In a Time of Darkness ~ [Tag] Parker/C'sian

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 am

If there was one thing that Finn didn't like about pregnancy so far it was the way her back ached, no matter how she stood or sat. Right now she was on a cushioned bench in the dining hall, looking every inch the spoiled little Lady that she felt. She wasn't even that far along but she was being treated so good by her man, by her brother-in-law and best friend, by her family as a whole. Normally the attention might have been a little too much, but she actually found she was relishing it all. She glanced at Belladonna, who was hissing as another interested party stopped by to inquire about her eggs, and mentally Finn chuckled. She finally understood how the gold felt whenever she became fat and heavy with eggs.

But you aren't fat. Nor are you heavy with eggs. You only have one egg. Belladonna has several. Had several, that is. Finn gave another egg to the man asking about them and soothed her firelizard with a gentle stroke and another piece of her favorite meat, but it did little to satisfy her friend. Are you sure she'll be better once they're all gone? She doesn't seem like it right now.

I'm certain, my love. You don't remember, but she was in a foul mood the first time around, and she was just fine after. We can't very well keep all of them now, can we? Not with two dragons and a baby on the way, a baby she intended to care for as long as possible before a proper foster mother was found. That reminded her - she wanted to discuss fostering options with Bast. While it might be early for that, in the case of their baby, she didn't think it was too soon at all, and she had no idea if he had any preferences in mind, either.

While she was thinking it, and handing out eggs, she started to focus on something else as well. A worry that had been cropping up the last few days. Through the grapevine of the infirmary, she'd heard about the death of one of the dayhandlers, Esca, and she knew how close one of her Wingmates, C'sian was to him and his mate Devyn. Ever since hearing about it ordeal that the poor man was going through now, without the love of his life, her heart had constricted whenever Bast had had gone to practice, and her stomach had dropped anytime Fall had to be flown. She didn't tell him, but she was afraid to let him go to the skies on most day, even if she trusted Villeforth to keep him safe.

Feeling tears well in her eyes, and knowing what they were from - hormones, thinking of something happening to her mate and the father of her child, thinking of Esca and Devyn - she glanced at the eggs. If she ever lost Bast, she didn't know what she would do. She would be lost, and she didn't think anything would pull her out of the spiral that would follow. Then again... she would have her firelizards, she would have her children. Devyn had his daywher, but he had nothing else of Esca...

The tears started to fall, and she heard Danteth start to panic as a result. Someone stopped to place a hand on her shoulder and she shook her head, insisting she would be fine. "I'm just having a moment. You know how pregnant women can be." But it was more than that. She felt like she needed to do something for Devyn, to show that someone cared enough to try and help with the pain even if nothing would truly take it away but time. She glanced again at the eggs as the tears continued to fall, as her hands fought in vain to wipe them away, and she thought of something that might do the trick.

While reaching for one, one she thought would be special, just to pile sand around it and ensure it wouldn't be taken by anyone else, Danteth spoke to Gastoneth. Pardon me, Gastoneth, but can you have your rider come to the dining hall for a few moments? My rider needs his help with something. It involves Isamuyn's handler, if you need some idea of what she intends...
Dirce ~◇~ Finn ~◇~ L'van~◇~ D'kellen ~◇~ D'ante ~◇~ V'ric ~◇~ Na'vi ~◇~ K'rios ~◇~ J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Joss ~◇~ Fali'vas ~◇~ Koda'vis ~◇~ Cataren ~◇~ Feraliss ~◇~ Rathiran ~◇~ Alastair ~◇~ Melangell
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Life didn't feel real right now. Cas had always been the sort to live for the moment and cherish it, but never in his life had he done that because he was afraid of losing someone he loved in the next. Things were getting better because Talen was getting better, but it was still a long road to full recovery for his boyfriend. Still, Cas treasured the hardships his love faced for he actually got to face them. Unlike poor Esca. Just thinking about his once friend made his throat tighten. He couldn't imagine how Devyn was feeling, nor did he want to. All he could do was be there for his friend as much as he could be and, indeed, he'd stretched himself pretty thin between being there for Talen and Devyn on top of still trying to do his duties as a rider. Thankfully, his Wingleader had allowed him some personal time so he could grieve and be there for Talen.

Even a man as giving as Cas needed a break though, so at the moment he was enjoying a hot meal and a rather full glass of whisky. Cas, brother, Danteth's rider would like you to go see her. She is in the dining hall as well. She says it has something to do with Devyn. His brown broke softly into his thoughts. Bright blue eyes immediately began to look around the dining hall untill he spotted Finn next to a basket off to one side. There wasn't that many garnetriders still, so even if he didn't know her too well he knew of her well enough. Tell her I'll be there in a moment. Cas said and then began to finish the last bit of his fish stew and whisky. He will be there in a moment. Gastoneth passed back to Danteth.

Cas made sure to wipe his mouth before he stood up from his seat and made his way over to the garnetrider. Everything about him, from the way he moved to how he looked, spoke of how exhausted and stressed he was. Despite that, there was a friendly smile curling his lips as he neared the obviously pregnant woman. "Garnetrider." He said as he gave her a polite bow. "Gastoneth said you required my attention and that it involves Devyn. What can I do for you?" Any mention of Devyn got his full attention. As the chimera handler's self-appointed caretaker, he felt it was his job to make sure anything involving him did not upset him any more than he already was.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Ember

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm

Finn smiled up at the brownrider before standing, wanting to be on her feet in order to do this. She placed a hand on her Wingmate's arm, and gave it a gentle squeeze, her eyes full of unshed tears that could, at a moment's notice, slip down her cheeks. She was pregnant after all, and especially sensitive, and thinking of Esca had brought her to emotion more than once since hearing of his untimely passing. "Before I speak of Devyn, I wanted to offer you my condolences on the passing of Esca. I know it must be a difficult time right now for you and those that were close to him. If there's anything I can do for you, Cas, or anyone else that might have known him, please let me know." Oh Faranth, there were the tears, she could feel them sliding down her face. "Oh shit, there I go... I'm sorry... please, just let me know."

Not wanting to become a blubbering mess, and have Danteth squeal to Bast while he was busy, she quickly started to wipe at her face and moved on to why she called for the brownrider. "I was thinking, I wanted to do something for Devyn. I know it isn't going to make things better, but it might make things easier. Belladonna clutched, and I'm giving away her latest batch of eggs." She indicated the dwindling nest, the hissing gold, and smiled fondly at her despite the way she tried to reach for the egg Finn was starting to scoop out of the sands. "I want to give this one to Devyn, to give him something to try and hold on to in the wake of Esca's passing. It may help, it may not, but for all we know it might be the only thing that keeps him going." She bit her lip. "Do you think you could pass it on to him from me?"
Dirce ~◇~ Finn ~◇~ L'van~◇~ D'kellen ~◇~ D'ante ~◇~ V'ric ~◇~ Na'vi ~◇~ K'rios ~◇~ J'on

Joss ~◇~ Fali'vas ~◇~ Koda'vis ~◇~ Cataren ~◇~ Feraliss ~◇~ Rathiran ~◇~ Alastair ~◇~ Melangell

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:25 am

Cas moved to give her a hand up in case she needed one. His callused, yet tender, hand rested over the one of hers she laid on his arm. He could see that even Finn was affected by the death of his friend. It was really touching to him how much other people cared about their loss. He'd had many a person give their apologies to him and to pass on well wishes for Devyn. "Thank you, Finn. We're still in state of shock, honestly. His passing was so fast.." His own bright blue eyes began to water too. "Blood poisoning is what the healers said killed him. There was nothing they could do once the infection got into his blood stream." Had it not been for that he would have likely made it. Part of him felt very guilty, but he was so happy that the same hadn't happened to Talen. When her tears began to flow down her cheeks, that triggered his own. He quickly reached for his handkerchief and politely handed it to her. "Don't apologize. Nothing wrong with crying. Thank you. If I can think of anything I will."

He accepted the egg she handed over to him, despite the irritated grumblings of the mother. "Finn, this is really really sweet of you." Cas said as he reached a hand up to dry his own cheeks. "I'm sure the only think that could really help Devyn is for Esca to come back, but...since that isn't possible all we can do is try and give him as much love and support as we can. He'll get through this...it's just going to be a long and hard road, but maybe this will help. We can hope that it will help." He pat the egg softly and hoped that whatever was in it would make his friend happier and at least bring him joy. "It would be my honor to take this to him. Really, thank you, Finn." Cas said and then gave her a hug.
F'lin & Mnenomth | Mar'lus & Shardamakath | C'sian & Gastoneth | B'tian & Villeforth | Sid'nis & Iolith
Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth | So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Ember

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:18 am

She thanked him for the handkerchief and held it to her face for several moments, and then again after he accepted the egg for Devyn. Her entire body seemed to relax after he'd taken it, so much so that even Belladonna seemed to settle somewhat, even though she was still staring at the brownrider with red-eyed irritation. Finn folded and re-folded the piece of cloth she held in between dabbing at her eyes and smiled. "I have no idea what's inside, only that I have a feeling that what's in it is good. Will be good for him, at least. Bella's first clutch was full of large, healthy babies, but she's didn't tell me who the sire was that time, and she hasn't told me who the sire is this time, so I have no idea what will come out of the egg. I just hope whatever it is will bring some kind of peace and comfort to Devyn during this time."

She knew she couldn't keep Cas, he had his own mate he probably wanted to get to, and the egg would need a pot of sand and warmth. She would give him a tiny bit of instruction, then see him off. With a smile on her eyes despite the tears, she shifted the rest of the eggs in the nest, though only less than five remained. "It should hatch within two or three days, I estimate, so Devyn might want to stick close to it, and have something on hand for it to eat. I'm sure he knows how to care for an egg, so I won't go all mothery about it, despite the fact that I really want to, so I'll leave it at that." She turned to him again. "Will you please send him my love and regards along with egg? Or have I asked you that already?" She felt like she was going to cry because she couldn't remember even that.

― Don Roff ―
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:02 pm

"A time like this, anything that could bring even a tiny amount of happiness is a treasure. Thank you so much." Cas stated and then pulled her in for a comforting hug. He held her there for a moment as comforting her, helped to comfort him. Plus he was a tactile person normally, so it wasn't beyond him to hug people. "For a moment, I was worried that I would know too intimately how Devyn is feeling, but thank whatever powers that be Talen pulled through. There's still a long way for him to go before he is back to one hundred percent." He knew that Finn wasn't really familiar with his boyfriend, but it was easier to talk about the happiness of Talen getting better than the sadness that Esca did not get better.

"Of course I will. I'll make sure I tell him that you are giving him a gift before I hand him the egg." Cas assured her. "I believe that he is off for grievance for this whole week, so it won't be an issue for him to stay near it until it hatches." He wasn't sure if Devyn planned on taking all the time off he was given, but he was sure he could easily be around for the hatching. He couldn't blame Dev if he'd rather get back to work as soon as possible. It was nice to have something to do to keep your mind occupied instead of dwelling on the sorrow. He just hoped that Devyn would be able to move on from this. Cas wasn't sure if he'd be able to, but honestly that was the only thing anyone could do after losing a loved one. Cherish all the memories, but move on.

"Alright, I'll leave you to it and get this egg immediately to Devyn before I head back to the infirmary." Cas gave her another hug and then took his leave. Having to give the egg to Dev was a good excuse for him to check on his friend.

{fin}