Eggs for dinner - Open for Raffle egg hatching

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ainokesshou

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:50 am

Galana should have been an old hand at this by now. She had been through Galask’s hatching, obviously, and that had been a much more significant event than this little thing…

But she had known what kind of being was in the eggs when Galask hatched, even if she hadn’t known for certain that she would ever bond to one. The little bronze that was sleeping the sleep of the thoroughly stuffed back in her apartments had been much as anticipated also. She bought a big egg, and expected a brown or bronze….she really needed to name him. But that was a separate issue.

The tiny egg she had received from the raffle was finally vibrating now, and that was her entire focus. She had tiny pieces of meat, much smaller than she had used even when the fire lizard egg hatched several days ago, and she cradled the little egg in the palm of her hand while she waited for a crack. Of course, the creature was breaking its shell now, while so many people were in the dining hall; wherhandlers waking up and having their first meal, while daytime people were dawdling about their last. Of course, the others who had won eggs might be in the room as well- she looked up to see if anyone else was staring down at cracking shells and wondering what would come out.
Strimian had done this once before, tucking the egg that held Arietta into a sand-filled pot, with heated stones on the bottom, and hiding it under the desk in her classroom so that she could get to it immediately, but it would not distract the children. Now Arietta herself was watching the egg everyday, curious and confused, as if she already knew that whatever was inside, it wasn’t much like her.

Class had been over for several candlemarks, though, and Strimian was leaving her office for the dining hall, to pick up a meal she could eat back in her quarters. She had a system for this, a way to keep the egg with her with the briefest possible time away from warm sands, and until the egg hatched she would be eating finger foods instead of ordinary meals.

Something was tapping from the inside of the egg.

She hadn’t been holding Arietta’s egg when it hatched, so she hadn’t felt the hatching, but she was pretty confident that it was happening. Strimian took several meat rolls, and sat at a table at the edge of the room instead of going back to her quarters. She really didn’t need this egg hatching while she was walking the hallways.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:12 am

Tag: Open
This was a new experience for K'rios, but he had some idea of what to do. He might never have cared for an egg before, but he had an idea of what the process was like. There was a pot filled with heated stones and sands, sometimes kept by a brazier or hearth, and you turned it from time to time to ensured it was evenly warmed. Nothing to it. He kept it with him on a near constant basis, ensuring it wouldn't hatch while he was busy, whether with classes or otherwise, and even Iktomith kept an eye on it for him while his rider was otherwise busy. But while he was eating that night in the dining hall, a later meal that happened to be taking place due to some issues with a couple of Candidates, he noticed the pot doing something it hadn't done before: it was starting to quiver.

The movements were slight, barely noticeable without really looking, but he'd seen his fair share of hatchings to know the signs of when an egg was getting ready to hatch. Grinning, the man set his fork down and got up to go fetch a little bit of meat from the kitchens, even if he didn't know what was inside. Whatever it was had to be the sort of thing that would want a meal as soon as it hatched, right? Knowing he wasn't the only one in the dining hall with an egg, and certain there would be others that would soon show up because of their own eggs hatching, he grabbed more than his fair share of meat, passing some out when he returned, and setting the rest out on an empty table before returning to his seat.
Tag: Open
Shiravani was certain Roavani was more excited for the hatching of the egg than she was. The white daywhere was practically bouncing on his feet in anticipation of what was inside, and she was just as thrilled to find out what was inside of the shell. The whispers were that no one really knew what was inside, and she believed it - even Cojup seemed uncertain of the egg, at once wanting to be near it, and other times shimmying away as though he wasn't certain he wanted to be around it. She didn't think there was anything wrong with the creature inside, only that it was something no one had really seen on a regular basis before now.

So when it started to shake, she looked at the pot she'd carried with her to dinner tonight, and started to grin, contemplating whether or not she wanted to rush back to her wher to share the moment with him. But in his romantic of ways, he insisted she remain in the dining hall and he would share it with her through her beautiful eyes. She nodded and accepted a dish of meat from her uncle, and pulled the egg in front of her, watching in apt fascination as the shell started to crack. From her shoulder, Cojup started to trill and hum, wanting to welcome the little creature inside with a little song of his own.
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
LdyPayne

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Tag Strimian

He had returned to the raffle when the drawing was scheduled to see if he had won one of the strange looking eggs. Much to his delight his name had been called and he accepted the egg, nestled in its own jar of warm sand. As he never had a pet before I'ent found he just didn't want to leave the egg lying around when he wasn't close by. Sometimes he had to leave it behind of course, such as for drills and when Thread was scheduled to fall but every other time he carried the egg on his person.

I'ent had been at the Weyr long enough to feel comfortable enough sitting with most people even if he was still a little leery of women. He tried to take Locke's advice and not shy away from every female who's path he crossed. Looking around the busy hall he spotted a woman holding what looked like an egg. It was then he recalled seeing the woman at the raffle and winning one of the large eggs as well though her name eluded him. What really caught his attention however was the fact her egg seemed to be rocking which brought his attention to his own egg.

Pulling it out of his tunic where he kept it close to his stomach to keep warm, he realized it too was starting to shake. Excitement flooded through him and without even thinking about it he snatched up some meat which was left on a nearby table and sat down across from her.

"Sorry to intrude but I think we both won eggs at the Gather raffle," I'ent managed to get out, focusing on the fact she seemed to be an older woman and maybe not likely to take offense at him just plopping down at her table without permission. "Mine is starting to hatch too and your table is the closest that isn't full."

Given he had plenty of meat for more than two eggs he pushed it in the center of the table for the woman to help herself to. He had grabbed it from the pile of extra meat K'rios had left on nearby table. I'ent didn't mind sharing the meat if the woman needed it. He carefully placed his egg before him, one hand ready to keep it from rolling off the table should the rocking get too violent, the other ready to hand meat to the hatchling.

"You just keep feeding it right?" I'ent asked. As soon as he bought the egg he asked everybody he knew who had a firelizard of some sort what he should do. It all seemed simple enough but it didn't hurt to ask the older woman, just in case she had a different method.
Ainokesshou

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Tag: Shiravani/Ember
Galana was unsurprised to see a large number of people with eggs in the dining hall, given the timing. It was a little surprising that both sets of eggs were apparently hatching at the same time, as she saw some of the large colorful eggs starting to rock at various tables, and people had piles of meat nearby with expectant expressions. One woman nearby was looking down into a small pot with one of the tiny eggs, though, with her older pet humming in excitement.

Galana leaned forward, smiling at the woman several seats down the table on the opposite side. "I guess your current pet is welcoming a friend, instead of thinking it might be food? I have a new baby fire lizard, and I stuffed him to the gills because I wasn't sure if he would understand that this little thing is not supposed to be his next meal."

Tag: I'ent/LadyPayne
A young man, barely more than a boy, started heading in Strimian's direction, and carrying a similar burden to her own, along with a lot of meat. Well, that wouldn't be likely to go to waste, and she smiled warmly as he approached her table. The way he stumbled over his words was rather adorable, and she was amused at the way he seemed to think he needed permission to sit with her. "Don't worry," she said, smoothly, "if I wanted to be alone, I would eat in my office." Not that it was much of an office, and there really wasn't any spare table space for food, but he probably didn't know that.

Then a DRAGONRIDER asked her about taking care of a hatchling. Yes, fire lizards were inherently different from dragons, because they bonded to whomever fed them instead of needing a specific person. It was still amusing to her.

"I do think just feeding it until it's stuffed is our best guess, greenrider" she agreed with him, easily. "That's what I did with Arietta, and I doubt these are significantly different creatures." She shrugged. "If they were at all picky, I"m sure the eggs wouldn't just get handed out, so feeding them is probably enough."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Tag: Strimian / Ainokesshou

It was reassuring to know his presence didn't offend the older woman. I'ent had been trying ever since his talk with Locke about women to not be so distrustful of them. It was easier said than done however and this really was the first time he intentionally sat at a table where a woman was the only occupant.

I'ent was sure he detected amusement in the other woman's voice after he asked about what he should do when the egg hatched. Despite being a dragonrider I'ent knew this was different. Afterall he didn't have to try and lure Shireth to him with offers of meat, she came to him as she knew who she wanted to be with. Firelizards were different and everything others had told him about Impressing a firelizard made it clear. Having the older woman confirm it was all the more reassuring however. He hadn't asked a woman about it before so if they felt it was right, it had to be.

"Just feed it, I can do that," I'ent said confidently. He paused to look down into the jar he had the egg in and saw the egg shake but no cracks yet. Looking up at the woman he realized he hadn't introduced himself nor did she ask who he was. Taking a deep breath he decided to introduce himself even without being asked. "I'm I'ent by the way...."

A loud cracking noise interrupted his introduction and drew his attention back to his egg. A large crack had appeared on the egg's surface then with a violent shake the egg split apart revealing a pale form. Immediately I'ent grabbed some meat and was about to offer it to the hatchling when he realized it didn't look like any firelizard or even starlizard he had seen all around the Weyr. For an instant he thought it was a tunnelsnake and his free hand lifted as though ready to squish the creature. That was when it turned and looked right at him and squawked, freexing him in place. It was then I'ent realized it wasn't a tunnelsnake, but something he had never seen before.

"What are you?" he murmured lowering the hand with the meat. His voice or perhaps the movement of his hand had the creature turn its head slightly and with a sudden movement it was on the meat. I'ent winced slightly as sharp claws dug into the skin of his hand but he didn't move his hand away. Instead he grabbed meat with his free hand and continued to feed the odd looking creature. Whatever it was it certainly was acting like how firelizard hatchlings acted upon hatching.

After several mouthfuls of food it calmed down in its eating and looked at I'ent again and this time I'ent was certain there was some kind of trust in those little eyes. No rainbow lights or sense of any awareness in his mind of the creature however, nothing like he was told would happen with firelizards. For a moment he wondered if he had done something wrong, that the creature will just go wild. When it continued to eat, eyes darting everywhere but always returning to his, I'ent decided it was not going to run off and go wild.

Finally it stopped showing an interest in food and curled up against his hand and fell asleep. I'ent carefully moved it to rest more comfortably against his chest. It gave him a better chance to really look at the creature, with its soft pale scaled hide and what looked like feathery down over parts of its body. It made him think of a faded piece of gold cloth he once saw which some peddler had claimed belonged to the Ancients, a claim I'ent hadn't believed but knew some fool might and actually pay for what likely was just a piece of old faded yellow cloth the peddler found in a ditch somewhere. I'ent decided to call his pet 'Ancient' simply because of the memory it brought out in him.
Ainokesshou

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:20 pm

She nodded at the greenrider, I'ent. "I'm Strimian," she said, then was distracted by the loud crack of his egg. She watched the odd creature (Wingless? or were those almost wings on its front legs?) hatch out, and was a little too distracted for a moment as she held her egg and the tapping got more and more intense. Suddenly the tapping came right through the shell, and a green claw broke right through the shell and into her thumb. It wasn't sharp enough to break skin after losing most of its momentum breaking through shell, but it caught her attention back to her own egg, and she got a quick handful of meat just in time before the rest of the creature pushed out through the break in the shell.

Like the greenrider, she fed her new pet until it was passed out, curling the wingless lizard close. Arietta perched on her shoulder giving the new creature the most confused looks, as if she had expected something else as well, and Strimian gave the brightly colored lizard a long, considering look. "Well, greens are usually female, right," she asked aloud, though she didn't expect an answer. "You're probably a girl, and probably not much of an egglayer if you're like the other types of dragonkin." The lizard didn't shift in its sleep, and Strimian stroked it cautiously.

"I guess I'll give you a musical name, too," she said to the sleeping oddity. "How about Contralto? I've always thought those voices were quite pretty, even if the sopranos are supposedly more valuable."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Tag: Ainokesshou / Galana
There was no telling what was in the eggs, but they were coming close to it - the tapping was increasing, and Shiravani was growing more and more eager with her anticipation. She cupped it with her hands, grinning when she heard someone speaking to her. She didn't look over at first, too focused on her egg, but she didn't want to seem rude like she was ignoring her companion. So she carefully set the egg back down and covered it back up, then turned to Galana. "I didn't think he would but... that's a good idea. I should let him eat a bit just to be safe." She didn't think he'd eat her friend, but as for others...

She grabbed her pail and flicked a few pieces in Cojup's direction, and the blue appreciated it with a chirp before gobbling the chunks down. "I can count on him to keep away from my new friend, but not the ones belonging to everyone else." It was the truth, even if Cojup was a good boy, and after he was nice and full, and back on her shoulder, she turned to Galana again and offered the night handler one of the pails she had nearby. "Here, I have extra with me. Grabbed it in case I had someone join me and seeing as someone did, well, it would seem that I did good in taking a little bit more. Now you don't have to worry about food for your new friend when it hatches."

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Ainokesshou

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 am

Galana smiled her gratitude at the dayhandler just before a tiny, very odd claw pushed through the shell in front of her. It was a rippling color of purple, and followed by a tail that pushed out not far away. She immediately fed the creature, and began trying to figure out exactly how it was different from the gemlizards. She had asked to see a few up close since receiving her egg, but this little one was definitely different. It wasn't just the color; Galana was pretty sure that the front claws were more flexible on her new pet, though she would have to wait for it to grow before being certain.

She studied it carefully once she got it to sleep. "I suppose now I need to come up with two names," she murmured.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 am

Tag Strimian / Ainokesshou

I'ent barely had a moment to register the name the woman gave him before his egg started to hatch. He hesitated just long enough to repeat the name in his head before focusing on the odd creature coming out of the egg. Once he decided on a name, he looked up to see Strimian feeding her own hatchling. It definitely looked to be the same type of creature he had just a different color and maybe a bit smaller? He wasn't sure.

"Looks like those eggs are from the same creature...now just what, by the Ancients, are these things?" I'ent asked in confusion. "I mean...I could see maybe one hatchling could end up deformed but two? Is that even possible?"

He was so confused he didn't realize his questions could very well be considered rude or even annoying to the woman before him. The moment he did however he blushed and dropped his gaze to the table, "Sorry...didn't mean to ask you a bunch of questions like that, not my place to do so."
Ember

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

It wasn't long before Shiravani's own egg hatched, and out spilled a creature not at all dissimilar to the one that Galana held. Wingless, but blue in color, she looked down at it in fascination, a bright smile on her face. Cojup was similarly fascinated, though a part of him was confused by what they were looking at. He showed her an image of the gemlizards and she shook her head. "No, I don't think these are gemlizards, my pet. I think these are something entirely different and unique, though I'm curious where they've come from. How could something like this exist on Pern without being found before now?" She said it, half to herself, half to Galana as she started to feed it.

Oh, right, names. She contemplated what she was going to call her new friend and truly had no idea. She looked him over, thinking of a mishmash of words, like she had with Cojup. "I'm not sure with my fellow. I think its a fellow at least. What about yours? Beautiful by the way." She settled him with another chunk of meat and watched, when it struck her and she grinned. "I think his name is going to be Quilcay."

[ Threads Wanted ]

― Don Roff ―