Bonding Blueriders - Tag: N'can/Alt

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu May 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Ao'mek took a nice long drink from his toast. He loved this drink. It was so refreshing and made him feel all bubbly inside. Not that he didn't usually feel bubbly inside. Bubbly was all he felt sometimes to the point where it would annoy some people with how bubbly he was. That never phased him though. He'd rather be overly bubbly and deal with some grumpy people, than be grumpy himself. It was better to have a positive outlook, that was just his opinion and he liked to think that he could remain rational even with a more positive out look and cheery attitude.

"Um...i-if I may as-sk...you s-s-sure this is...uh...m-m-m-more than just fruit?"

He took another sip of the drink and grinned devilishly. "Oh yeah, I'm sure. It's as strong as it is delicious. Don't worry, I won't let you get too drunk off of it. It does come up and bite you on the ass though, so just go slow and you'll be fine." Ao'mek explained. If he had to hazard a guess he'd bet that N'can would really start to feel that drink when he was about halfway down it. That might have been a not fair assessment, but he bet he was right. He wasn't a drinker, but he drank enough to be pretty good at knowing his limit and the limit of others.

"So N'can. Tell me a little something about yourself. You've been our wing for awhile, but I feel like I've hardly gotten to know you. That will simply not do. I like knowing and getting along with my wingmates." Ao'mek inquired. He really did try and make it a point to learn as much as he could about those he flew with. N'can was going to be a little harder nut to crack, but he wasn't the sort to give up so easily.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Altreis

Sat May 12, 2018 12:14 am

Briefly, some inner voice insisted that he needed to face what was coming and N'can glanced up-right in time to see Ao'mek grin at him. The effect was immediate: N'can blushed and dropped his eyes back to his drink, studying it as if it utterly fascinated him. Whyyy did Ao'mek have to give him such a look? Why did he have to bring him here in the first place? This night was already turning into a disaster with his lack of knowledge about alcohol and blushing every five minutes...

It only got worse when Ao'mek gave him his answer. As strong as it was delicious? Uhhh...oh that was bad. That was very, very bad. Sure Ao'mek said he wouldn't let N'can get too drunk off it but what counted as "too drunk" to Ao'mek? Was it basically passing out? Because for N'can "too drunk" came a lot sooner. He had seen for himself how tongues were loosened and people did foolish things when they were drunk. He really didn't want to know what he might do, who he might offend in any way, if he got drunk.

Go slow, he chanted silently to himself. Go slow. The glass was set down on the bar, N'can taking a few deep breaths. There was no way he was even close to being drunk, he was confident of that at least. Drunk could not possibly be wound so tight from nerves. Didn't people like...get a little drunk to try and have the courage to do things? Nope, he was definitely not drunk yet. Ohhhh yes, he was not drunk! N'can brightened a little as he remembered the Gather at Evanoria Weyrhold. He hadn't quite been drunk then and he remembered well how he'd felt. Currently he wasn't even near that, minus being a little dizzy from blushing so much.

So of course the next thing to happen was Ao'mek saying something that turned N'can's blood to ice, taking every last ounce of heat out of his face. "That will simply not do." Oh shards those words...together like that they were very bad words. They were words that spoke of something he had done terribly wrong. "Nooooo," N'can whimpered softly, not even realizing the word had snuck past his lips. "I...I'm ss-or-ry Ao'mek. I-i-i-it'ssss not tha-that I don't want to...I mean...uh...I-I-I...th-there isn't much to know!" The stammered mess came out in a rush, N'can desperate to make right whatever wrong he had unknowingly committed. He cringed slightly, hunching his shoulders forward and playing with his glass. Not once, not even briefly, did his eyes leave said glass. He couldn't look, couldn't see the fury and disappointment that was sure to be written on Ao'mek's face...
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Parker
Site Admin

Sat May 12, 2018 4:30 am

Ao'mek watched the other bluerider closely. N'can only seemed to have eyes for the glass in his hands. That was something very obvious he'd noted about N'can. He never did really look people in the eye. A sure sign of a lack of confidence. Maybe that'd be a place he could work with N'can on first. Really, he had no idea what N'can faced with his social timidness. He'd never been shy a day in his life, but Ao'mek believed that everyone should learn to be confident enough with themselves to enjoy the simple joy of relaxed one on one conversation at the very least. He had no idea if he would made any sort of difference, but he did believe that he should try. Even if he couldn't understand completely he wasn't the sort to just give up on a person either because there are difficulties.

"Nooooo," N'can whimpered softly, not even realizing the word had snuck past his lips. "I...I'm ss-or-ry Ao'mek. I-i-i-it'ssss not tha-that I don't want to...I mean...uh...I-I-I...th-there isn't much to know!"

A concerned look crossed his face as he turned more towards the seemingly panicked man. Ao'mek wasn't even sure what he had said or done that had caused N'can to go into such a slight panic, but he knew whatever he said or did next would be rather critical. Warm spiced brown eyes looked gently at N'can, though he refused to look at him at all. "Hey now, easy there..." Ao'mek said in a gentle voice and with a gentle, long digit lifting his chin to get him to look at him. His other hand sat his glass down and moved to rest on his shoulder in a comforting manner, but also to try and subconsciously get him to not slouch. Posture did play a part in how a person felt about themselves. "N'can you are an entire person. Not half, but a whole, unique, and amazing living creature with intelligent thoughts and complex emotions....I am sure there is a ton to know." He picked up his glass again. "Relax, okay, I absolutely promise that you're not going to say or do anything to offend or upset me." He clinked his glass against N'can's and then took a drink, then the finger on his chin made a gentle lift of N'can's glass to indicate he should take another sip. Maybe a bit of liquid courage would help in this situation.
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Altreis

Sat May 12, 2018 5:30 am

It was risky for N'can to look away, technically. If Ao'mek chose to strike him he wouldn't have a clue the blow was coming until it landed. To raise his eyes though, to be in a less than fully submissive pose while he tried desperately to apologize...that was asking for trouble when he had more than enough already.

The gentle tone and touch did nothing to reassure N'can either. There were those who became eerily calm when they were at their most furious. A shiver ran through him when he was made to look at Ao'mek, one of fear. N'can swallowed, trying and failing to anticipate what was coming. Ao'mek didn't look mad, didn't sound mad, but the other hand was moving towards him as well. Initially N'can flinched away slightly, though he forced himself to be still a second later. If he really had messed up he had to sit there and take whatever punishment Ao'mek gave him.

Except...Ao'mek did no such thing, unless he was going for the strangest punishment ever. Instead he was going on about how N'can was a whole, complete person and supposedly intelligent and amazing. N'can had serious doubts about all of that but he was not about to try telling Ao'mek he was wrong.

Instead he forced himself to look now that Ao'mek had made him, listened to what was said and tried so hard to make sense of it. He wasn't upset? How was that even possible?! Just about everything that he could do wrong, N'can had managed to pull off so far. There was no denying what was happening though, with Ao'mek insisting that N'can could relax and that there was no chance of him upsetting him. Ao'mek even opted to turn it into a toast, which N'can hastily moved to echo-a little too hastily perhaps, swallowing one big gulp of his drink before nervously setting the cup down. Faranth knew he'd probably drop it and get them both in trouble with the bartender, if not the Weyr Leadership...
Parker
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 1:03 am

"I'm sure you're thinking to yourself that nothing I just said could be true, but it really is the goddess's honest truth." He assured him before he took another drink of the delicious concoction in his hands. He watched then too as N'can took quite a big gulp and couldn't help but grin a little. "More drinks like that and you'll be really feeling it soon. Don't worry, I do promise to not let you get too drunk, but my friend...I think getting some drunk will be good for you. It'll relax you and then maybe you'll see that it is possible to socialize and have fun without anyone getting upset with you." He'd have to make sure that he didn't also drink too much, not that he was ever that bad about getting too drunk.

"For now...if it is easier for you...you can just enjoy your drink and I shall regale you with embarrassing stories of myself." Nothing made a person seem more like a normal person than embarrassing stories and Ao'mek was the sort to not mind telling them about himself. "So...I was born in Walled. Born into a family of Legionnaires so you can imagine how strict my parents were. Well, when I was about...five...I think...maybe six...I decided that I wanted to sneak in to watch my mother and father train. Wasn't suppose to do that, by the way, but I decided I would be clever and get away with it. I managed to get all the way out to the end of the coliseum where they were practicing jousting on runnerback. It was so fascinating. However, that was the problem....I was so distracted that I managed to trip over my own feet and land face first into a large pile of runner shit. It was...the absolute worst. Of course, I got caught immediately after that. My mother, who was laughing her ass off, told me that's what I got for breaking the rules. Then she sent me straight to the baths and then home. I was grounded for a few days....but honestly it was so hilarious I didn't mind." Ao'mek finished up the story with a chuckle before he took another sip of his drink.
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 am

After the large gulp of his drink N'can was...well he began to think that had been a bad idea, even before Ao'mek commented on it. He was supposed to be taking it slow so that he didn't get too drunk-a state Ao'mek repeated his intent to prevent. Uh...but he also thought N'can needed to be somewhat drunk? That was a good thing?

N'can sat blinking at Ao'mek, utterly confused. Nothing made sense around him. N'can halfway expected Ao'mek to declare that the sky was green and Thread would only Fall into the sea from now on.

Wait what?! N'can's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to protest-but was too little too late to stop Ao'mek from going into his story. Ohhhh this wasn't good. Ao'mek was telling an embarrassing story about himself because N'can had handled their conversation with his usual finesse. Not good, not right, this needed fixing. How though?

However a moment later N'can was riveted as Ao'mek stated he was born in Walled. That...was something they had in common. And the story Ao'mek was telling him? It started with a six turn old deciding to disobey his parents. Even though it was someone else and far in the past, N'can gulped-but his throat closed from nerves. How badly was Ao'mek punished for this when he was caught? He had to have been caught. He-fell face-first into a pile of runnerdung. Which was also when he was caught. It had to be the humor of that event that spared him, for the punishment Ao'mek got didn't sound all that bad. It certainly didn't seem to have affected him much. Even Ao'mek found it funny, somehow.

Oh wait he was done! N'can was quick to jump in before Ao'mek could start another story, desperate to do better at being Ao'mek's...guest? Company? Whatever...he just wanted to not be a disappointment and a lot of work for Ao'mek!

"I'm also from Walled!" N'can blurted out, as the first thing that came to mind to stop Ao'mek. "A-a-a-and um...I don't really have any funny stories. I'm just...a failure and disappointment. Always have been. It's why I keep to myself; so no one has to deal with me. I'm sorry Ao'mek; I should have said something sooner...I just didn't want to upset you."
Parker
Site Admin

Sun May 13, 2018 3:15 am

Ao'mek was still laughing at that bit of his past, but stopped and gave N'can his full attention when he started to speak. "Really? Small world isn't it?" He said with excitement as N'can declared that he was also a Walled native. Granted there were quite a few of them in New Atricis now, but still it was always fun to meet another southerner. However, what he said made his smile tug down a little and a confused look cross on his face.

"Okay first...stop that...like right now. You are a treasure and not failure and I'm going to keep telling you that until you actually believe it." Ao'mek said holding up a finger to emphasize the point. "More importantly though...you have an amazing blue dragon who thought you were everything but a failure and disappointment, so much so that he decided out of all the other hopeful people that you were the most perfect person to be the other half of his soul." Ao'mek decided to take a small risk with what he asked next. "Tell me, N'can....do you think Violath is a failure and disappointment?"
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 am

"Stop wha-?" N'can began to ask, shutting his mouth a moment later as Ao'mek continued. This...was not going well. He tried his best to smooth things over and yet...that seemed to be when he made them worse. Was there nothing he was good at? Well...maybe screwing up counted...

Oooookay. Ao'mek was the first person to insist such things about him. If it was that important N'can would have to keep it in mind in the future. Around Ao'mek he had to pretend he...well that he at least was sort of on even ground. A treasure seemed a stretch but he could avoid trying to correct Ao'mek on that point. And one thing he definitely could agree with Ao'mek on, as the man kept talking, was that Violath was amazing. Even in the middle of this confusing fiasco, his latest disaster, N'can couldn't help the small smile that formed as he thought of the blue. Violath really was a treasure, though he was well aware every rider felt the same way about their dragon.

That warmth was short-lived, as Ao'mek drove his point home. N'can was caught so off-guard that he actually gaped, unable to form a reply. What did he say to that? Of course he knew what Violath thought of him...but that was different! For some reason yes, Violath had decided that he alone matched him the best of those on the sands that day. Truthfully N'can was still shocked by that, especially considering Violath's green sister had declared all the candidates stupid but moments before and even made a point by stepping on N'can's foot, pressing it into the hot sands so that it was seared by their heat. Remembering that though, how Violath spoke of his less friendly sister and then N'can...

"No." The denial was soft, a dangerous word to utter, but an honest answer to the question asked of him. "He...would be everything you've said and then some. Sees the best in everyone, even less agreeable sorts. I suppose that's why he likes me. Even in me he sees something, though I don't know what."
Parker
Site Admin

Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 am

"No."

Ao'mek's brown eyes widened and he nodded his head emphatically as he knew that was exactly what N'can would answer with. No rider could ever think so lowly of their rider. It was simply impossible. That was the other half of your soul. The very reason for your existence was that beast. To lose that half of yourself...a lot of people decided to not go on living without them. Ao'mek couldn't think of ever living without Tlamehath.

"He...would be everything you've said and then some. Sees the best in everyone, even less agreeable sorts. I suppose that's why he likes me. Even in me he sees something, though I don't know what."

"N'can, sweetie, dragons don't pick people who aren't worthy of them. The dragon is the man, the man is the dragon. That is how it is. That's why so many of us take honorifics. It symbolizes the change of who we once was, to who we are the moment our lives are changed at impression." Ao'mek stated with genuine feeling and care. He reached a hand out and placed it again gently on the man's shoulder. "You are Violath, so whatever you think of him, you need to think of for yourself. Okay? Now, how about we toast to ourselves and our dragons?" Ao'mek raised his glass one more time and tipped it back.

If Ao'mek was a good judge of character and alcohol....he would wager to guess that N'can was starting to truly notice the few big gulps he'd taken. With that last one he would likely have at least a good buzz. Now if he could get him to drink a little more maybe he'd finally relax a little bit.
Image Image Image Image

Altreis

Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Sweetie? N'can gave Ao'mek a puzzled look. That was...not a term he was used to hearing, much less being called. It was rare enough that he heard a neutral let alone positive word to describe him...but sweetie? That was even more unusual. Or maybe it wasn't and he was the weird one for not hearing it more. How would he know?

The rest of it about being Violath...that only confused N'can further. Impression did indeed bond them so strongly that they were two halves of a whole, but that didn't mean that N'can couldn't be the worse half.

"If what I think of Violath applies to me..." he began out loud, thoroughly confused on the subject but still liking talking about his beloved blue. "Um...except it can't? I just said Violath can see the best in others. When he hatched, he hatched along with a green who was a bit...um...well less friendly. That didn't stop him talking to her though, or the candidates. He was not the least bit shy. And when his sister...well...there's no other way to say this that I can think of. She was criticizing all the candidates and Violath was countering her...but not in a combative way. He simply insisted she didn't mean it, that we were not so bad...and he was so sweet that he did what he could to help me stand and walk. You see my foot got seared by the sands so it was not easy. And Violath, he was a just-hatched little blue dragonet. That didn't stop him from helping me over to where I could feed him though, thanks to that burned foot of mine."

N'can shook his head. "I admit, if I had the nerve I might try to help someone like that but address an entire cavern full of people? To even remotely contradict someone's opinion when they are so decisive about it? I could never do that."

And Ao'mek was suggesting another toast?! N'can looked at his drink dubiously. He was concerned about drinking more so soon when Ao'mek had warned him to go slow but...how could he not? Surely there was nothing that could be better, greater, to toast to than dragons. Any and all dragons really though that in this case it was Violath and Tlamehath...that made it even more special. Or specialer? No he was pretty sure it was "more special", though that sounded odd in his head.

Ah but the toast included him and Ao'mek as well. N'can firmly believed he wasn't worth toasting but Ao'mek certainly was, as were the dragons. Three out of four was a majority and won his vote.

"Sure," N'can murmured, picking his glass up and taking another drink. As he did though, he couldn't help but again appreciate the flavor. "Mmmm." After a moment N'can decided to keep sipping at it. Not gulping, no, and not because Ao'mek said to go slow either. N'can wanted to savor the fruity flavor and so sipped-but he didn't set the glass down again. Sip by sip he was starting to drain the glass.