Hatch Little Egg! [Open]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3172.00 [Donate]

Hatch Little Egg! [Open]

Postby Marvealle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Orange Fan Egg
Copy the code below!

Code: Select all

[center][img]http://www.newatricis.com/images/Games/EggHunt2018/LargeTopazFan.png[/img]
[b][size=150][color=#e09122]O[/color][color=#e5a528]r[/color][color=#e9b92f]a[/color][color=#eecd35]n[/color][color=#e2a02e]g[/color][color=#d67428]e[/color] [color=#bd1a1a]F[/color][color=#cd5623]a[/color][color=#de912c]n[/color] [color=#e9b92f]E[/color][color=#e5a528]g[/color][color=#e09122]g[/color][/size][/b]

The day before had been Nali's nameday. While she had to do lessons and chores that day like usual, she spent the evening with members of her family. They had gotten together at her parents' apartment, those that could make it of course, and they had a celebration for her and her two siblings that shared the same day. Each one of them received a gift, something that each one had wanted or suited them, and Nali's gift had been a 'lizard egg. She had been pretty happy with the gift, having eyed the eggs at the Gather last turn but been unable to buy any. She knew this gift likely came mostly from her father, or at least she assumed, but she thanked everyone anyways, giving special attention to her parents for the gift. All around, it had been a pretty good evening, and she had returned to the barracks for curfew happy and with some dried meat in a pouch to feed the egg as soon as it hatched.

Of course, it was only a guess as to when it would hatch, and after only a day of having it, Nali had grown impatient. It didn't help that it was still winter and raining outside. All. The. Time. So she had nothing to do other than sit around the barracks in her free time, and she had already grown tired of that and moved to the dining hall for dinner. But now the distraction of dinner was over, and as people trickled in and out of the dining hall, Nali sat there, leaning on the table, staring at the egg sitting in its little pot of sand and the small flame from a candle sitting under it to keep the egg warm until it hatched. Nali glowered at the egg.

"Come on, hatch already," she complained at the egg, gently poking its surface but receiving no response back from the critter inside. She huffed and practically dropped onto the table, staring up at the flame keeping her pot warm as she just laid on the table like a sulking teenager... which was exactly what she was in this moment.

(Note: Egg in question from the Isilsk Candy Exchange back in October, finally using the 'Lizard I bought from it)
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ainokesshou
Marks: 1476.00 [Donate]

Re: Hatch Little Egg! [Open]

Postby Ainokesshou » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Aranrod had seen Nali in the barracks, doing chores, just generally around the Weyr, and she was pretty sure that the other candidate was weyrbred. The past several days, Nali had been carrying around a flitt egg more often than not, and she was sitting alone when Aranrod walked past after dinner. Nali's posture was sort of comedic, the very caricature of frustration, and though Aranrod knew it would be unforgivable to laugh at the the extreme nature of Nali's irritation, perhaps she could laugh WITH her?

She plopped into the set across from her fellow candidate, and laid her own head down on its side, so that she was looking at Nali's face through the candle's flame. Her own two bronze troublemakers saw this as a good moment to pop in, and Dylandon began nudging her head with his own, either asking for attention or trying to figure out why she was lying in such an odd way. Leulaw instead seemed interested in meeting Nali, and her possession, peering back and forth between the other sideways face and the egg.

"Is it like boiling water?" Aranrod asked, aware that her voice was slightly distorted by the fact that half of it couldn't move completely. "A watched egg never hatches?" She barely got the question out before Dylandon apparently decided that her horizontal face was the perfect surface for a nap, and laid directly on top of her, his wing obscuring her vision of the candle, and his tail wrapping around her upper arm for balance.

It was the tail that kept him attached to her when she immediately shot upright, shoving him off her face. "Shard it, Dylandon," she said, halfway between amused and genuinely irritated. "I'm not furniture!" He resettled himself onto her shoulder, and she gave Nali a dry look. "Still sure you want that thing to hatch at all," she asked teasingly, as she gave the fire lizard a half hearted shove before switching to affectionately scratching his head.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth       Folith          Zenith
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Marvealle
Site Admin

Postby Marvealle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Nali's gaze focused on the other person as they sat and then flopped onto the table similar to how Nali did. A smile immediately played on her face at the other candidate's antics, smiling more when she compared an egg to boiling water. The firelizards helped with the amusement factor, earning a chuckle. Her chuckle, however, quickly turned into a full blown laugh, sitting up as her hand flew over her mouth to shield her laughter at least somewhat. Her shoulders were still shaking as Aranrod commented about being sure she wanted her egg to hatch.

"I think as long as it doesn't sit on my face I'll be good," she teased back. "Might help that it's smaller, I mean, look at the size of this egg, it's probably a green or a blue, or probably a ruby. I'm pretty sure this is a Fancy Flitt egg." She poked the egg once again, a smile still on her face.

"It's taking its time to hatch though, I wish it would hurry it up, I wanna see what's inside." As she spoke she ran a fingertip over the surface of the egg, tracing the lightly colored mottles like constellations.
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:09 am

Aranrod looked at the egg, too, agreeing that the size of it seemed to suggest one of the smaller colors. "I've never really looked closely enough to know the difference between fire lizard egg and fancy flitt eggs," she said, "but I guess it does look a little different than the ones these two were in." She leaned forward to look, but kept her hands firmly away from the egg. It was probably silly and superstitious, but she was completely aware that she had Impressed both her bronze lizards by complete accident, so she didn't want to touch an egg that belonged to someone else. She had been lucky that Dylandon had been meant for her mother, and that Leulaw's intended girl ended up with a gold instead. If she accidentally took a stranger's egg, when there wasn't one to replace it with, it could be bad.

She was tempted to sit on her hands.

Leulaw was not as reserved as she was, and definitely found the egg interesting. Aranrod really hadn't seen him around any other clutches, though, so she didn't know if he realized what the egg was.

"No promises about it not sitting on your face," Aranrod said. "Sometimes I wake up and one or both of them are draped over me in a weird position. I guess if it's a green or blue, though, at least it won't be as heavy when it pulls something like that."

She did remember waiting and anticipating Dylandon's hatching, even though she had expected him to go to her mother, and it had certainly felt like forever. "Do you have someone watching it while we're in classes or chores?" she asked. In the caravan, her mother had been able to make sure one of the family was always with the egg. Nali probably couldn't keep it with her all the time, though.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin

Postby Marvealle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Again, Nali smiled, laughing a little when Aranrod mentioned her bronzes draped over her sometimes. "'Lizards are funny creatures," she commented with a nod. She remembered her father's bronze fondly, of course the little beast was still around and annoying her father sometimes with his antics. Nali had always liked Lizard though, and found him funny.

At Aranrod's question, Nali sat up a little straighter. "Oh shards," she said at the realization. "I forgot about that!" Her brows scrunched together for a moment. "Come on egg, hatch now! I can't carry you around everywhere every day, haaaatch!" It seemed the realization made her more impatient, Nali going so far as to wiggle her fingers at the egg as if that would somehow will it to hatch that instant.

Then, there was a little wiggle.

"Ha! That's right, move little one!" Of course, it could have been nothing, but Nali didn't care, wiggling her fingers comically at the egg some more.

((Jeeze it's been over a month since I posted here! I'm super sorry for that, I didn't realize it had been THAT long))

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Aranrod didn't think that Nali was imagining it. Both of her bronzes were focusing on the egg, suddenly, with a certain amount of tension. Of course, it was a fancy flitt egg, not a fire lizard egg, so maybe they weren't able to judge how ready the egg was to hatch. You couldn't ever be sure if a pet was responding to its owner's emotional state or its own, and that was even more true of the lizard pets than of dogs and cats, obviously. Maybe her bronzes were focused on the egg because she was.

"If that's not it," she murmured, watching for more movement, "I was going to offer my boys. I could leave them to watch your egg for signs of hatching, and come get you when it's ready." They were vibrating, though. Were they...humming?

Now she actually was sitting on her hands, and leaning back away from the egg. "I got both my boys by accident," she told the other candidate, pretty sure that the moment was on them. She really didn't think any of them had jostled the table, and she was sure the egg had started moving. "I don't want to do that again." Yet she still wanted to see the egg hatch. Leulaw didn't back away at all, in fact he got as close to the egg as he could get away with, staring intensely at it, and yes, she was pretty sure he was humming a little.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin

Postby Marvealle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:46 am

Nali's excitement could not be missed. Her gaze upon the egg became intense as she grinned. If the firelizards weren't vibrating, Nali practically was with how much she was wiggling in excitement. She, of course, still listened to Aranrod, though she almost forgot to respond with how eager she was for the egg to hatch.

"Wiggle, come on, wiggle more," she told the egg impatiently, before glancing up at Aranrod again. "Oh! That's a good idea," Nali said with a nod at the offer, even if it might not turn out to be needed. At Aranrod's next statement, Nali looked at the two bronzes, and laughed a little.

"That's why you have two bronzes! That's lucky! Or unlucky, depending on how you look at it," Nali grinned. "Maybe 'lizards really like you! I mean, you came around and now my egg is hatching." While the egg didn't seem to be in a hurry, it did wiggle a little here and there. However, no cracks formed on its surface just yet, making Nali squirm more with impatience. That is, until she remembered something.

"Shards, I left the dried meat pouch I've been carrying around in my room in the barracks!" Quickly, her eyes fell hopefully on Aranrod. "Can you get me something? I don't want to leave the egg if it hatches."

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 am

The egg was definitely moving, and Aranrod was grateful for something useful to do. She got up to ask for a bit of meat, and Dylandon followed her but Leulaw kept watching the egg. He was definitely humming now, and she was grinning when she came back several minutes later with some fresh meat for the baby. "It will probably like this better than dried meat anyway," she said, "And you'll still have the dried meat for a later meal for it."

She scratched Dylandon's headknob as he joined in the humming. "This one was fairly good luck," she said. "He was supposed to be my mother's but ended up with me instead, and she didn't mind. Leulaw, there, could have been bad luck, because he was supposed to go to a holder's daughter, but she ended up with a gold instead, so she forgave me." She put the bowl of meat down, pushing it toward Nali and keeping space between herself and the egg. "But now I try not to touch eggs that aren't supposed to be for me, even if there's no sign they're hatching."

She hadn't been touching Dylandon's egg when it hatched, though. But her brother was apparently rotten enough to his core that the bronze had known to get away from him. That, or she had somehow influenced him by touching the egg several times a day before he hatched. She sat down again, sitting literally on her hands to keep from any reflexive movement that might attract the hatchling's attention. "They probably do like me," she agreed, having seen that some people just had a touch with them, "but I want to avoid getting any more while I'm a candidate. One or two is fine, but I think it would be pretty impossible to figure out what to do with a whole fair while I'm taking care of a growing dragon."
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin

Postby Marvealle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Nali kicked her legs under the table in excitement as Aranrod left to fetch some meat for her. She stared eagerly at the egg, not minding the presence of Aranrod's bronze that stayed behind to hum. Nali wasn't known for patience, and so she wiggled and stirred like a young child, looking up to glance around for Aranrod a few times. Luckily, she wasn't gone long at all, back almost as quickly as she had left to fetch the meat for Nali.

"Thanks so much," Nali expressed, remembering to thank Aranrod for bringing her something for the egg despite being so excited. As the conversation continued Nali couldn't help but chuckle at Aranrod's little stories about her bronzes.

"I say you're lucky then, since your two accidental bronzes didn't wind up causing you much trouble by the sounds of it. Although imagine the poor soul who tries to take care of a bunch of 'lizards and a baby dragon," Nali said with a laugh. "It's a funny thought, but that would probably be pretty miserable."

It took a few more minutes, but the wiggling egg at last cracked, a little hole forming where the little hatchling within had been working. Soon after, a head popped out of the shell, pale colored and iridescent in color. Nali squealed in excitement and immediately offered meat to the hatchling, only to be squeaked at as the hatchling continued working her way out of her shell.

"I've heard of these! It's a Diamond Fancy flitt, but she's so small! I think they call them Toys. Oh my gosh she's so tiny and cute!" Nali was so excited and excited that she seemed like she was about to vibrate out of her seat, not at all deterred by the rebuff by the hatchling. Especially since as soon as the hatchling was free from her egg completely, she kreeled hungrily and sniffed around, allowing Nali to present her with the meat this time.
Diamond Toy Fancy Flitt
#EFECF7 #F9FBFF #EDD3E8 #C3BEDD
Motherly, Fussy, Perceptive
Bought from 2017 Trick-or-treat Event

"She's so cute, look," Nali gushed, unable to contain herself as the hatchling diamond chowed down on the meat given to her. She squeaked at Nali again when Nali tried to pet her, clearly wanting to focus on her first meal first.

"Oh shards, I need a name for her. I hadn't thought of that either. Shards, what should I name her?"

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Aranrod nodded, thinking about the nightmare of corralling an entire fair with a dragonet. "I've heard of people having a lot more than two, and even riders with that many," she said, "but hopefully they got most of them after their dragons were fully grown." She had also heard a lot about jealous hatchlings, and had managed to train her fire lizards to stay away from her while she was on the hatching sands. So far, they managed it by enthusiastically humming along with the full grown dragons, perched on tiny little "ledges" too small for the dragons, and thought it was a lot of fun. If she managed to Impress - and she had to admit that was a big "if" as she had been through several hatchings now with no luck - then she would have to find someone to take care of them for her. Since they tended to have one hatching a season, it would probably be good enough to leave them with one of the less lucky candidates? By the time that candidate had another chance, it would probably be safe for her boys to come back to her.

And that was actually likely to be an issue for Nali as well. Aranrod considered a pact with the other girl - if one of them Impressed and not the other, the one left behind would take care of the lizards until the new weyrling could have hers back. And - didn't Mila have a 'lizard pet too, one of those tiny ones from the Gather? She would wait to bring it up with both other candidates, but surely there was a good chance that at least one of them would be left standing when another Impressed?

Then Nali's egg finally started to crack, and a tiny pale nose poked out. That wasn't a green or blue at all, and Aranrod was confused for a moment. Were there opal fancy flitts? But Nali's explanation made sense, she had heard of the tiny variety, and even of the diamonds, in fact one of the pearlriders had brought eggs from her own diamond a few months ago, hadn't she?

Eggs!

"Ooh, that's a queen color," Aranrod crooned. "You have a tiny little queen! Wow!" The egg she had assumed was a cute and common green was a precious and rare baby instead. That was amazing.

"And she's such a delicate little lady," she leaned forward a little to look, now that there was no danger of accidentally acquiring an addition to her little fair. "I wonder if my boys sense she was a queen, and that's why they were so interested," she added, leaning backward. She would sort of like a queen of her own. Eventually. But there was not any way to tell with lizard eggs.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Dining Hall”