Old Friends or New...? [Tag Ember/Varric]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Talonflame

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:04 am

It had been a long day for the young woman, she thought with a heavy sigh as she reached up absentmindedly to push a wayward lock of hair away from her face, frowning slightly when she realized that her little gemlizard wasn’t in his usual place, curled up in the crook of her neck. One could wonder how she would be able to miss his absence like that, but honestly, a gemlizard didn’t weigh all that much to begin with, and it wasn’t like Rasui was particularly large for his kind anyway, so his slight weight was definitely easy to ignore after a time. “Honestly, what am I going to do with him?” she asked no one in particular, heaving another sigh as she started to pull her hair up, weaving it into a loose braid before tying the end of the mass with a strip of leather that she always kept nearby for just that purpose. “Can’t do anything about it now, I suppose,” she commented, shaking her head as she glanced down the corridor, her senses catching the smells and sounds of the kitchens and realizing in that moment that she was practically starving. When she was catching up on her studies, she tended to forget the world around her, something that her former teachers at the Smith Hall told her would end up getting her in trouble one day. But honestly, what did they know about her? It wasn’t as if she would let herself starve or anything, so there was no need to be so dramatic.

A part of her had wondered, long ago when the sting was still new, just what she was still doing in Atricis, after two long Turns of being aged out as a candidate without a single dragon Impressing to her. Why, if she was no longer a candidate and no longer technically bound to the Weyr, had she lingered, opting to continue her studies under the various journeymen and masters that resided here? She could have just as easily have sailed back to the North, returned to Telgar for her studies, and be utterly done with dragons and everything to do with them. So why hadn’t she? Well, the answer, she soon discovered, was incredibly simple. She couldn’t leave the Weyr, she simply couldn’t. She had grown to love everything about dragons, everything about Weyr life, and the thought of leaving it for too long honestly caused anxiety to rise up within her chest. She had heard stories, tales from her mother about how children that were chosen to be candidates often didn’t return to their ancestral homes if they happened to age out. Well, she supposed those tales were true in her case, she thought with a smile as she started walking unconsciously towards the kitchens, her hunger finally winning out in the end. Wouldn’t do anyone any good if she keeled over now, would it?

It didn’t take her long to enter the kitchens, weaving her way through the small crowd that had gathered and plucking up a small plate of food for herself. It wasn’t much, just a few slices of roast wherry and tubers, with one or two sweetrolls on the side for contrast, but it would be enough for now. She quickly grabbed a mug of klah, sweetened it to taste, and then started for the tables, eager to get something into her belly to get it to stop with its incessant rumbling. Once she was done eating, she would quickly slip away again, disappearing back into the crafters’ area in order to continue with her studies. Since she was no longer able to look forward to being a dragonrider, after all, she had to do something with her life, in order to become useful to Atricis. She wanted above all to not feel like a burden, and finally attaining her journeywoman’s rank in the Smithcraft was the only thing that would have come easily to her at the moment. Perhaps she could specialize in blades and axes, like her father had. Yes, that seemed like a very fine way to make herself useful, at least for the time being. It wouldn’t take her very long, as her father had always told her that she came to things easily…

Thud! And with that, her concentration was thrust back into the present, as her attention had been so focused inward that she simply hadn’t been paying attention to the world around her again. The clattering of her mug and the plate of food she had gotten for herself quickly followed, and she realized in that moment that she had slammed directly into another person. Oh, crackdust, she thought with a groan as one of her hands immediately reaching up to rub at her forehead, which had hit the person’s shoulder. The other, just as quickly, reached out to rest along the other person’s shoulder blade, hoping to keep them steady and prevent them from falling. A silly thought, that her slight frame would have caused all that much damage, but it was part of her nature to try to help, no matter the situation at hand. “Oh, forgive me, I wasn’t paying attention… I-I didn’t mean to bump into you like that,” she started, stammering for a moment as she continued to rub at her forehead to ease the slight pain there. Pale blue eyes glanced up at the person then, and she was certain that they visibly widened in shock at what she saw there. “A… A’ric?” she asked, both eyebrows raising in shock as she saw a face that looked incredibly like her friend. But no, it couldn’t be him… could it?
.::| Alassiel of Akath .::|::. Rh'van of Armaitath .::|::. Kyrielle .::|::. D'aen of Rhovanioth |::.
ImageImageImageImage

.::| Saelle |::.

.::| Character Tracker .::|::. Marks Tracker |::.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 am

It had been a long day of chores, chores that had seemed never ending. Varric didn't mind them, there was nothing wrong with keeping himself busy and getting his hands dirty. In fact, he preferred it that way. It meant staying active and remaining useful. He didn't like the idea of falling redundant while being a candidate at the Weyr, and he knew he had only so long before he aged out completely. He wanted to prove that, even if he did falling by the wayside far as stepping out of of the age boundaries was concerned, he could still be useful. As far as he was concerned, the Weyr was his home now, he liked it too much to return north to Hold life, and he had no desire to leave what was a comfortable existence where enjoying men - as well as women - wouldn't get him looked at in a questionable manner at best. No, it was best here, and besides that, he had his cousin, and he had a growing number of friends, and while he'd left some of them in the north, there was always the chance of getting hold of a lizard to train to send messages back and forth.

But that would have to be for another day. Right now, he was tired, and needed to get something to break with. A snack, a little sit, some klah and maybe a bit of water. Perhaps some company and that was about it. Normally he'd be scouting out for people to possibly play with later, but right now he was exhausted, and he wasn't sure if he'd have the energy to play later. Best to save himself for another day when he could devote himself to a little fun elsewhere. Besides, as he'd learned, he had to be careful about his patterns, or else he was going to get caught. It had almost happened the other day when the Candidatemaster had walked by his hiding spot with a pretty black haired woman that had told him she could show him a thing or two when it came to using ones hands (she really had been able to) and thank Faranth nothing had been seen or heard. It had still been too close of a call and it was best to lay low for a day or two before sneaking around again.

He was Varric though, and his thoughts were hooked on certain things. So heavily that he wasn't aware of the collision until it was over with and they were steadying thanks to the young woman's hand on his shoulder, and his own hands reaching out to take hold of something. Thankfully the two of them remained on their feet, though not without a teetering forward at first, and a moment later he was hearing those words that had filled his ears on more than one occasion since his arrival at the Weyr. It didn't upset him at all, though it easily could have, and instead he found himself amused. Did he want to play around with it, pretend to be his cousin? No... she didn't look the type that would fall for such non-sense and besides, the differences between himself and A'ric were too many to make such a lie believable. "No, I'm not A'ric, but you're closer than you might think. I'm actually his cousin, Varric, recently brought in on Search."
Talonflame

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 pm

When she got the chance to really study the man in front of her, she realized how foolish she must have sounded, automatically seeing her friend when this young man didn’t look all that much like him. The similarities were there, which hinted to a familial bond between the two, but the man in front of her was decidedly not A’ric. No, not him at all, and for the briefest of moments, her cheeks flushed lightly in her embarrassment over assuming like she had. It wasn’t an emotion she liked to display openly, but it was out there and there was little she could have done to stop it at present. So she schooled herself into a calmer state of mind, reaching up to run her fingers through her hair as she listened to the man before her begin to speak. Ah, so she was right, she thought with almost a sense of smugness as he mentioned that he was A’ric’s cousin. She could easily play off her blind assumption at this point, since she had only barely gotten a glance at Varric’s face before uttering the bronzerider’s name instead. “Ah, so it was the family resemblance that tricked me,” she commented, daring to chuckle lightly as if that would dismiss the whole matter. Which it might, for all that she knew, but that was neither here nor there. “Well, then, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Varric. My name’s Alassiel, a smith by trade.” The smile that had tugged at the corners of her mouth since her chuckle earlier started to fade, however, when she realized what else he had told her. He had been brought in as a candidate… to stand for dragons, she could only assume. Which meant two things; number one, he was most definitely younger than she was, though she didn’t know by how much of a margin. And number two, that there was the possibility of this young man aging out, as she did. Not quite as likely in his case, as the saying went that those with known riders in their family line seemed more likely to Impress compared to those who didn’t. But the possibility was still there… and she suddenly found herself worrying over whether or not this candidate’s dreams of flight would be dashed to the ground.

“A candidate, huh? Would I be right in assuming for dragons?” she allowed herself to ask, schooling her bright blue eyes into a more cheerful state as she regarded Varric warmly. He really was quite handsome, though she admittedly hadn’t allowed herself the ‘pleasure’ of thinking anything of that ilk towards many others since her arrival at Atricis. Perhaps it was the lingering similarities to his cousin that was making her warm up to him more readily, and that was a dangerous thing. Varric, after all, was his own person. He was not his cousin, with whom Alassiel was already familiar enough with to allow herself to settle into a more eager rapport. She had just met this young man, though it almost seemed like she had known him from somewhere before. Silly thought, really, she told herself firmly before combing her hand through her hair again, hoping to get some of the wayward curls out of her face and failing somewhat spectacularly. “Will this be your first time as a candidate? Are you excited for the prospect?” Her rapid-fire questions were more of a defense mechanism, a way to prevent herself from just asking straightaway how long did he have until he aged out, but they were still valid questions that she wanted to know the answer to. She did want to get to know him better, and genuinely at that.

Finally, curiosity won over what she perceived as common sense, and she decided to take a roundabout way of figuring out the answer to perhaps the most pressing question in her mind. “I used to be a candidate myself, you know. It really is rather exciting at first, before the chores hit you,” she told him, chuckling a bit as she remembered the utter lack of excitement that her first round of chores had brought to her. “But my first standing wasn't here at Atricis, mind you. Mine was Telgar, where I was initially Searched.” A light shrug let the young man know that even that was a while ago, and she allowed a warm smile to tug at the corners of her lips as she regarded him with a friendly pale blue gaze. “I was sent here because I hadn't had any luck Impressing there. The candidatemaster told me that perhaps the ‘oddities’ here might find me more favorable. To this day, I’m still not sure what he meant by that,” she added, shrugging again before decided that she needed to stop talking for a bit. “But enough about that. Where are you from, Varric? How did you wind up here?”
.::| Alassiel of Akath .::|::. Rh'van of Armaitath .::|::. Kyrielle .::|::. D'aen of Rhovanioth |::.
ImageImageImageImage

Ember

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:21 am

Did she know his cousin, he wondered, and if so, for how long? Did it really matter though? It wasn't his business what A'ric came and went and did, though in the end, he was a little curious as to what kind of a life his cousin had had since arriving at the Weyr. Maybe he could ask this young woman a little of what she knew, without sounding like he was digging into business that wasn't technically his own to know. It had been so long, and he'd ignored A'ric for so long over a temper tantrum that he'd thrown over something that the other man couldn't have helped anymore than Varric himself could have. He'd apologized for it, things had been forgiven of course, but that didn't mean he didn't still feel a slight pinch of guilt over it, and that didn't mean he still didn't want to make amends in some form or another. Maybe next Rest Day he could offer to watch Viktor for him, so he could do whatever he felt like, or perhaps he could even wash Behemoth for him sometime... It was a though, on both accounts, and they were things he filed away for later. For now, he wanted to reply to Alassiel before he became too distant and therefore, too rude.

"Yeah, I'm a dragon candidate, eager to stand for one of the beasts and see what luck I can make of myself on the sands." He knew his chances of Impressing late in life were, and he also knew that he might not have any luck with bonding his first time standing. He had his hope, but that didn't mean it would pan out for him. Still, there were chances, so he'd been told, and even if he happened to age out well... he would face that bridge when it came time to cross it. He listened to Alassiel tell her story, and found it interesting that she'd been told that. And she was a smith, if he remembered her saying. Perhaps they had something in common, far as crafts were concerned - sort of. They both worked with heavy materials, just in different capacities; she with metals, him with the ores that she plied her trade with. It was funny that they would meet like this then, he thought, amused by the coincidence.

"I'm sorry that you never did Impress here, Alassiel. You would have done well on a dragon, I'm sure. Was there a reason you chose to stay on at the Weyr, if you don't mind me asking?" And then, to not appear rude, he answered her question as well. "I came from Benden Hold, arrived after being Searched by greenrider Tovalia. My mother is a vintner, a Master now, and my father is now a Master Miner. I could have chosen her trade but in the end I followed in his footsteps. Well, that's not entirely true." He scratched the back of his neck and laughed a little. "See, I took to my cousin when I was young, and followed after him like I was trying to attach myself to his side. Ended up becoming a miner because that's what he was. So I suppose I became one and it just pleased my father that I followed in his footsteps."
Talonflame

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm

She had seen the vague surprise in the young man’s face, just a flicker that, like a finger of smoke, appeared and then promptly disappeared in the blink of an eye. Little did the candidate know that she hadn’t actually spoken to his cousin in some time, that she had been rather distant towards him as of late. Not from any slight that A’ric had presented to her, mind you, but the facts remained the facts. If the lad had any questions for her regarding the bronzerider, she would dutifully tell him as was her duty to a family member. But beyond that, she could give no definite answers, and for that, she was… for a change, remorseful. She rarely felt guilt or remorse for things, being who she was, but now she did. Here was the cousin of a man she called friend, and she could tell him surprisingly little about the older man. Perhaps she needed to change that, and soon, she told herself with a faint ghost of a frown before firmly bringing herself back into the present, back into the conversation at hand. And luckily enough for her, Varric had opted to speak at that moment, making sure that she paid attention to his words without actually knowing that he was doing so.

She listened as the young man explained that indeed, he was a candidate, she could feel, for a split second, her breath catch in her throat. So, she had been correct, she thought with a hint of bitterness as she realized her jealousy for the opportunity that she had been denied. But she couldn’t allow herself to feel this jealousy, not at the moment, she told herself firmly. “Well, congratulations are in order, then,” she told him, offering a warm smile and hoping beyond hope that he didn’t meet the same unfortunate fate that she had. But she knew what the chances of Impressing later in life were. Dragons, from what she had seen, seemed to prefer younger candidates, those who weren’t already so set in their ways that the customs of the Weyr were so foreign to them. But perhaps Varric would be different, she told herself with a smile. Blood often told, after all, and the young man was the cousin of a bronzerider. That in and of itself spoke of his potential for greatness, and perhaps the dragons would be able to see that just as easily as she had. “And best of luck to you when a clutch becomes available,” she added, almost as an afterthought, her smile growing just a bit as she wondered what sort of dragon would find him suitable. Ah, here she was, already trying to pair him to a beast when she barely knew anything about him.

He listened to her spin her tale then, and for a moment, she found it amusing that the two of them had met like this. He was from a family of miners, people who provided her own trade with the ore that they worked, fashioned into many different things. Weapons, armor, the finest of jewelry if they were provided silver and gold. Perhaps it was something akin to what the ancients had called ‘destiny’ or ‘fate’ that had brought her and the young man to this position, she thought with a slight smile as she finished her story, Her eyes falling to the ground for a moment as she remembered the circumstances that had brought her here. He spoke then, apologizing for her never Impressing and telling her that she would have done well on a dragon’s back. She scoffed for a moment, smiling a bit as she glanced back up at Varric. “Let’s not kid ourselves here. If I would have done well on a dragon, I would have Impressed,” she commented idly, chuckling a bit to show him that she was merely joking at the moment before deciding to answer his next question. “As for why I chose to stay, I have too much here to go back to Telgar, tail between my legs. Friends, and good ones at that, with more showing up every moment.”

He spoke again soon after that, answering her own questions so as not to appear rude. She listened to what he had to say rather intently, wishing to know more about the young man and, by extension, perhaps learn more about A’ric as well. Ah, so his mother was a vintner, and his father a miner… so he was definitely from the same sort of stock as her friend, at least where one side of his family was concerned. Interesting, however, that he had been Searched so far from his home, but she didn’t bother to comment on it just yet. As he finished, explaining that he had taken to A’ric as a youngster and followed after him, trying to attach himself to his cousin’s side and ended up choosing his craft based on what his cousin had been. She laughed a bit, shaking her head slightly before looking the young man in the eye. “Well, I can easily see why you took to him,” she commented lightly, smiling warmly before speaking again, not wanting a moment of awkward silence to pass. “Did you enjoy it? Being a miner, that is. I became a smith to prove to my family that I was worth every moment of my father’s praise. I suppose that I botched it by becoming a candidate, though Father never acted disappointed to have a prospective dragonrider in the family.”
ImageImageImageImage

Ember

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:43 pm

She had his thanks already, and if she only knew what he was thinking of - what kind of dragon would he want when it was his time on the sands. He had often wondered that since coming to the Weyr. Most of the time he thought he would want to follow in A'ric's footsteps and receive a fine bronze. After all, if that was good enough for his cousin, then it would be good enough for him. He was starting to realize though that maybe it was time to step away from what his cousin always did and perhaps lead a little of his own life instead. Not that he wouldn't always look up to A'ric, of course - it was only natural that he would - but it might be time to try and do something different. So he would picture himself on other dragons as well. Browns appealed greatly, as did blues. Greens did too... Faranth, they all did in some manner. Even the female colors that were apparently "off limits" to males, for whatever reasons (he really didn't understand dragons sometimes, he was still learning the finer nuances of the species though). "Thank you. I'm hoping for luck the first time around but I've been told it might be best not to hold my breath. I'm not going to, I don't think I will at least. My intention is to stand until I age out and then... well, we'll see. I know I won't leave the Weyr, I'm too happy here, too comfortable, too set in my ways already. So it just makes sense that I'd stay."

Her words mimicked his own, ones that he had just spoken moments ago, and he nodded at that. Brave young woman, similar to himself. They could be friends, he thought at that. Another to add to his growing passel? He thought he could always use another, and he was right about that. There could never be too many of them. He wanted to know as many people as possible at the Weyr, because the more that he knew, the more connections he had, and the more that he had, the more reason he would have to give to his parents in the case that he failed to Impress - he was already composing the letter in his head to them now, about how he would explain to them why he couldn't return to Benden. It was a little guilt inducing, yes, and he loved them dearly, of course he did. But Hold life wasn't for him. He wasn't meant to be tied down to Holder ideals, he wasn't meant to be set in a Holder container, he wasn't meant to live a day by day Holder schedule. His first day at the Weyr, he'd had an awakening, a moment where he'd felt such freedom that he had wondered if he was even the same person, and it had been both liberating and strange at the same time. He could never go back after experiencing such a rush. "Perhaps you'd be willing to consider me one of those friends now? Granted, we've only just met, but in a way we're already friends by association - we know the same person." He tried to reason, and winked because to him that just sealed the deal.

"I did enjoy being a miner, actually. In part because, looking back, it made me grow up when A'ric wasn't around. I was such a brat as a child, not a spoiled brat, but... it's hard to explain. Just trust me when I say I was a brat. And I needed the experience that being a miner gave me. Forced me to shape up and I did. Matured quite a bit while I down in those shafts. You learn fast that you can't be a little asshole when you're working with men and women who don't give two shits about your immature little attitude." He shook his head, recalling how long he'd lasted with that attitude of his as a young man, and how good the craft had been for him, how he'd smarted up fast in part because of it. A smile lit his features as he thought about it. That would possibly be the only reason he'd return North, he thought, was if he had the prospects of obtaining his Mastery on a fast track. But in reality, he knew there wasn't anything like that in his future. The Weyr-bug had bitten him, and he was willing to become sick by it over and over again. He was a life long member now, with no intention of ever leaving it behind. "Do you think your father was... if you don't mind me saying, disappointed you never returned home after you didn't Impress? I don't know about you, but if I had been him, I would have been happy, and proud, that my daughter had simply tried."
Talonflame

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:28 pm

There was a part of her that still wondered what sort of dragon would find him suitable on the sands, and a part of her that knew beyond certainty that he was wondering the same already. There wasn't a candidate alive that didn't wonder what they would Impress come Hatching Day, and surely Varric was no different. After all, back when she had first stood as a candidate at Telgar, she had imagined herself on some lovely little green, being the utterly practical creature that she was and realizing that half of the dragon population in the North was comprised of greens. When she transferred to New Atricis, she had expanded her hopes to include any dragon, hoping that the one who would find her perfect would be shelled on the sands here in the South. That, as it turned out, had merely been a pipe dream for her, but she found herself wishing nothing but the best for the young man in front of her. She would have said a fine bronze like Behemoth, but she also decided that it was long time that Varric stand on his own two feet, step out from his cousin’s shadow. A brown then, strong and sturdy in their own rights. And brownriders had been Wingleaders and Weyrleaders in the past, she noted with a smile at the thought of her new friend Impressing. Perhaps it wouldn't be a pipe dream for him, she thought with a faint and wry smile.

He spoke then, pulling her out of her thoughts for a moment and thrusting her back into the world of the living, so to speak. As he commented on intending to stand until he aged out, a slight frown crossed her features. Yes, at his likely age it was within the realm of possibility that he may age out, but there was a part of her that wanted so deeply for him to have better luck than she had. His cousin was already a rider, after all, and blood often told about things like that… then again, she had been Searched with, as far as she understood, no known riders in her family line. Unless there was some Telgarian rider somewhere far back, but she thought it unlikely, as her parents would have told her about such a thing if that were the case. Instead of outright telling the young man that she thought he was wrong, she merely nodded in mild approval at his words, understanding that, like she herself had been, Varric was simply being practical about the whole thing. “Admittedly, Weyr life is definitely preferable to me than Hold life or Hall life had ever been,” she told him, chuckling a bit in amusement that he had mimicked her sentiment right away. Yes, they could certainly be friends, she thought with a bit of amusement lingering in the back of her mind at the thought that she had basically just made friends with the kin of the first person to truly make her feel welcome at New Atricis. Irony worked in strange ways like that, after all.

He asked another question then, and she couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at the fact that he had actually mimicked the very thought that she had mere moments ago. His wink, presumably to seal the deal of friendship between the two, had her chuckling just a bit more, and at last she schooled her expression into a slightly less amused one as she regarded what he had told her. “Would I be willing?” she asked, though the words were more to herself than to Varric as she tapped a finger against her chin, mimicking a motion that her father had often made when he was thinking hard about something. She found it endearing that, even now when she hadn’t been able to visit the man in Turns, she was still falling into the same old habits that she had picked up from him. Perhaps she was more like him that she had initially thought, she mused with a faint smile as she continued to ruminate on what her newfound friend had said. “Well, Varric, you happen to be in luck. I believe I already consider you one of those very friends,” she told him with a grin, her eyes bright with mirth as she gave him a wink of her own. “Honestly, the fact that we both know the same person is just a plus. I actually feel like I’ve known you for Turns, despite the fact that we’ve just met.”

It seemed strange to her, thinking that way towards this young man. Perhaps it was because she already knew A’ric so well, and she was projecting the cousin onto Varric? No, she told herself firmly, he was not his cousin. There were similarities, likely due to the fact that Varric had spent so long following in his cousin’s footsteps, but there were also so many differences that she couldn’t possibly be confusing the one for the other. Varric was his own person, and something about him made her feel the way she did. Yes, he was definitely a friend, one that she felt she had already known in some way or form before he even arrived at the Weyr. And that had nothing to do with the bronzerider. So she listened intently to his story, and actually found herself nodding in agreement to quite a bit of what he had to say. “I completely agree,” she commented when he paused, a smile lighting his face after speaking about his time as a miner. “I’ll readily admit to being something of a brat when I was young as well. Stubborn thing that never wanted to listen to others, save for my father. Being in a craft taught me that not everything had to go my way, and it often didn’t. Gave me a bit of a wake up call, that.” But there was no way she was going back to that life, she told herself with a smile as she had realized long ago that she was too attached to Weyr life, and had found herself permanently affected by what Holders and crafters so begrudgingly called the ‘Weyr-bug’. She had heard her Master, when she had told him that she had been Searched by Telgar, muttering to himself about losing too many good apprentices to the Weyr-bug, and here he had just lost another.

At the sudden mention of her father, Alassiel shook her head to clear her thoughts for a moment, her gaze falling squarely on Varric as he spoke. A thoughtful look crossed her face as she thought about it, trying to determine just what Alaric had thought of his eldest child and only daughter never returning home. Or what he had thought when she had written to him, explaining that she had aged out of candidacy, but would be continuing her craft studies here in the South, as opposed to returning to the Smith Hall. “To be honest, I’ve never thought about it much,” she admitted, a frown tugging at her lips as she glanced away for a moment, composing herself before turning back to Varric. “Partly because I didn’t want to think of him being disappointed in the first place. After apprenticing to my craft, he always said he couldn’t be prouder of me. I feel like I may have disappointed him, choosing to stand for dragons instead of furthering myself in the craft first. But surely he’s proud that I’ve tried, and prouder still that I’m choosing to continue in the craft. I just… fear that he’s not so happy that I’m remaining in the South, so far away from him and my mother. And my little brother, though I haven’t heard from Alariel in some time.”
ImageImageImageImage

Ember

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 am

Oh, she was a darling, he decided. He was going to like being friends with her. They seemed to have a similar mindset, a similar way of thinking, and he liked that. Perhaps there were other things they had in common as well. It wasn't just his cousin that he was thinking of either. He didn't want to walk in A'ric's shadow forever. At some point he needed to step away from that and moved on his own two feet, produce his own patterns of light and cover. It wouldn't do him any good if he let himself slip back under the cover that he'd lingered in for so many Turns, something he'd only just slid away from not that long ago, all things considering.

Listening to her speak, he smiled and gave her a gentle nudge with the side of his arm. Already friends for Turns. He liked the sound of that, and told her as much. "You sure you want to be talking like that? What if you decided long ago that you couldn't stand the sight of me? What if we're only just reconciling after Turns of being at each others' throats?" And then, just to be silly, he started to chuckle when something came to mind. "We could say that we've known each other for Turns, at one point fought over something inconsequential, stupid really, and are just now falling back into sorts." He grinned and wriggled his brows. "I vote we squabbled over the use of the word squabble." He wasn't being serious of course, he was just joking around, and he hoped she wasn't taking him serious either. They were friends after all, old friends, good friends. Hopefully the kind of friends that could play around with one another like this.

But that was forgotten, for a time at least, in favor of more thinking and her next set of words. They concerned crafting, and what it had taught them. Hers had been about not being a brat, while his... well, another reason they were meant to be friends. "You know, you're right about that. That's what happened to me as well. Being in a craft, it teaches you things. It isn't just skills you learn, it's how to be a human being. It's how to live and learn from the world around you. You don't just figure out how to traverse the world away from your parents and your family, how to be of service to Pern - your grow up." You had no choice in the matter when you became a member of a craft, when you trained hard and became better. It was eat or be eaten. You had one choice, best not screw it up.

Well, there was a way around her issues with her father, wasn't there? He thought it was obvious at least, and wondered why she hadn't considered it at the very least, frowning and resisting telling her at the last moment for fear of offending her. But she would wonder why he wasn't speaking, and he didn't want their new friendship soured by his lack of words, so he decided it would be best if he just spoke up and let things happen as they did. Come what may, he thought. "So, I'm sure you've considered this but... have you thought about writing to them? You could hire a firelizard for a day, maybe even work towards getting an egg of your own, and well... use it to send a message or two back and forth between yourself and them. At least let them know that you're okay?"
Talonflame

Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 pm

At the man’s light nudging with one arm, Alassiel braced herself the moment she saw his arm move. But still, she allowed him to gently push her back, only moving a hair’s breadth before moving back to her previous position. Yes, he was certainly something else, much like she had been in her candidacy days, and that in and of itself made her hope all the more that he Impressed, and soon. He seemed all the more deserving of it, in her opinion, and she vowed in that moment that she would be there to see him Impress. Something in her just knew that he would, and she wouldn’t have missed it for the world. But Varric’s queries, given one by one in an almost methodical manner, pulled her back into the present, forcing those thoughts of what the future may have held for the man on hold for the time being. She tilted her gaze upward for a moment, mimicking abstract thought as she carefully considered his words. Was she sure she wanted to be talking like that with him? Well, that was certainly a good question, but it wasn’t long before her mind produced the answer, her gaze falling back down to him after a breath’s pause. “Yes, I believe I do want to talk like that. And squabbling over the use of the word squabble sounds just fine to me,” she commented with a slight wink, chuckling a bit at his jesting and taking it in stride. After all, they were friends, and friends could tease one another and joke around like this without much in the way of consequence. Or at least, that’s how she thought of it.

But that discussion seemed more for another day, as she herself had moved the topic to one of crafts and how they had changed their lives for the better, as it would seem. Yes, it seemed as if she was meant to be friends with this one, and not just for the reason that she knew his cousin. Of course it was a plus, but it wasn’t the be all and end all of it, and for that she was grateful. It would have made this meeting far more awkward in the long run, and she wasn’t sure if she would have liked so much awkwardness in one sitting. No, the pace and the way that the conversation was going was perfectly fine with her. It spared the both of them the discomfort, after all, but that was neither here nor there, she reminded herself with a shake of her head as she listened intently to what Varric had to say. And she nodded fervently to his words, agreeing with every moment of them as she took them in. “That exactly! I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one to think that,” she told him, a faint sigh escaping her lips as she realized that the conversation was definitely going far smoother than she had initially thought it would.

The topic changed once again, and Alassiel actually shifted a little on her feet at the prospect that he had brought up. She hadn’t contacted her family in some time, more than a little fearful of the reaction her father would have considering her situation. Not that Alaric had ever been a violent man; quite the opposite, really. Her father had been nothing but supportive of her in every single one of her endeavors in life, but to admit to him that she had failed... that was something that she wasn’t sure she would be able to live with. She wasn’t the kind to admit to her faults easily, and for her to be so certain that she would have Impressed, only to end up not doing that very thing? And then never bothering to return home to Telgar, where she was sure her mother would have said she belonged? She bit at her lower lip for a moment, knowing he was right about contacting them, if nothing else to let them know she was alright, but at the same time worried that one or both of her parents would start demanding that she return home, right then and there. “I… I know you’re right. I do need to contact them, somehow. I could send a letter through firelizard, though there’s absolutely no telling where my father would be. My mother would be the best bet, as she often stays at home, but she also happens to be of the mindset that young ladies stay near their family. So she would likely write back before letting Father know that I sent a message… and demand that I leave the South and head straight back home. Hmm. Maybe a Runner? That way it could find its way to my father first.” Of course, the discussion was putting her slightly on edge, though she would never personally admit it. But the way she shifted her weight from one foot to the other every so often, as well as the way her arms almost defensively crossed in front of her stomach, were dead giveaways to the fact.
ImageImageImageImage