Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost... But I Might Be | tag Ember/K'rios!

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Sagittarius

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am

• They weren't kidding when they said the cold of between could steal the breath from your lungs. It seemed he was still trying to catch his breath even after his feet touched the ground. Or perhaps it was the sheer enormity of what he was looking at, all wide eyed and mouth agape. The drone of the Greenhandler still perched upon her bond was a faint buzz to the background of the overwhelming awe Tovrik found himself faced with. He'd heard stories, sure, but to actually be in the Weyr Yard? With dragons he'd never seen before? Was that a wher over there? Whoah! Was that a dual-tailed firelizard? No, it couldn't have been. It looked...almost spined! Or were those frills? And could someone please tell him what color that dragon was? But that wasn't all - no, the ridiculous amount of space near blew his mind. Walled Hold was packed full of bodies but here - here a man could move. Shards, look at all the buildings and still space! His immediate thought was wondering as to which might have been the Infirmary, but the weight of his pack reminded him he had another stop to make first.

"Hey, can you---" So lost was he in his amazement that Tovrik hadn't even realized the Green and her rider had already taken off until he'd turned to look over his shoulder. "Tell me...Um." Had she even said where anything was? He couldn't recall. ( Again, not that he'd really been paying attention. ) Where in the shards was the Candidate Barracks? That's where he was supposed to head first, right? Shells...He was lost, wasn't he? With a sigh, Tovrik actually grinned and shook his head, rolling his shoulders in a half-hearted shrug. He'd wanted an adventure, hadn't he? Directions were never guaranteed. The brown gaze cast a quick look around in the close vicinity and snagged upon a man probably only a handful of Turns older than him. Tov didn't exactly recognize the knots on his shoulder but hey, he was a born and bred Holder. Couldn't exactly blame him for ignorance, right? Still, respect was owed and that the young man had in droves for anyone he recognized as bonded.

A few strides of a bounding jog brought him closer and he slowed his pace, an easy and somewhat sheepish grin poking dimples on either side of his mouth. By the Egg, he was about to talk to a new rider! In a Weyr! As a Candidate! Talk about one heck of a good start to this adventure. "Good day, sir. I was hoping you might be able to indicate in which direction the Candidate Barracks might be located?"
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am

Hearing someone address him as sir wasn't exactly unusual. K'rios was used to it, being an Assistant Candidatemaster and all. It was a near nonstop thing on a near daily basis. What did catch him off guard was that he'd just taken a big bite of food, the first since dinner the night before. He looked up at the younger man, his mouth full of food, wanting to respond and being unable to. He started to panic, unable to chew fast enough and afraid he was going to choke on the glob in his mouth.

I'm never going to forget this moment. If I could laugh, I would be howling, as you put it.

Shut it.

Forcing himself to slow, he held a finger up between himself and Tovrik, turned just enough to hide the redfruit hue of his cheeks - for Faranth's sake he was a son of the Weyr, he had the blood of Leader's in his veins, he did not blush in front of students... for that, he didn't even know if this was a student, and what if this was a new student? What kind of image was that going to send to him of one of his new teachers? Good one K'rios. Good one. Just stick your head in a trough next time, why don't you.

Eventually he got the bite down with a healthy drink of klah, and finally started to find his voice to give Tovrik a long delayed response. "Forgot the barracks for now. Why don't you sit down and join me for some klah and food, then we'll take care of all of that?" Okay, so maybe he was twisting duties a certain way to suit his own needs, maybe he was shirking even to do so. But as long as the ends justified the means, did that really make him a bad guy?

Don't you think you should tell him who you are?

Oh. Right.

He wiped his hands off with a clean napkin and offered out his hand for a shake. "Assistant Candidatemaster K'rios. One of them at least. I can take care of your paperwork... well. Do you have search papers on you right now? I can take care of them now if you do."
Last edited by Ember on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius

Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

• Tovrik couldn't help it - he might have quietly chuckled to himself at having asked a man with a mouthful of food a question. "Ah - my bad, I'm sorry. I don't always have the best timing." It was easy enough to take the pause between the two of them to gather his mildly scatter-brained composure once more, eagerly taking a seat when offered. He was still young enough to feel the urge to eat everything in sight and this moment was no exception. With a wide nod, he grinned, "I'd appreciate that, thank you, sir." Shells! Was everyone this nice here? He certainly hoped so --

It took a second for what K'rios had just said to sink in to Tovrik's thick skull and, when it did, his friendly grin exploded into an excited ear splitting smile. He eagerly reached forward a calloused hand to give a stern shake ( his aunt had always said good first impressions were made with a solid handshake ), gathering his bag in front of him like a happy child holding a pillow during story time. "Great to meet you, sir. I'm Tovrik, newly Searched from Walled Hold." The mention of his paperwork had him sifting through to the bottom of his bag where he'd stowed the precious documents, handing them over with a sense of pride. See? He was good enough to be here.

"If it's easier for you, I'm more than happy to get to know one of my new teachers before the paperwork comes along." He had so many questions! Much as he wanted to get to possible new patients, he couldn't deny the giddy rush of excitement at being seated across from someone he was sure was a wealth of information. "If it's not overstepping... can I ask about your bond? I'm used to the Greens and Blues of Walled but this place..." His words faded off as he cast a look around the great room, shaking his head to himself. "This place is something else entirely. Did I really see a red dragon out there?"
Ember

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 am

Firm handshake, happy attitude, quick to pass out his paperwork. K'rios liked this kid already. He grinned as he looked over the paperwork, keeping his attention parted in three different directions - his meal, what was in front of him on the table, and Tovrik himself. He didn't speak immediately, not out of rudeness or not wanting to answer the new Candidate, but rather wanting to check, and re-check that the papers were in order before saying anything first. But he knew the greenrider that had helped fill them out, and when he came to that realization, he decided not to give them the twice over he normally would. Pulling out a stylus from behind his ear, he started to fill out what he would need, and started to finally respond to Tovrik, all but certain it would make the kid's - even though he knew now that he was far from being a child - day.

"You did indeed. That was either Anitath, Danteth, or one of the weyrling garnets that you saw, in terms of the reds." He finished off the papers, made sure the ink was dry and capped off his stylus, then tucked it back behind his ear again before stacking the papers away to file them with the Candidatemaster after he showed Tovrik to the barracks. "They actually showed for the first time at a Walled hatching in Turn 2040, our own Anitath, bonded to Kunati. They're as big as golden queens, though we don't know much else about them beyond that." He reached for his food again, and started to eat, only to realize that he was doing so in front of Tovrik, and how damn rude was it of him to do that. "Wait a moment, why don't we get you something to eat, then we'll talk about more."

Excuse me? He did ask if you could talk about me.

K'rios started to chuckle and brushed a soothing mental stroke over his dragon's "bruised" mind. "And of course I'd be happy to tell you about my dragon as well. He insists upon it, in fact." He finished off his klah, set the papers under his bowl to maker sure they would't float away, and seeing Vigil, his father's firelizard nearby, bribed the blue to sit in place and ensure no one tried to take anything from him. Ever the little guardian, the creature cheeped, ensuring he would do the requested duty of his, bribery or not. Even so, when offered scraps of treats from K'rios' tray, he happily started to snack on them in between keeping a watchful, vigilant eye on his surroundings. "Alright, now that that is taken care of," K'rios turned to Tovrik. "I can show you the layout of the dining hall and get you your own food while we're at it."
Sagittarius

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am

• How could he have forgotten about one of the greatest achievements of Walled's history? Oh, right. Because he'd been working. Not that he would have changed the circumstance, but a small part of him still regretted not being able to attend. "I'll admit it - I missed that Hatching. An older Healer was showing me how to treat signs of complication in a young pregnant woman. She'd been showing signs of early labor but we managed to get her vitals back to normal by the next morning. Interesting case, really, she-" Realizing K'rios probably wasn't interested in a past case, the young man grinned and stood up from his chair to follow the Assistant Candidate Master. "Forgive me, sir. I'll try not to bore you with old cases..." His voice trailed off once again as the firelizard took up his post. What fascinating little creatures! Dragon in miniature, truly, but he'd never been lucky enough to have one of his own. The responsibilities of Apprentice and Belifex had taken too much of his time.

Ah, but here he was, lost in his thoughts again when he should have been paying attention. "I would be grateful sir, thank you." He had no qualms leaving his pack behind to be guarded by the little blue; who would even meddle in the scant belongings of a Candidate anyways? Besides, he was hungry. "May I ask how long you've been bonded? My mother Impressed when she was 16 - Gorgoreth is her Green's name. And this place?" The brown eyes were cast in a wide, amazed stare and his smile split from ear to ear. "She'd be going crazy right about now. Is every Weyr really this big?" He had more questions than a mind could handle and they all seemed to spill out at once. "Can everyone fit in here for a Feast? Is there always this much food available?"

It occurred to Tovrik that right about now his commanding officer would have told him to shut his gob. At least he had the decency to look embarrassed about his rambling. "Ah, apologies, sir. I have a tendency to ramble when I'm excited, it seems. I'd love to hear all you have to say - truly. With as little interruptions as possible, promise."
Ember

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:52 am

K'rios couldn't stop grinning. He liked this kid, he really did. If only all Candidates wore the wonder that this one did. Walled, he said? No wonder he was so excited. "By all means, ask all the questions you'd like, be as curious as you want. We like that here. It's better to ask questions and keep up the conversation than not. People aren't going to pop you on the back of the head for pecking at their ears, and I for one won't shoot you down for telling me stories about past cases. I might not understand them, having smithing blood in my veins, but I won't turn you away from sharing things either." He led the younger man over to the food and tapped the table. "As for the food, there's always a great deal of it. Our cooks, bakers, and staff are constantly working to keep food available throughout the day for all folks of the Weyr and its visitors. During feasts, we're able to fit a great deal of our population inside, along with guests. You'll be in for a treat the day you're here for your first hatching."

He dished himself up with quite a bit more than what was already waiting for him back at the table, thinking about how to word how long he had been bonded. It also gave him a moment to think about that moment again and smile about it. He was still grinning when he started to speak. "I Impressed when I was about to turn twenty-two. Truth be told, it took me a while before I finally started to stand, even though its in me to stand. Both of my parents are riders, and my step-father was one as well. So you'd think I would have wanted to do so from the moment I could. Instead, I ended up Apprenticing to a Smith at Atricis before the move South..." He chuckled, and paused where he was. "I'm an Atricis native, I should mention. So I've been at the Weyr from the very beginning. Was here to help during the move South. If you have any questions about that, I can answer them as well."
Sagittarius

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 am

• Every answer K'rios provided made twelve more questions pop into Tovrik's head and once again, he almost couldn't find a place to start. Almost. Focus. One thing at a time. It was a quiet moment as he piled food high on his plate, the perma-grin still etched across his lips despite his mind going a mile a minute. "Smithing, eh? My aunt is a Smith - Nerunya. Next time you find yourself in Walled, look her up." Faranth, there was so much food! He could eat three more plates piled as high as the one in his hand and the cooks wouldn't have even noticed a dent. "Shall we?" He held out his hand toward their table, falling in to step beside. "Is it odd to offer belated congratulations on your Impression?" More than likely, but what could it hurt? "Despite..." the brown eyes were once again cast around the vast hall. "All of this...Would you mind if I asked you about your bonded?" There weren't just people to get to know in New Atricis - there were dragons to meet -- and treat!! - and he intended to learn about every one of them, if such a thing were even possible.

"And, please, feel free to talk my ear off," he chuckled. "I never get tired of hearing people talk of those they love." He'd seen the way riders could get lost on tangents for hours - maybe that would be enough time to start wrapping his head around New Atricis. It was better to start small and tackle one piece of the puzzle at a time. And to eat such great food in the process! The newly-minted Candidate set his plate on the table, moved his rucksack to the floor, and smiled broadly at the protecting firelizard. "May I feed him?"
Ember

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:16 am

Tell him all about me. Talk all about me. Everything. All of it. I want to hear you say it all.

I will. Demanding little prat.

K'rios grinned though, and glanced at Vigil who was peering at him as he waited for a response to the feeding question. He made the blue wait a moment while he sat down with his own food before giving in with a scratch to the firelizard's back. "Give him some grub, but try not to overfeed him. This might actually be a good early lesson for you in preparation for when you feed your bonded. Make sure you feed him little chunks, and watch how he chews. You want to make sure he chews slowly, and doesn't inhale the whole bite. Vigil knows what to do, but if you pretend that he's a baby dragon that doesn't, it makes the exercise that much easier." Granted, Tovrik wasn't quite to that stage of candidacy yet, but it never hurt to get them started early, when they could learn some of these lessons at a stage when it mattered and could really sink in.

Now, it was time to start talking about Iktomith, before the dragon started to have a fit over not being discussed. "As far as my dragon, he's a pewter, one of the newer colors, though he isn't so new that he's unheard of. Though I suppose for folks at Walled, he might as well be. He's a little over ten Turns old now, and we Impressed right before I turned twenty-three, so I was on the cusp of aging out of candidacy when he found me on the sands." For a moment, however brief of one that was, he seemed to become distant, and his eyes grew foggy, and for anyone else it might be clear what was happening - he was conversing and sharing a moment with his dragon.

When he came back to, he was smiling and looked down at his food and drink with an almost silly, proud expression on his face. It was the proudest moment of my life, becoming a rider. It's really hard to express what its like when you Impress but... I think the closest I can come up with is... imagine finding the other half you never knew you were missing, and suddenly it falls into place and you go "Oh, I didn't know I needed you but now I do" and you're never alone again after that. It's a beautiful moment that can only be compared, possibly, to becoming a father."[/b] And again his face grew distant as he thought about his little girl, and how much he loved her.
Sagittarius

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am

• "When do Lessons start, officially?" Soon as the words are out of his mouth, Tovrik followed the instructions given by K'rios and began to cut his meats into smaller chunks before offering a hunk to the patient flitt. Though he hadn't meant it literally, Tov still found himself studying the way the blue chewed, focused on the way the jaw moved and how easily the fangs slid through the meat. Fascinating. He could have stared all day, feeding that little beastie and observing every inch of him. Ah, but that would have been rude, and thus the young man finds himself dividing his attention between man and animal.

There, though, is a look he knew well. His mother got that look whenever she so much as mentioned her Green. Yet another thing he could watch all day - a Rider speak on their bonded. It was easy to smile broadly as he listened, fingers offering one last chunk of meat to the blue before digging in to the food for himself. It offered plenty of distraction as the glazed look entered his new friend's eyes. Commonplace as it was, especially here and in Walled, he still found the moments to be private conversations, ones he might one day be a part of. Until then, he'd find somewhere else to look in those seconds. They were usually over as quickly as they began, which proved true as K'rios continued. Tovrik found himself nodding as he swallowed, that grin spreading wide once again. "That seems to be a universal sentiment, although I have a feeling my mother sometimes preferred Gorgoroth over us brats," he laughed. "May I one day be as blessed as you, sir." The mug of klah was lifted in cheer before he downed a large swallow, setting it back and eager to continue the conversation. "Pewters fall near Blues, right? I don't think I've seen one in Walled, though seeing as I missed the Hatching of the Garnet, I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a few others." Another chuckle, again at his own expense. He could take a joke, it seemed. "What's he like, if you don't mind me asking?"
Ember

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:28 pm

It made sense that Tovrik wanted to know about lessons. It was one of the first questions K'rios was usually asked when a new candidate came through, so he was always prepared for it. With a smile, he set down his mug and nodded in acknowledgement. "As a matter of fact, lessons are typically ongoing in some form or another throughout the Turn. So even when there are no eggs on the sands, candidates can expect to have something going on during their day besides chores. We find this breaks up the monotony between hatchings. It isn't always the same lessons, since we know many of the candidates are going to be joining us each cycle. We like to add new things, recycle things of the past as well, but there will always be the core lessons that are taught each and every time. So while you're just starting out, the core things haven't started, those won't begin until there is a clutch. You will, however, get to join in on some of the other things as they progress, including, I'm afraid to say, chores. Does that all make sense to you?"

How was he going to describe his dragon objectively though, as he did lessons and chores? He wasn't sure, because all he could do was get that soft, dorky look on his face again and sigh happily as he thought about his dragon. Then an idea came to mind and he smiled, certain that the candidate across from him wouldn't mind at all. Picking up on what he was going to suggest to the young man, Iktomith agreed with a rumble, and with that consent in hand, he glanced at Tovrik, smiled shifting into a pleased grin. "I could tell you about him, but how would you like to meet him instead?"