From A Shadow Comes Light { tag } Slasher/Niomi

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Note: Takes place a few days after the eggs were clutched.
It felt so good to be out of the infirmary at last. There were still moments when he was tired, and therefore slow. But considering what he'd been like not long ago, he'd consider his condition vastly improved. He had a room in the crafter's quarters, considering his position as a Journeyman, he was working in the smithy and with the beasts, and while it was a day-by-day situation, he was more than fine with that. It got him out, about, with Corvo again and allowed him to take his mind off of the ache in his chest from not seeing Niomi on a day-to-day basis like he was used to.

Those few glances they were able to exchange, those few words, just didn't feel like enough for him. But he was trying to do right for her, to show her that he wasn't going to keep that strangle hold on her that he'd held for so long. He wasn't his father, and she wasn't his drudge. He was a man that loved her and she... she didn't know, and he wasn't sure if he could tell her. She was so happy, and candidacy suited her.

That's why he couldn't tell her about Emrys. Or at least one of the reasons. Because there were eggs on the sands now. He'd first gotten the shadow kit the day before the clutch had dropped, found in the Weyr Yard apparently abandoned. He'd took hold of it, they'd found a certain kinship in those first few moments, and being the soft-heart that he was underneath, Cat had decided he couldn't leave the poor thing behind. He'd intended to show Niomi the next day, but then the eggs had appeared, and that idea had been dropped, and then a day had gone by when they hadn't seen one another.

And then two.

And now the were on day three.

He glanced inside his shirt, where the little furflit was tucked away and sleeping, content to be where he was, and the man smiled. "You'll get to meet her eventually, I think." He let the shirt fall back, and leaned forward to take another bite of his food, then reached for his klah, thoughts racing through his mind.

He just wasn't sure when he'd be able to make introductions - scratch that, when he'd be willing to - and he didn't think he could so soon after the eggs. It had nothing to do with wanting to keep Emrys from her, and everything to do with the timing of things. He wanted to see her, let her spill her happiness and joy over the eggs first, and then maybe see from there. As it was now, he knew he wouldn't immediately. There were many things he wasn't sure of these days, as he regained his footing and started to find new roles in life. But if there were two things Cat knew for certain, Niomi's happiness and well being would always come before his own.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Now that the eggs were on the Sands, it seemed like a flurry of activity had hit the Candidate's, with new lists of chores and lessons, and some days Niomi felt like her head would explode from all the new information. But she had also found that she felt starved for it. The dragons, the Weyr, the South, Atricis and all it included, just everything. It was a whole new world, entirely different and beyond anything she could have imagined back at Emerald Fields Hold. And best of all, Cataren was still in her life. Even if she saw him less(which was thoroughly depressing), when they did manage to see each other, she could give him a quick hug, or talk to him without whispering, and there was no fear of being beaten, or getting him in trouble(much more importantly).

But back to the present. Food. Food was nice. She had finished her chores for the day, and was already planning on maybe trying to find Cataren, but figured she should eat something first. He had listened to her stomach grumble far too many times over the turns as it is. So when she entered the Dining Hall, it was odd, but her eyes seemed to shoot straight for the slightly hunched, but more than familiar figure. What?

The girl froze a second, blinking several times, then a huge grin split her face, and she practically floated straight for the man. She managed to slip around without detection, using a few other people walking around the large room, and came up behind him. Gently, her fingers found their way over his eyes from behind, and she leaned closer to him to be heard above the gentle murmur of the room, ”You have three guesses as to who this is.” It was rare that she got the drop on him, and her tone was playful, and upbeat as opposed to the potentially sultry one someone might expect from such a move on her part. But that was not what her and Cat's relationship was(as much as she might entertain the impossible thought every now and then).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
~:Stories:~ ~:Monies:~ ~:Plotter:~
Ember

Mon May 21, 2018 2:03 am

The gentle press of fingers should have startled him. Perhaps had it been another woman, it might have. But this wasn't just any woman, this was Niomi, and rather than send a shock through his system, the feel of her hands over her eyes sent several tiny sparks through his body that told his heart to beat and his blood to race. He had to give himself a moment - no, several - before he was able to respond, because his throat was suddenly too dry and sticky to give her a proper response, and if he'd tried to say anything, he'd come around sounding ill again, and that would just make her worry. He just couldn't let that happen, not after everything she'd been through the last couple of months or more when it came to him.

A moment was granted then, during which he gave himself a moment to tap his chin in feigned consideration. Eventually through that action, he found his voice, though to his ears it still sounded off and he as certain to her own it would as well. Or maybe that wasn't tight and sticky he was hearing, but something husky instead. And all because she'd placed her fingers over his eyes to surprise him with. Faranth, how was it that he could react to such a simple touch as that? His heart thump-thump-thumped in response, as if that was supposed to give him a reason, but he couldn't understand, or maybe he just didn't want to admit to it yet, because that would mean tying her down, and tying her down...

Tying her down meant taking away everything she'd been working so hard on since arriving at the Weyr. It made his heart hurt, and his entire body ache, to deny himself the one thing he wanted but couldn't have, and yet he would, because it was for her. All of this would be for her, and one day she would see that, when she moved on and found someone else, and forgot about him...

His chest started to grow tight, and as though sensing this, Emrys curled up more tightly against him. Gave a little lick against him in an attempt to comfort him, even if all he ended up "kissing" was the fabric of his undershirt. He swallowed again, and tried to resist touching the lump resting against his chest. "Not the Weyrwoman..." He said, knowing that would make her giggle. "Certainly not the Candidatemaster..." Again she would giggle, he was sure of it.

And so he did what came naturally to him; without opening his eyes, he lifted one of her hands from an eye, kissed the tips of her fingers, and murmured against them, "Niomi..."

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm

This was not the first time they'd played this game. And they'd both been on both sides over the Turns. Granted, it was never this out in the open. That in itself sent a little thrill down her spine. Candidate's were not allowed to fraternize with romance or anything, but that did nothing to quiet her inner feelings and thoughts, thoughts she'd had for as many turns as she'd known him. And as Cataren tapped his chin, she couldn't help but grin. That deliberate movement gave him away. He knew it was her. Who else would it be?

But that question brought to mind a whole fresh slew of chaos into her mind, and while he tapped his chin in pretend thought, she screamed at herself inwardly to stop the sudden flood of images. Who else would it be? Shells, it could be any woman! She had been so busy with Lessons and Chores, who knows who else he might have met at the Weyr? Who else might have her heart skip every other beat when he was around? Who else would touch him with such affectionate, soft fingers? She begged then for him to say her name, guess it was her. But what if he didn't? What if he thought her touch was some other woman's? Some woman who was allowed to love on him, who dared to, even? Some woman he had met and fell for while she was too busy with dragons.

"Not the Weyrwoman..." She was so caught up in her own selfish thoughts that his first guess caught her off guard enough that a short, small giggle ripped from her lips. She couldn't help it. Oh, come now, Cataren! The Weyrwoman? Truly?

"Certainly not the Candidatemaster..." Again, a surprised, amused giggle escaped. Even if she had had brutal thoughts of another woman being in his life, playing with him in such a way(not that her intentions were romantic, because there was no way that would ever happen. He had no interest in her like that, she was sure of it), she knew it would not be the Weyrwoman, or the Candidatemaster.

And then she felt his hand move to hers, take it slightly, and move her fingers down to his lips. As he kissed them, a tiny, small sigh escaped her lips, her eyes narrowing the slightest bit at the feel of those lips brushing so-softly against her skin. Oh, but what she would give for them to touch her own...A hard lump formed in her throat briefly as he murmured her name, and she was glad he hadn't looked at her yet. If he had, he would see the strained expression, her eyes perhaps a bit too wide. But turns of practice won over rapidly, and she leaned down, giving him a brief hug, ”Hello, Cataren! Long time no see!” She released him quicker than might have been needed, and sat beside him on the long bench, ”I was going to come find you, yet here you are! I got lucky.” She smiled warmly at him.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Thu May 31, 2018 2:57 am

His smile could have lit up the entire cavern. To know that she had been on her way to find him! The bundle against his chest shifted, happy apparently that he was settled and he placed a hand over it without thinking. "Well, no that I'm out of the infirmary, it shouldn't be too hard to find me. I'll be in the stables or at the forge. More the former than the latter for a while. The healers think I shouldn't be working metal so much yet, not until I build up some of my strength back."

Emrys started to wriggle, either from the heaviness of his hand, or the heat, he wasn't sure which. But he frowned and looked inside his shirt. There was going to be no hiding the shadow furflit after a moment or two. He started to itch, in the hopes of making it seem like he had an itch, and started to speak of something she would be happy about in the hopes of distracting her from the moment. "Tell me, Nimmy... I've heard there are eggs now." He wriggled his brows and winked. "How about we find a way to celebrate that won't rankle the senses of the Candidatemasters? We can't look at the stars like we used to, but maybe we can get away with sharing some sweets after dinner some night?"

He shrugged. The wriggling under his fingers was stilling. "Think about it, let me know... for now, why don't you tell me about the eggs?"

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:44 am

With their proximity, it wasn't hard for her to miss him fidgeting so much, and her brow furrowed. Someone not quite as familiar with him might not have noticed it, but she had spent turns staring at him, watching him. He spoke of the infirmary and his instructions to perhaps take it easy, and she agreed thoroughly, ”Good! You need to take it easy, and let your body rebuild itself. I'll be honest, I've been concerned you would over do it. I do hope you're following the Healer's instructions...” Her expression was earnest as she looked at him.

And then he looked down into his clothes, which she might have missed if she hadn't had her eyes already resting on him, and she frowned. When he itched, her lips pursed a little, and her gaze narrowed a bit. But it would be rude to interrupt, and she was supposed to be well behaved as a Candidate. At the offer of some sort of celebration, she giggled a little and nodded, ”We could probably figure something out, as long as I'm not out past curfew.” But even if she was grinning at the idea of celebrating with the one person she of course wanted to more than anything, he was still itching.

Ignoring his question about the eggs, she shook her head a little, and reached for his shirt, fingers not quite reaching the fabric though, ”What is going on with you? Did you get bitten by bugs or something?” Genuine concern was writ across her features, filling her green eyes.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:05 am

"Hm? No, not at all. I'm fine. I'm just eager to hear about the eggs, and how you're doing." He took her hand and gave it a gentle tug down, trying to pull her next to him. "Come, really, I'd like to know." He was trying to get her to sit, because Emrys was starting to wriggle more, and he was having a difficult time getting the little thing to hold still. Moving Niomi seemed to be the only course of action at the moment.

Only, what he hadn't anticipated was for the furflit to poke his head out and he placed a hand over his head in an attempt to push him back down, hoping Niomi hadn't seem. "How have you been, by the way? I've missed you." Which was the truth, always and forever, but was said so quickly it might have seemed suspect, as would be the way he was sat at that moment, struggling with what was trying to pop out of his shirt.

Suddenly he yelped as it nipped at his skin and wriggled down and he smiled brightly at her, hand clamped on his shirt. "So those eggs..."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:06 am

It would have taken a blind person to miss the furry head that popped itself out of the man's shirt. And for some reason he thought there was the slightest chance she would miss it. Oh, Cat...”Cataren, what is in your shirt? It had fur, and is alive, and why are you trying to hide it from me?” That last bit came out more hurt sounding than she intended, but as she said it she realized that...why was he trying to hide it? Why would he hide something like a small critter from her of all people?

Her brow furrowed, and she sat down next to him as he had tugged on her hand, obviously wanting her to sit, but her face remained stoic against it. And she ignored the other questions, because by the shell, come on! As the man literally yelped though, she reached for his shirt, a rather bold move for the normally more demure woman, ”Cataren!” Her tone brooked no argument.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ember

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 pm

There was no way to hide his secret now. He knew that. For all his want to keep Emrys hidden for Niomi's sake so she could revel in the hatching coming up and the eggs that had been laid, he wasn't able to keep this own excitement of his away from her now. He sighed and carefully reached into his shirt, pulled out the shadow furflitt, and let the little lump settle in the palm of his cupped together hands.

"Nimmy, I'd like you to meet my little friend Emrys. He's a shadow furflitt, from what I've been told. I found him, and he's attached himself to me." Uncurling, the little thing looked up at her, but she wasn't his warm shirt, and she wasn't wasn't his warm hands, and with a tiny little sound he curled back up and went promptly back to sleep. "He's been doing that a lot, eating and sleeping. I'm not sure how he ended up alone, but he's become my little buddy."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―
Slasher

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 am

Niomi wasn't entirely sure what she was expecting, but what he pulled from his shirt certainly wasn't it. And the girl couldn't help but offer a muted squeee under her breath as the furflit lifted his head, and blinked at her, ”By the shell, Cat...He's precious!” She couldn't help but want to lift a hand and pet the creature, but he lay his head back down and curled up, so she refrained.

”Where ever did you get him? I've never seen such a creature...He makes me miss my felines.” She blushed a little, but she knew that they were taken care of, if not by other kitchen workers, but themselves. They had all been very good pest control, after all. ”And if he is as young as he seems, it doesn't surprise me all he does is eat and sleep.” She laughed a little, obviously delighted by the creature's presence. ”What does he eat?” She leaned forward a little to get a better look at the furred ball of a creature.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage