What is and What Never Will Be ~ { Tag } Open

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Marks: 1108.00 [Donate]

What is and What Never Will Be ~ { Tag } Open

Postby Ember » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

Warning: Contains descriptions of injury, dragonkin death, and a brief suicidal thought.

”Roavani!”

The strange, scattered peace had been broken by her choked whisper to the wind. He had tried so hard to make her leave, and she had gone, ran so hard her lungs burned and her legs nearly gave way to the fire that threatened to curl around her entire body. But the white daywher had refused to let her remain behind, growling at her in a manner that suggested she had no choice in the matter. The last thing he had said to her had been beautiful, in his own way, even as it had been fierce and trumpeting: Leave, my Shiravani. I will not let them have you. And leave she had, even if reluctance had been on the tip of her mind’s tongue. She had not gone far, had climbed a tree and remained curled up there in the hopes that she might witness his return. But minutes floated as the sounds of snarls and yowls sounded in the distance, and even when she knew she could call out to her pets, or a family member’s dragon, she couldn’t occupy her mind with anything more than what was taking place.

Then there was silence, and their bond felt so weak but it was not broken. She had nearly passed out from the strange sensation of it all, her heart trying to wriggle its way out of her body in an attempt to gather the strength to go out to him, to press itself to him and make him go to her. She called to him with her mind, but he would not answer her, and she was certain that their last words to one another, that angry, forceful manner in which he’d tried to sacrifice himself for her, was the last thing that would ever pass between them. She’d held herself to the tree, unable to move, even when she heard something approach. If it was one of the felines, she was fucked either way, she knew that. She reached for the blade at her back and started to pull it, knowing just enough of how to use it through her sparring with her grandfather to be able to defend herself a little. If Roavani had fought, then so would she, and she wouldn't go down without a fight...

But the figure that had come through the brush of the forest hadn't been a feline, it had been her beloved wher, missing a limb, torn to shreds, dragging himself forward with ichor spilling from everywhere. She cried out and scrambled down the tree, tripping on her way and screaming in pain when she felt her wrist shatter beneath or weight. She heard Roavani in her head, weak though it was, as she trembled on the forest floor. Oh, my Shiravani, my beautiful soul. Do not suffer, please... She could sense, not through their connection, but through the feeling and smell in the air, that he was trying to pull himself up, but she heard it, this strange wailing sound coming from him, and it pierced her in a way nothing ever had before. She tried to silence the pain emanating from her wrist and managed to get to her feet, holding it to her chest; a look told her that it was severe, bent at a crooked angle, the cracked bone sticking through the flesh which was torn and hanging from her in a thick flap.

"We can get you back to the Weyr. The healers can help." But even she knew. The way his eyes had dimmed were enough to tell her what was painfully obvious - he wasn't going to make it. That thought was enough to prompt him to try and push up, and the moment he did she cried out, pressed herself to his torn and broken body, and shook her head. "No... no... no. Don't. Don't move. Ichor soaked through her clothes and smeared across her skin, staining her through her flesh and into her soul. She could feel it happening in more ways then one - a slicing of pain against her chest told her it would be painful for him, that he was going to suffer through his hurts. The tears came hard and fast. "This is goodbye, isn't it, Roavani?" She slid to her knees against him, felt him try and curl around her even as he whimpered and bled into the ground. Her mind was starting to shatter. "I can't let you suffer..."

He knew what she was thinking, catching little wisps of it as things started to slowly, painfully, recede and fade. He did not want to leave his beautiful Shiravani, he wanted to stay with her, protect her, in case they came back. But he had made sure they had vanished, the two of them, before returning to her, broken though he had become. He did not want to watch her shatter as he faded. He keened, a soft sound that still hurt to make, that still filled his lungs with ichor, and somehow he managed to turn his body the way she would need it to be. It was going to destroy her, Shiravani knew, but she couldn't allow him to suffer, couldn't allow him to remain in this state. Moving him would kill him, treating him would kill him, and the longer she remained in this frozen state, the longer he would be in pain. She touched his head and sobbed, cried out so painfully it shook her in a manner she would likely never recover from.

Thank you for your mercy, beautiful one. Nodding, certain of their shared choice, Shiravani removed the blade from her back, not sure if it was a blessing or a curse that she was able to use both of her hands equally, that even if her left was dominant and broken, she would still be able to tend to this task. Knowing that getting to the heart might cause him more pain, there was only one other option, and it was the one she had wanted to avoid. But he crooned and nuzzled her with what strength he had left. I love you, my Queen. He trusted her, even in the end he trusted her, and that only served to make her fall apart a little more, grow desperate a little more. He didn't even flinch when the point of the blade was pressed against his temple and the pressure began to set in. She watched his eye, the only one left in his head, as the swirl of colors faded away to a bleak nothingness.

She slid down, touching him, patting him, like a child would a sleeping parent. She could feel it, the broken bond, the loss of his mind from her own. But he was still there, her Roavani was right there in front of her. She could hear the echo of his beautiful voice in her thoughts, like the whispers of a phantom locked in time. It was as if his spirit were telling her to run back to the Weyr, to go find help. There was no sense in those moments, nothing telling her to grab hold of thought and scream as far as her mind would allow for help - in her broken thought process, she was certain Roavani was calling to her, telling her to get on her feet again and run back to the Weyr. "Stay here, Roavani." She told him, as though he could somehow still hear her, as though he could still understand. "I'm going to go get someone, and we're going to come back for you. We're going to make sure you're brought between properly, I promise."

But before she ran, she did one or two things, certain it would keep him safe until she returned with help. She covered him up with as much grass and leaves, branches and fronds as she could find. She then stuck a stick in the ground, a secondary marker next to the blade still protruding from him, and with that done, she walked circles around him, spoke "I love you..." until she was certain the birds around her would sing the litany forever, and only then did she start to run. As the Weyr came into view, she started to sob, babbling nothings to the voice of Roavani in her head, telling him that she had made it as she promised, and soon she would be able to keep the other half of that promise to him. Soon there would be help, forget the hurt of her wrist. The only hurts that mattered were the ones surrounding her heart.

She stumbled into the Weyr Yard, pushed herself forward, because her mind, her mind would not focus. Keep going, beautiful, oh keep going. You're almost there. We'll be together again soon, my Queen, my delight! It would only focus on him, and she choked on a cry when she realized where she could go, where the perfect amount of help would be. Then they could go out and get Roavani and bring him between and maybe... maybe she could go with as well. Maybe then they would be together again. She wondered if that would be possible. Is that what he meant when he said they would be together again soon? She took to the pathway in question, her footsteps almost automatic at that point, and when she reached the Dining Hall she started to panic, because it was all leaving her at once and the reality of the situation was finally starting to sink in. "Somebody..." She begged, trembling and covered in ichor. "Help me please."
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ V'ric ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

LdyPayne
Marks: 3630.00 [Donate]

Re: What is and What Never Will Be ~ { Tag } Open

Postby LdyPayne » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 am

<Something has happened,> Pacaran told his Handler, catching the scent of ichor but unable to see the source. He hadn't been in a position to notice Shiravani run past as she headed for the Dining Hall as he had been behind a building. When he did circle around the wind brought the scent of ichor, pain and fear.

Shyran was in the Dining Hall enjoying a meal and thinking about the gift she had received earlier in the day by her family. She had sent Slick home with a letter to her folks telling her she was now a graduated Daywher Handler only a few days ago. This morning her mother's Fancy Flit had showed up carrying a jar with three hardening eggs within and a letter of congratulations. Apparently the eggs were from not just her parents but her siblings as well.

As she sat eating her meal, more listening to the conversation around her than participating she was considering handing out an egg or two and deciding against it as they were a gift to her when Pacaran bespoke her. Confused she looked around to see if anybody looked alarmed and that was when she spotted her friend Shiravani enter the room, her clothing stained in what she realized was blood and ichor.

Shyran was on her feet and rushing towards her friend in an instant, alarm rushing through her. "Shiravani, what happened? Where's Roavani?"

It's Shiravani, I think she and Roavani were hurt, can you find Roavani? Shyran told Pacaran. The jewel's eyes whirled in concern for his clutchsibling but he didn't see him anywhere near.
----- I'ent -- // ---Inggharudube - // - Lerina --- // ---Shyran --- // --- R'mia --- // ---Zilelmos Image
Marks Tracker

Ember

Postby Ember » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 pm

When Shyran approached, when people took notice, things grew fuzzy as though the situation were suddenly taking on a surreal quality. A murky cloud started to fill her mind, attempted to invade every last crevice as she fought to blink through it all and keep focus on the here and now. It was a futile endeavor, one she wasn't suited to fight at this very moment, and the only reasonable fraction of her that still existed knew it. She started to succumb to the depths, and her entire body started to shake, so fiercely that fell to her knees.

"He's gone." She gasped, her heart stolen from her chest just as her breath was from her body, just as the tears were from her eyes. "Oh Faranth, he's gone." It hit her like a ton of firestone, suddenly, starkly, his voice was gone from her, as was the presence that had been with her since hatching day. No beautiful sound, no reassurance that he would always be there. She tried in vain to make him answer and when he didn't she whimpered in pain.

"I... I have to go to him." She looked up at Shyran, desperate to get to her feet again, and she reached for her friend, hoping she would help with the task. "Shyran, I have to go to him. I promised him." She didn't care that she was hurt and bleeding herself, the ichor mingling with the blood forming sticky streams from the wound at her wrist. "I have to go to him now."

In the nearness, she was vaguely aware of a healer trying to approach, but she hissed and shook her head, forgetting about standing, holding her injured arm closer as if that would stop anyone else from approaching. "Shyran, please, tell them we have to go get Roavani first. He's out there all by himself. He's so alone. He's alone without me."
Last edited by Ember on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:19 am

Before Shyran could reach Shiravani the White Handler dropped to her knees. Now that she was closer Shyran could see her badly mangled wrist, the torn skin and blood oozing freely. Other than that obvious wound Shyran couldn't see any other injury and the bulk of stains on her friend's clothin was the ichor of her Daywher.

"Oh I am so terribly sorry," Shyran responded when Shiravani revealed Roavani was gone. She didn't need to wonder what Shiravani meant by 'gone', the look upon her friend's face was more than enough evidence she meant dead.

<I cannot find him, I don't scent or sense him,> Pacaran responded, his tone filled with worry, emotions that quickly changed to sorrow once he 'heard' what Shyran just learned from her mind. Immediately he started keening, mentally calling out to all that Daywher Pack to tell them they just lost one of their own.

At first Shiravani's insistence on going to Roavani alarmed her as she thought her friend wanted to join her Daywher in death. It was with a sigh of relief when she learned it was to go to Roavani's body. It didn't lessen her grief at her friend's loss however but it did convince her helping her friend was the least she could do to ease her pain.

"I will go with you," Shyran assured her. SHe glanced over at the Healer who was approaching only to pause after Shiranvi had stopped him with a gesture. She realized her friend would need to see a Healer, sooner rather than later if she didn't to bleed herself unconscious or catch some infection which could cost her the use of her hand. "But we can't do it ourselves, please, have a seat, let the Healer bind that wrist of yours while I round up a group of Daywher Handlers then we can go see to Roavani."

ooc: good time for older Daywher Handlers to step in?
----- I'ent -- // ---Inggharudube - // - Lerina --- // ---Shyran --- // --- R'mia --- // ---Zilelmos Image
Marks Tracker

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:23 am

She wanted to resist, and really it was in her to try. But the more she attempted to the more the pain echoed with what was in her heart. "If he were here right now, he would tell me to have it looked at. He would say... he would say "Beautiful Shiravani, let them see. Let them look."" She laughed bitterly through her tears and shook her head, then looked through the water at her friend. "I don't have a way with words like he did, but I think I more or less have it down to the point." She glanced at the healer again and got to shaky, wobbly feet, allowing the man to lead her to a table, but refusing to go much further.

Once she was seated, she turned to her friend and her good hand reached out, despite being covered in her own blood and the dried ichor of her departed friend. The grip was vice like, and she refused to let go until her words were answered. "Promise me no one will go until I'm tended to, Shyran. I told him I would be back for him, and I can't break that promise." There was something desperate in the way she spoke, and she wouldn't take no for an answer - she had to join whatever party went out in order to bring her beloved white back to the Weyr.

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Shyran felt tears burning in the corner of her eyes as Shiravani explained what her Wher would have said to her suggestion. He was a fine Daywher and Shyran knew Pacaran would miss him just as much as she would. Shyran knew that would be pittance compared to the pain and loss Shiravani felt. Others had said a Handler didn't feel the same level of pain and loss if their Wher died than a dragonrider who lost his dragon. Right now Shyran thought those people had no clue what they were talking about. A bond was just as impacting on one's life as Impression would be and it was clear just how much pain Shiravani was going through and it certainly wasn't something one could compare to another person's loss.

"I think you have it perfectly," Shyran assured her. Walking with her friend she stayed at her side when Shiravani sat but kept out of the way of the Healer so he could do his job. Shyran gave her a reassuring smile when Shiravani gripped her hand but her expression turned sober as her friend spoke.

"Nobody will move him till you get there, I can promize you that," Shyran assured her friend. Mentally she had Pacaran relay to the others not to try and find Roavani till she could join him with Shiravani. The Jewel agreed and Shyran gave Shiravani a firm nod. "Pacaran will make sure nobody leaves till you are ready. Once the Healer has assessed and bandaged your wrist to keep it stable...we can head out."

Shyran glanced at the Healer who clearly didn't aree with her. She had a feeling the Healer would prefer to bring Shiravani to the Infirmary, dose her well with Fellis juice then set the bones in her wrist and cast it all up. As sensible as that was Shyran knew Shiravani wouldn't agree to it so best to at last stabilize the wrist and protect it from infection so Shiravani can see to it her bond was brought home. If it came down to it, Shyran would have Shiravani ride upon Pacaran or one of the other Daywhers then see her safely to the Infirmary once Roavani was properly seen to.
Marks Tracker

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 am

The fact that her friend was willing to do this for her broke through just enough for Shiravani to realize how sensible it was for her arm to be treated before they left. She looked down, and as if noticing it for the first time, started to react to the pain in full. She curled forward a little, trying to protect it for a moment, and hissed when the air rushed over it. Her good hand started to quiver as the pain pulsed from one set of fingers to the other, and she felt fresh tears fill her eyes, these ones for a whole new reason.

And suddenly, she was desperate for her mother, her father, even her grandfather. But he was in the North dealing with business at one of the other Weyrs, and she had no way to beg Zenjarth to bring him back. If she had the power to do that, she would have had the power to bring her parents quickly. She had Shyran though, and that was more than enough. "Please don't leave me right now." Her voice was suddenly soft and small, afraid of the pain that she would feel as the healer started to work on her. She didn't want to be alone, she didn't want to be left behind.

Cojup finally came to her, carrying with him their little Gossimir friend in the harness she had made for him. The two little creatures curled up on her shoulders and she let them, even with the discomfort that slithered up her arm and nestled against her neck right along with them. It hurt, and she didn't want them there, but she needed them there more than anything.

The healer started to evaluate her, and after seeing the damage to the bone, he looked at Shyran with a wince and frown. "I've got to set her arm back in place. I would prefer to do it in the infirmary where I can better control any fresh bleeding. Can you please convince your friend to go there so I can tend to it? I don't want her leaving after but... we'll make sure she's wrapped and able to travel once she's taken care of."

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:55 pm

"Don't worry 'Vani, I am not going anywhere," Shyran assured her friend, using the nickname she called her. "I won't leave you alone."

Shyran looked up when Shiravani's pets showed up and settled on her neck. She was half tempted to call her own pets to give comfort but decided that may be too much right now. The Healer spoke then and Shyran turned to look at him.

"I'll try," Shyran assured the healer. Looking at Shirivani she gave the woman's good hand a gentle squeeze. "We should do this in the Infirmary, it'll be easier and you won't have such a large audience. You can sit down and the good Healer will have everything he needs to see to your hand and get it all wrapped up. Then we can go together to see to Roavani. Pacaran will make sure nobody else tries to got to him till you're ready."
Marks Tracker

Ember

Postby Ember » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:36 pm

She wasn't going to argue. Deep down, she might have wanted to, but she was in too much pain to do so much as gasp as she was moved by the healer. She thought about her wher, and how soon she would be reunited with him, and she kept speaking to him mentally, telling him they would be there soon. It was almost in her to tell Shyran, but how crazy would that be? It was bad enough she was starting to smell him, that she was starting to smell ichor again, as if that stench was thick under her nose once more as it had been when she... She swallowed the thick knot in her throat, tried to, and almost failed.

Seeing her more or less dazed, the healer thought it okay to speak to Shyran as he worked on her. "I really don't want to let her leave." Still he whispered, not wanting to take the chance of her hearing while he tended to her wrist. "Look at her? Does she look mentally capable of traveling right now?" Whatever she'd seen, or done, because to him it was clear that something had happened, she was not in the most stable of conditions mentally. "Just keep an eye on her. I'm going to give you something to give her, if things become too difficult. It won't be enough to hurt her, just enough to calm her until she gets back home."

He proceeded to set her wrist again, which was enough to bring Shiravani back to the present, and for a moment, she snarled at him and tried to pull herself away. But she called when Quilcay crooned and Cojup rubbed his head against her neck. "Be more careful. I need to be able to help bring him back." The healer looked flushed and quietly nodded before continuing to work, and when he was finished, Shiravani slid from the bench, her arm in a sling, her body sore and tired.

But one thing was certain. Let's go bring my boy home."

LdyPayne

Postby LdyPayne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 am

Tears started to fall from Shyran's eyes, tears for all the pain she knew Shiravani was going through. The injury to her hand was just the visible cause of pain but the daywherhandler knew the emotional pain deep inside was far worse. Shyran stayed at her friend's side, spoke words of encouragement till they reached the Infirmary. Even then Shyran kept hold of Shiravani's good hand, not letting anything break that all important contact.

When Shiravani started to drift from the pain and the Healer took advantage to address her, SHyran looked over at him with a stern expression. "I know she doesn't look in shape to travel but she'll not rest in any sort of comfort knowing she left Roavani out there. Would you prefer she ends up sneaking out in the middle of the night to find him? No, I will go with her to bring Roavani back. Its the same any person would do for a fallen loved one."

When it was clear the Healer didn't intend to stop Shiravani from leaving once her hand was set, Shyran calmed. She accepted the bottle the Healer gave her. "We won't be alone, all of her friends will go even if most trail behind till we reach Roavani. It will take more than just me and my Daywher to bring him back. I can promise you however I won't let Shiranvi do any physical activity besides riding and standing. Once we're back I will bring her here to finish healing under your care."

There wasn't anymore time for talk as the Healer went to work on Shiravani's hand. When the pain jolted her friend awake and caused her to snap at the Healer, Shyran gave her good hand a squeeze. "It's alright, I am sure he didn't mean to cause you more pain but the bones had to be set...to spare more pain later. Just hang in there, it'll be over soon and we can go bring Roavani home."

Soon enough the Healer was done and Shiravani was ready to go. Shyran stood next to her, slipping an arm around her waist to lend her support. "Yes, lets go. Pacaran waits for us outside as well as our other friends. They will follow to lend a hand once we reach him, none will ride ahead of us, don't worry."

ooc: feel free to move them to Roavani if you want Ember, or we can wrap here, whichever you prefer.
Marks Tracker

Return to “Dining Hall”