I Could Have Sworn... ~ [Tag] Ainokesshou/Vin'del

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Ember
Marks: 1108.00 [Donate]

I Could Have Sworn... ~ [Tag] Ainokesshou/Vin'del

Postby Ember » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:08 am

(Note: Backdated to just after Verikath won Paiseantath's last flight, Autumn 2044.)

You don't have to leave now, L'van. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you stayed just a little bit longer. Zenjarth, still cocooned by the two greens that had happily comforted him after the flight, was not in any mood to move, besides. He sincerely hoped his rider had no plans to leave the Weyr anytime soon, at least; the lovelies at his side made it quite clear to him that he was more than welcome to enjoy their company for as long as he wanted it.

The man clicked his tongue and chuckled, before leaning over to kiss the cheek of the woman who had willingly kept him company, and given him comfort, after the flight. As much as that idea sounds interesting, my friend, I really should consider getting myself packed and prepared for the inevitable transfers that are about to take place. The idea of no longer being Weyrleader, well... it hurt a little, even if he knew, logically, that the position could never be forever. It was the pang of losing, something that would fade given a little bit of time and some patience towards himself.

He left, going straight to his apartment. He was hungry, insatiably so in fact. But he didn't feel as though he could face the Weyr just yet. If he took some time to pack his belongings, maybe allowed the one or two visitors that would come by without fail, then he would be all set to stop by later for something to eat and drink. Maybe even something to drink throughout the night. Repeatedly. Because today was a day to kick back and say fuck it, and hearing the approval in his mind from his dragon only solidified his decision to let loose for once.

Nothing wrong in doing that, especially on a flight day.

After a few candlemarks of going through things, packing some and tossing few others, he sent Vigil off with notes to family in the North to inform them of the events before they heard them from second hand sources and cleaned up. When the blue returned it was with a full belly, a little bag of his favorite treats, a new rock for his collection, and a small thing of notes. L'van shook his head and relieved the firelizard of his things, gave him a pat and scratch in approval, and let him off to nap and hoard his new precious before he took a "much needed" nap.

"Now," he ran a hand through his hair. "I better go get some food for myself." And drinks. Couldn't forget the drinks! Making his way to the dining hall, he gathered a plate, spoke to a few people, took his usual seat, and accepted drinks when they came his way. After all, who was he to say no to the kindness of those around him?
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ V'ric ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

Ainokesshou
Marks: 1476.00 [Donate]

Re: I Could Have Sworn... ~ [Tag] Ainokesshou/Vin'del

Postby Ainokesshou » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:58 am

Vin’del supposed he should be grateful that his sisters and sister-in-law had figured out their plans so quickly after losing everything. They had certainly all been profusely grateful to him when he insisted on transporting all of them to their new homes. He couldn’t quite muster the energy for something as positive as gratitude, though. It all seemed like such a ridiculous waste.

The energy in the Weyr felt odd, as they returned, and Folith explained it easily. There's a new Weyrleader, he said, and Vin’del winced at the knowledge that they had missed a queenflight. He certainly didn’t mind for his own sake, since he would have been even less interested in that...loss of control...now than he usually was. And even if he had felt experienced enough for the leadership, he would not have been able to give the job the attention it needed right now.

However, he needed to know what to expect. << Who is the new leader?>> he asked, and Folith waited a fairly long time before answering.

Verikath's, he answered, finally. His tone was somewhat bewildered, and Vin’del couldn’t blame him. True, the unique blue was larger than many bronzes, but a bluerider as Weyrleader? That had to be a first, at least for a Weyr with Northern dragons. The Southerners at Walled Hold had a weird leadership structure anyway.

Folith landed near the dining area, before heading off to his favorite ledge. He didn’t really understand his rider’s alternating grief and muted anger, though he tried to be supportive. Still, he would spend what remained of the day enjoying the sun instead of trying to make sense of Vin’del’s frustration. His rider headed into the dining area, getting a plate of food and a glass of wine. Then he stared at the glass. It wasn’t one of his father’s pressings, of course. The man had made a fairly middling bottle of wine, and Vin’del didn’t think he had ever seen any of it served in the Weyr. It smelled pretty similar to the wine they had been drinking at the gather the night before the fire, though, and Vin’del didn’t think he would ever be able to tolerate that smell again.

He looked around the room, and saw the previous Weyrleader sitting at his customary table. Well, he would probably appreciate the wine today, and Vin’del certainly didn’t want it. He walked over, and set it near the other man, a little rougher than he should. The liquid sloshed a bit, but didn’t spill, and Vin’del glared at it, instead of looking into the older man’s face. He and the Weyrleader were both entitled to drinking away their sorrows tonight, but Vin’del was worried that with his father and brother’s examples he might not be capable of stopping at one night.

“I think this will do you more good than me,” he said, gruffly, before setting his plate down and heading off to retrieve a glass of water instead. He sat down, and stared at the food for several minutes as if he had forgotten what to do with it.

You are hungry, why aren't you eating? Folith asked, confused, and Vin’del rubbed a hand down his face before picking up a bit of meat, and chewing on it without really tasting it.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth       Folith          Zenith
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:13 pm

L'van watched the other, younger, bronzerider for a long moment. It would seem that he wasn't the only one facing troubles today. In fact, where his were less personal than professional, he would hazard a guess that Vin'del's were every bit as personal as the look on his face might suggest. He remained quiet for several moments, trying to decide if he should say anything or not. If he did so, he might risk disturbing the other man's thought process. Then again, L'van suspected he'd sat with him for a reason, and perhaps they could commiserate together tonight. Perhaps he himself didn't want to get utterly shitfaced alone tonight. It would be utterly undignified for a man of his status to let himself become so imbibed in such a public setting, but while he was here, why not get a start with good company?

He set down his fork and wiped off his mouth, then washed down the bite in his mouth with a sip of the wine delivered to him by his current companion. It wasn't bad at all. Not his favorite, but he liked this vintage and he was glad for a glass of it. "You turned down a good glass." He commented while setting it down, looking around to see if there might be anymore being passed around on trays. "You know," he got to the point of what he was about to say. "It looks like I'm not the only one having a shit of a time today. I don't know if you want to talk about it or not, or if you just want to get drunk with me and let loose about what's ailing us when our senses are numb. But regardless, I'll listen, and I'm here."
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Vin’del took his time chewing while he thought about L’van’s invitation. It was unlikely he would get dangerously drunk if he was drinking with someone else...but not as unlikely as it should be, considering that the other man had something to be miserable about too. He didn’t want to start any kind of habit, knowing that the men in his family didn’t seem to know how to stop. “I should be grateful,” he said aloud. “My sister’s new husband was completely gracious about suddenly becoming responsible for a sister-in-law as well.” Cynically, he wondered if he should also feel grateful that his sisters had no belongings for him to haul around because they had been destroyed in the fire. Stalena had been saying things like that while they packed up the few things kind (or condescending) neighbors had given them in the past sevendays. Arden had not had much patience for her sister’s attempts to find something positive, and for once Vin’del had been inclined to side with his more blunt and temperamental teenaged sister. In some situations it was ridiculous to look for something positive.

I would have been able to carry much more, so I don't understand why it would be good there wasn't more, Folith agreed, and Vin’del grimaced.

“I don’t know if I’d be a weepy drunk or an angry drunk right now,” he said, “so I should probably avoid finding out in public.” Or in private. In fact, he should avoid finding out at all. He could have wine again when he didn’t wish his father was still alive so that he could scream at the man.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

"That's usually the best course of action." Over time, L'van had learned the kind of public drunk he was, and for the most part, as long as he stuck to the "right" kind of drink while around people, he could easily keep his wits about him. There were times when he slipped up of course, even at his current age, but it didn't happen as often as it did when he was younger. He didn't wish to see that happen to Vin'del at all. "So your brother-in-law took on your sister, that's what I'm getting so far. I don't know much else about what's going on, but I would think that's a good thing." But he paused, and tilted his head, because he didn't know the full story, and he frowned a little. "Though I do apologize. I don't know everything going on in your life, so maybe I shouldn't be commenting on it until you share more. If you decide to that is."

He felt Zenjarth rumble a bit, and clicked his mental tongue a little, asking what was going on. He didn't receive words, but did get the impression that maybe he was getting a little too soppy because he was getting too deep into his glass already. He looked into his cup and wrinkled his nose. This was only his second, maybe his third. Not too deep yet in his opinion. Deep would be when he was back in his apartment where it didn't matter whether he made a fool of himself or not. Regardless, he did slow down and he he did ask a passing drudge to bring him some water and bread, figuring the two of those combined with the food he already had would probably help him a little, and benefit Vin'del some in the process.

Image x11

Ainokesshou

Postby Ainokesshou » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Vin’del sighed. He knew that most of the Weyr would not know anything about his situation, and he scowled. “My idiot father got drunk enough to leave a fire unattended,” he muttered, darkly. “Now my little sister is an orphan, and I spent the day settling her and my other sister in with my brother-in-law.” He glared at the glasses sitting on the table, though he was well aware that the wine itself had never been the problem.

He was grateful when the water and bread came around, though he had not taken any wine to counteract at this point. He began pulling little pieces of bread off before eating them, because he was legitimately hungry, even if he was more frustrated, and angry, and sad.

It was just so infuriating that he risked his life fighting Thread to protect people. Then some of those people were just reckless with their lives and others’ because they were unhappy or bored. It was a pointless waste.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ember

Postby Ember » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:51 am

It was short, what he was told, but L'van listened nonetheless because it was important to Vin'del. What he was told was shocking, and it hit L'van hard. What his father had done had destroyed lives, and the younger bronzerider had every right to be upset about it. In his shoes, L'van would have felt the same way about it. He frowned, knowing if he had it in him he would have gone after the idiot who had caused the fire to begin in the first place, simply to smack some moral sense into him, but that was beyond the point now. It would always be beyond the point from now on.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, thinking about how he would have felt had it been one of his children that had lost their mother or step-father, and it tore at his heart. How any man could be so foolish and careless was beyond him, and it was in him to want to reach out to Vin'del, but he got the sense that it might not come off the right way. Then again, he didn't know the younger bronzerider the way he knew some of them. Perhaps they could become friends if he handled things the right way.

This was a delicate situation though.

He didn't want to upset him at all.

"I'm very sorry about your sister's situation, Vin'del." L'van set his cup of wine aside, suddenly sobered beyond belief, his own problems thousands of miles away as he focused on the other man. "I know I may not be able to do much of anything, but if I can possibly do anything at all, please let me know. Whether it's for you, or for your sister, I can pull resources that might be of assistance to the two of you. It wouldn't be any trouble at all, either."

Return to “Dining Hall”