Records of the Past { tag } Aino/Strimian

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 am

It as slow going, but the healers were finally allowing him time outside of the infirmary. Not a lot, not what he wanted, but enough that he could sit in the dining hall and eat his own meals without having a healer sat there for fear that he would dribble on himself or fall asleep in the dish. Soon enough, he could go outside without sneaking, and from there, he'd be able to start working again. Those one or two instances when he'd managed to get out in the fresh air, he'd spent it with Corvo, and the beast had remembered him, thank Faranth. It would be nice to work with him again, to be with metals and animals again. It couldn't happen soon enough, but he was starting to realize he needed to be patient in the healing process. Too many moments were he'd faced possible set backs and instances of feeling ill. He couldn't stand the thought of being stuck here too much longer, and he knew if he pushed it further, that's exactly what would happen.

Besides, he'd made a promise to Niomi - he needed to be well enough for when she stood so he could be in the Stands for the next hatching. She'd failed to Impress the first time, and he was convinced it was because he hadn't been there. He wouldn't make that mistake a second time. There would be another hatching soon enough, according to talk, and he knew it was far enough ahead in the future that it would be from the young queen Andromedath. He had time, and if he played his cards right, he could be there. For her. He needed to heal for her.

He couldn't carry large dishes around the dining hall, but he was able to get a bowl at a time, and so long as he didn't move fast, he was perfectly able to get along. There was a healer nearby watching, without making him feel like he was being stifled, and so he felt like he had some level of independence again. Soon enough he had a fresh meal in front of him, the first he'd had since rushing from the North, and he couldn't wait to dig into it. He didn't think he'd eat very much, not with how shit-poor his appetite had been as of late, but he was going to try, and sure enough, it was the best bite of stew he'd had in ages. He looked around him, trying to get some sense of what was taking place about him now that he had the chance to observe, and he really had no idea what to make of things. It was his first chance to get some understanding of the Weyr as a whole, and he was...

He was lost.

There were riders, crafters, handlers, people of all different flavors and walks of life, but he was not used to being surrounded by so many. He was used to being at the Hold, and being surrounded by certain things. But this wasn't bad. It was nice in a way. The music was good, and while different, he seemed comfortable with what was different. These were the things he would have changed at Emerald Valley when he became Holder, but now that was something that would never happen. His jaw set in a line, and for a moment the stew in his mouth became tasteless. A part of him wondered what had happened after he and Niomi had escaped the North, and he figured that one of these days, when he was steadier, and perhaps after he had the marks to support the two of them, protect them both, he would try and find out. But right now? It wasn't safe, and he didn't know when it ever would be.

Shaking his head, he went back to eating, and decided he needed something to try and take his mind off of things. Hopefully soon enough it would come along, but for now, he focused on the music, on the conversations around him, and hopefully, more pleasant thoughts of Niomi that were normally at the forefront of his thoughts.
Ainokesshou

Sun May 06, 2018 1:57 am

The population of a Weyr was in a constant state of flux, and it created a lot of work for someone trying to keep track of numbers, crafts, family lines. Strimian did her best to keep those records up to date, though more than one person had asked why she thought it was so important. The answer was, she didn't exactly think that each detail she recorded mattered. But she couldn't know what some future historian would be looking for, and she couldn't count the times that she had wished a previous archivist had recorded some little fact that probably seemed unimportant at the time.

For quite some time, now, her list of occupants for the Weyr had included one comatose male, details unknown, then changed to one recovering male, details unknown. She was aware that he had entered the Weyr with a young woman who was now a candidate, and she had gotten that woman's information down, but she had been reluctant to rely on a third party for his information. If he had passed away, she would have asked his friend for his details, but he was apparently recovering at a reasonable pace.

She was leaving him alone to recover, not wanting to add to his stress and slow his healing (and let's be honest, talking about his past would obviously be stressful, since he had apparently been so determined to leave it behind that he traveled to another continent). She didn't know exactly where he was from, after all, but his friend certainly didn't speak like a Southerner. But when she walked into dinner, there he was, eating stew and apparently enjoying it. As she approached, he seemed lost in thought, and she set a few bowls of food across the table from him a bit loudly. hoping to catch his attention without startling him.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember

Mon May 21, 2018 1:47 am

It didn't happen right away that he realized there was someone else at the table. It took a little while in fact. He was eating one moment, and the next there was someone else there. It was almost as if the other individual had appeared there out of no where. But that was almost impossible, he must have just not noticed. That was the more logical deduction at least. He considered that a conclusion more worthy of his favor and set aside his spoon to look at the other individual a moment, admitting to himself that he was disappointed it wasn't Niomi surprising him from her chores. He could be pleasant with her, he supposed, but just because she was sat across from him didn't mean she was there for a chat.

She did have that look about her though. The kind that most people had on their face, or about them in general, when they wanted something. Not that he was a very good judge of that. But he knew enough to have some idea of what that look was like, and so it was easy enough to guess that's what was going on here. If she wanted to chat, the least he could do was be friendly about it. Faranth knew he was lonely for company, and before he was drug back to the infirmary, the least he could do was share a few words with a fellow diner.

He noticed her knots. A harper, Journey by level. He bowed his head in respect before he spoke to her. "Is there something I can help with, ma'am?" She didn't look to be that much older than him, but he knew better than to be impolite. "Not much I can lift or pull at the moment, but if you need help with anything else, I'd be more than happy lend a hand. So long as you keep the healers off my heals for a little while longer." And if it was just company that she wanted, well... the healers would need to catch up with him eventually, he supposed.
Ainokesshou

Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 am

Strimian smiled at the man's offer. Clearly he was desperate to avoid going back to the infirmary, and it certainly was no place for an active man. She could probably stand a few days of bed rest better than he could as long as she could have her records at hand....but then, that wouldn't be considered rest, would it? "I wouldn't ask you for anything physical right now," she promised, as she couldn't think of anything she couldn't do that she would ask of a man barely escaping from a sickbed.

"It's just that I keep most of the records for the Weyr up to date," she continued, stirring her spoon in her stew to give her hands something to do and her eyes something to focus on that wasn't his face. She was pretty sure the two of them had been running away from something together, and with their obvious attachment, she was guessing one of them had abandoned a spouse or would-be spouse chosen by someone else, "and our records are currently missing some information."

Strimian didn't much care if they had run out on a betrothal, or even if both of them had. Running out on a spouse...well, unless that delicate looking candidate had been beaten by her husband, and there was no sign of that, the former spouse might need some way to contact them. If nothing else, there was the issue of, well, issue.

"I need to know your name, where you're from, if there might be anyone you have any...obligation....to," she said, "but you don't have to tell me everything now," she continued. "The records have been incomplete for a while, so if you need to take a few days to figure out how to...phrase things," she said delicately, "I'll need you to see me when you're completely released from the infirmary."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 am

Records. Right. He should have known that something like this would have come up eventually. He wasn't going to let himself worry about it, even though there was a sliver of himself that panicked about it in some capacity. He couldn't help it - too many personal questions would lead to too many personal complications, and he had to avoid those. He wasn't too worried about Nimmy, she was safe and secure in her placement in the Weyr. He on the other hand, was not. "Okay. Well, I'll do my best to answer." He offered as much of a smile as he could provide...

...which stiffened, subtly, as soon as she started speaking. Name and obligation would be easy enough to provide, but telling her where he was from? That would be like tying a big, red flag to himself and waving his body through the entire Weyr Yard. It just wasn't going to happen. He tried to relax his face when he realized he was starting to grind his teeth together - it wasn't her fault, she was only doing her job - but it was damn near impossible. But he had a few days, right? Perhaps he could use that time to come up with something, feed the bit to Nimmy and ask her to give it to the woman if she came around asking the same thing?

Or he could just feed it to her himself, make sure she left well enough alone and more importantly, tried to ensure she would leave Nimmy alone. He shifted his body where he sat, and pushed his plate away, no longer hungry, no longer interested in what he had to eat, but more than willing to nurse what he had in his mug. "Journeyman Cataren of the Beast and Smith Crafts, Ruatha Hold, obligation to Niomi."
Ainokesshou

Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 am

Well, she wasn't surprised that his response was a little stilted and reluctant. But...obligation to Niomi? Maybe they had promised to each other and were being prevented from marrying back at Ruatha? The two of them were just so adorable, but Strimian knew that there were rules about the conduct of candidates. She would provide him with a copy of them, but how could she do so delicately?

Ah, and she hadn't given him her own name. "I'm Strimian," she said politely, "Journeyman harper," and she grinned at him, "My only obligation is to my craft and the Weyr. But if you have an obligation to Niomi," and she thought that was her way to get him informed without acknowledging that he needed the rules for is own sake, "you should know about the rules for candidacy, so that you don't ask anything of her that might violate them."

She nodded firmly. "I'll bring a copy to you in the Infirmary if you like," and she picked up her spoon again. "You can read them at your leisure so that you know what to expect for her."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:01 am

He lifted a brow. There was nothing going on between him and Niomi. It was just that... No, he couldn't explain it to her. How was he going to wriggle his way out of this? It was such a delicate situation, and yet he couldn't exactly lie about it - that just felt like he was being unfaithful to Niomi, and he didn't want to do that. She was far too precious to him to lie about something like that.

He frowned. Why did it need to be so difficult? It wasn't fair - not to him, not to Niomi. Perhaps he shouldn't have fun from the Hold. Perhaps he shouldn't have taken her away. But if he hadn't, Faranth knew where he'd be right now, and Faranth knew what would have happened to her without him there to protect her. He'd done the right thing at the time, and there was no going back now.

"Me and Niomi aren't together. Not right now at least. There's no need for me to receive a copy of the candidate code of conduct, let me assure you on that." He doubted it would assure her, Strimian as she'd addressed herself to be. "Nothing is going to happen between us." Not that he wouldn't have liked it, but...