Where Dreams go to Die [Open]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Lanni

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:58 am

- Dragon Candidate Laikanu -
Not even a full week had passed since Laikanurinato had left his family behind. Just a handful of days separated the brothers that usually spent every moment at the other's side. For Lakanurinato it seemed like an entire lifetime had slipped away from him as he tried to adjust to his new home. In that short span of time his whole world had been shaken apart. Not only was he in a strange place, in a strange bed, he just received some of the worst news imaginable. A short missive had found its way to the young man just a few moments ago. The familiar slant of the words proved that it had been penned by his older sibling. Lakaric's words, his phrasing were laced with excitement, wonder and a small dose of sadness. A sadness that Laikanu mimicked in his own features.

His brother had done it. In that short span of days, a hatching had surprised the man's home-weyr. Just as Lai had predicted, Karic had been one of the first to find his life-partner. If Lai had been there the blue eyed man was certain that he too would have been chosen at last! Grumbling, muttering and sighing to himself, Lai tortured his already hurt ego by reading the short missive over and over again in the most public of places in the weyr: the Dining Hall.

With one sharp word and a sharp jab of a fist, Lai's already battered hands spilled fresh blood onto his marred skin and the scarred wooden table. "Shard-it, Karic! Why couldn't you have come with me?!" He muttered harshly. Each word from the man's lips grew in volume until he had the unwanted attention of several people around him. "What? Haven't you ever talked to yourself?" He hissed at the closest of them with a scowl now marring his usually happy face. Didn't the folks in this odd weyr believe in privacy? So what if he was in the dining hall? It wasn't as if he knew anywhere other than his shared candidate rooms! With a heavy thunk, Laikanu's brawler's frame met the wooden bench below him. Why was luck always against him? Letting the scrap of hide flutter to the table's surface, Lai felt his head fall forward into his waiting palms. "Why can't anything go right anymore?" He said choking slightly on his words.
Ainokesshou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Varren didn't have much time in his day that wasn't scheduled to the last moment. He had candidate classes, despite the number of Hatchings he had already stood for at High Reaches. He had lessons for his craft, as well as shifts in the infirmary assisting the older healers. When he was done with all those lessons, he still needed to spend time in the greenhouses working with his plants, and any moment of free time after all that belonged to his sister and her babies as far as he was concerned. He just didn't have time to become good friends with his fellow candidates, and given how much those friendships had ended up hurting him in the past, that was probably for the best.

So he didn't really know the other candidate at the table. He took his tray to that table to eat, precisely because the young man was reading something, so he would probably be quiet, and Varren could just eat and leave. Maybe he should say some of the empty greeting phrases somewhere in there, acknowledge the other candidate's existence politely, but surely there interaction would be limited to that. He hesitated at even those greeting, though, since he didn't know the man's name. He was older than Varren....maybe close to aging out? And a recent transfer, even more recent than Varren himself.

He wasn't being all that quiet, though, making dissatisfied noises as he read and reread whatever was in that message. Varren continued to avert his eyes, trying to give him a little privacy. Though, if he had wanted to be left alone, wouldn't he be in his own room? Was he doing this in the dining hall because he wanted attention? Still, at this point it seemed more polite to avoid acknowledging the other man at all, to just eat his meal, take care of his dishes, and return to his quarters to study.

Until the man all but exploded, and Varren couldn't help but look at him directly. Stare, really.

"Shard-it, Karic! Why couldn't you have come with me?!"

It was his actions more than his words that drew Varren's focus. He hit the table, and Varren looked straight at his hands. They were bleeding, from reopened scrapes perhaps, and he had seen injuries like that. He had treated injuries like that, though the supervising healer usually hovered over his shoulder scolding and criticizing the patient while he did. He'd been in some sort of fight, but without knowing the details, Varren wasn't inclined to judge. He didn't throw a lot of punches, but he was well aware that there were situations that didn't leave a person much choice. Still, did that explain the other candidate's recent transfer?

"What? Haven't you ever talked to yourself?"

Well, that called for an answer, apparently, and Varren was going to have to interact with another candidate in a less shallow way than he had managed so far at Atricis. "It's not so much the talking to yourself," he answered, evenly. That was...maybe not precisely normal, but not exactly uncommon. And shards, he lived in a Weyr. Riders were laughing at odd times because of their dragons, or saying something aloud in response to their lifemates all the time. It was only a little unusual for someone without a bondmate to start speaking aloud. "You're bleeding." He pointed out. "On the table." Which was a secondary consideration. People ate there, but after all, there was a reason that Varren didn't put his food directly on the table. And someone would surely clean it up.

"Why can't anything go right anymore?"

Varren managed to keep his sigh internal. Obviously the other candidate had more trouble than bleeding hands, but that was what he could fix. And if he confided in Varren while he worked, that was actually pretty normal. "I can't help with whatever you were reading about," he said, calmly. "But we should clean up your hands. You don't want an infection making more things go wrong."
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Lanni

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:16 am

Laikanu was so lost in his own thoughts and pain that he barely noted that another man had responded to his angry words. In fact the blue eyed man barely noticed that there was anyone willing to interact with him until his ears caught the word bleeding. With a dispassionate glance down at his split knuckles, Lai noted that he was in fact dripping onto the table again. Groaning at the thought of having to clean up the mess he was making, Laikanu felt his head drop even lower in defeat. His words about the world going wrong echoed dully in his mind. Was he cursed to continuously screw things up? When the words clean up and infection broke into his depressed thought, Laikanu lifted his head to take in the other fellow at his table.

While the guy wasn't bad looking, there was no part of Laikanu that wanted to flirt right now. Life was too complected to tease and for Lai to admit that, there was something odd going on. "Guess I should have it looked at.... You a Healer then?" Laikanurinato asked as he finally came through the fog in his mind. "If not... Maybe you could point me to the infirmary? This place is all backwards and weird to me... Makes me miss Benden," Lai rambled as he shifted towards the other man. Raising his recently injured hand, Lai wondered just what had him rambling now. He wasn't flirting, it wasn't angry retorts or witty come-backs.... Was this small talk?
Ainokesshou

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 am

The other candidate's dramatic behavior didn't stop when Varren started talking to him. In fact, he barely seemed to notice the talking, but Varren didn't think he could just ignore bleeding right in front of him. He was prepared to try a little harder to get Laikanu's attention when he apparently managed to break through his funk a little bit.

"You a Healer, then?"

It was odd to be asked that. Even though he had worn candidate knots rather than his apprenticeship knots for several turns now, Varren had lived in the same Weyr his entire life, and everyone there had known him. But of course, there was no reason anyone here would automatically know their fellow candidate was originally a healer's apprentice. So he just nodded, "I'm an apprentice, at least. Good enough to get your hands cleaned up and wrapped. I'm sure you're already had it done at least once," as it was obvious that those were preexisting injuries. "But it would still be best to go to the infirmary to do it again. That's where the supplies are."

He hesitated, then added. "Maybe we can come up with something else for you to do with your hands when you get upset, too." He frowned at the injuries instead of looking the other candidate in the face. "At least until this heals enough that you won't reopen it easily."

"I'll walk you to the infirmary. I get turned around here, too, but only when I'm not thinking about where I'm going. I start thinking ahead, and go the same directions I would have in High Reaches and wind up in the beastholds when I'm trying to go to the dining Hall." It seemed likely that the message he was reading was from Benden, and Varren was torn. Should he try to find out what was upsetting, or...

Hadn't Benden's clutch just hatched? So second-guessing himself about whether he would have Impressed there. Varren was NOT going to deliver any of the traditional platitudes when they made him pretty angry too. Hopefully the person Laikanu fought had been transferred, too, or at least not Impressed. Otherwise, Varren doubted he would have stopped at hitting the table.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lanni

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 am

As the other fellow admitted his rank as an apprentice, Laikanu began to feel the familiar aches and stings of broken skin along his knuckles. Shaking the injured hand slightly the try and relieve the ache that was building along the torn flesh. He could only nod as the other man commented on finding a better outlet and some other nonsense about finding his way. Lai wasn't trying to be rude. Honest he wasn't but with everything going on in his head and the building ache in his knuckles it was hard for the flirty young man to concentrate.

With a sudden move that forced the bench to squeal against the floor, Laikanu stood up and looked at the healer-candidate. "So. Where are we going? I... I, um, I think I did more than break the skin this time," Lai admitted with a flush starting to stain his cheeks at his out burst earlier. "Didn't think I hit the wood that hard but it could be an older injury acting up," Laikanurinato added with a sheepish look on his features. Shoving aside his heartbreak, Lai focused on the familiar burn of torn skin. For a heart-beat the brawling candidate wished that the pain was not quite so localized and that the pleasant burn of worked muscles danced alongside the aches.

"I'm Laikanu," He offered instead of following the age-old thoughts of a good fight, "New to Atricis, if you can't tell," He added as he shifted around the side of the table. "So... Are we going to the infirmary or what?" He asked forcing a cocky grin to his face once more.
Ainokesshou

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Varren frowned. They needed to go to the infirmary, but it could certainly wait while he bussed his tray. It was bad enough that the table had blood on it, he wasn't creating more work for the kitchen helpers than absolutely necessary. Then, the other candidate made that comment that he might have done more than break the skin. This time, whatever that meant. Or that it was an older injury acting up....

How often did he get into fights? There were good reasons, of course, but there were usually also good reasons not to. "What kind of old injuries?" he asked worriedly. If there was a history of broken bones, or something like that, they might always be vulnerable to reinjury in the same way. His behavior didn't match the pain of a broken bone, though.

Then he introduced himself, and Varren thought back. No, he hadn't given his name yet, either. "I'm Varren," he said, embarrassed. "I'm....not quite as new to Atricis as you are, but not by much." He picked up his tray, and started taking it to the kitchen, speaking over his shoulder. "And we are heading to the infirmary after I hand this over to be cleaned." He suspected he would have to lead Laikanu there. Probably, the other man hadn't had a reason to visit the infirmary since arriving. Hopefully, he would manage a long time without visits after this one, but Varren was starting to suspect that was a vain hope.

"I followed my sister here from High Reaches," he continued. "She managed to Impress here after all, and," he shrugged. "If I'm going to be left standing somewhere, I might as well be left standing where I have a sister I like to spend time with, and nieces and nephews to help with."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lanni

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 am

As the other man moved towards what Lai assumed was the kitchens, the blue eyed candidate followed as he lifted his injured hand to his chest. Experience with too many similar injuries had finally filtered past the bad news and Laikanu hoped that his last clean shirt wouldn't become bloodstained. "Well, I'm glad one of us knows the way," Laikanu said with a twist of his lips into a crooked smile. While the sting of his torn skin and the now sharp ache of his bruised knuckles was in the forefront of his mind, there were some habits that the flirt couldn't stop.

As the healer began to explain his own journey to Atricis, Laikanu found himself feeling a bit jealous. If he hadn't just received the bad news that he had, Lai knew that he would have been happy for the other guy. As it was the brawler understood the healer's logic, but there was a rather vocal part of the young man that thought bitterly that he could have done without the knowledge that the fellow had family here. "I... I was sent here as a punishment. Too many broken rules, broken hearts and bruises," Laikanu admitted with a bitter twist to his tone. "I think I could count how many folks I know here with one hand," He continued trying to spin a happy note into his situation. "So... Is your sister happy to have you close?" He asked hoping to steer the conversation away from his past.
Ainokesshou

Sat May 05, 2018 4:54 am

Varren was no stranger to the casual and careful flirting that skirted the candidates' rules. The only problem was that he wasn't any good at keeping it light-hearted and casual. Oh, he had been careful about limiting how physical the flirting got - he had managed a few kisses and gropes, but the thing that caused him problems every time was the soulful looks, the quick glances followed by blushing, the furtive conversations. Varren got emotionally invested in these little flings way too easily, so it was best to avoid them entirely.

It was just too bad that knowing that didn't keep him from blushing when Laikanu flirted a bit. The older boy was probably EVERYONE's type, although Varren had always tried to avoid troublemakers. He knew that he was attracted to people who needed help, but that didn't include people who were clearly walking disasters no matter how good-looking they may be. And there, Laikanu confirmed that. But sending him here as a punishment? That was sort of an insult to Varren's new home.

"I don't see how coming here is a punishment," he said stiffly, able to meet Laikanu's eyes without blushing for a moment. "And not knowing many people here is easily solved," but meeting the older candidate's eyes was a mistake, because he looked so miserable that Varren couldn't stay annoyed at the insult. He tried smiling, joking, "Apparently, all you have to do is hit a table, but I'm sure you can come up with ways to meet people that don't involve any injuries."

"Though maybe that's all you can come up with, given the state of your hands." His comment about bruises and broken rules lended itself to the assumption that he was sent here after a fight, of course, but since a fight could have ended his candidacy completely, Varren had to assume that his behavior was at least somewhat justified. Realistically, he'd probably been sent away to separate him from the other person he fought with?
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage