Taste Testing [OPEN]

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3172.00 [Donate]

Taste Testing [OPEN]

Postby Marvealle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 am

It was toward the evening in the Weyr. That in between time just after dinner where the day-living folk slowly filtered out of the dining hall and most of the night-living folk weren't quite awake yet. The kitchens had finished with the dinner rush and were cleaning up and putting stuff up. Lolena was there, dutifully helping to clean everything up as was expected of apprentices. Once everything was cleaned up and the dinner time workers filtered out, Lolena checked in with her current mentor, an older, large woman named Konsta.

"Konsta, may I stay late and practice some of the recipes you've been teaching me," Lolena asked of her mentor, earning a slight raised brow for a moment that couldn't draw from her amused smile.

"Ya, go ahead lil' red. Just dun go nuts. And clean up after ya'self, ya hear?" She waggled a warning finger at Lolena, who only beamed and nodded.

"Yes ma'am, thank you."

It was a good time for apprentices to practice and learn on their own a bit, as it was between dinner for the day-time folk and breakfast for the night-time folk. Only a small handful of staff would be in the kitchen and there would be a low demand for any food, mostly just klah at this hour, so Lolena wouldn't get in the way. The rule was that she couldn't make too much and waste ingredients, otherwise she'd be helping to drag new bags of whatever she used from the storage rooms, which had happened once or twice and it was not easy or fun.

So Lolena got to work on her baking practice, getting her ingredients and tools and got to work. She glanced over a small little leather bound notebook that had the recipe she was practicing written in it. She planned to put many recipes in this small book, but for now just a couple of ones were in here that were given to her as an apprentice to practice.

She put together the dough she needed, and already had the oven heated to the proper temperature, after checking the heat and messing with the fire a bit to get it right. She portioned out her dough and cut out stripes of it before twisting it, brushing each one with a butter wash, and sprinkling a little cinnamon on top. Then, into the oven pans went. After that, she just had to wait. There were other parts she needed to do, but she knew better now than to start things too soon, after having whipped up creams far before they were needed, only to watch them warm and deflate. She knew better this time and would be patient and watch her hourglass for the right time. She could afford to take a little time and see who was out in the dining hall right now, she thought as she planted herself in one of the thresholds between the kitchens and the dining hall to see who was around. After all, she would need taste testers before long.

((Note: Multiple players/characters can hop in on this, as Lolena would like to be able to get a few different taste testers if she can ^.~ ))
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ember
Marks: 1108.00 [Donate]

Re: Taste Testing [OPEN]

Postby Ember » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:56 am

Saibra didn't want to be up, not yet. She was tempted to turn on her heel and head back to bed but two things kept her from doing so - she'd been sick for close to three days, and during those three days, she hadn't been able to hold down food. She was starving right now, and needed food, and lots of it. Sarsk's eat good. Sarsk sorry not there. Would make sure Sarsk's get plenty of food stuffs.

Oh, lovey, that isn't going to be an issue at all, believe me. The kitchens will be lucky if I don't eat them out of the territory. She pushed up her sleeves as she neared her destination, the delicious smells assaulting her senses already, and making her toes curl in her boots as she considered what she wanted to eat first. Baked goods. She wanted baked goods. Fresh bread, pastries, delicious things that she'd been denied during her forced convalescence in bed.

Despite the growling of her stomach though, her first stop was an important stop in the dining hall - the nearest klah pot. She was weak and exhausted after all, and she needed something strong and hot to infuse her bones with heat and strength to help her through her work tonight. Not that she'd be allowed to do much, given the fact that she was still getting back on her feet. Fucking illness, thank Faranth it had come and gone relatively quickly.

After pouring her mug, she looked around for the nearest pile of food, and spotted Lolena and her knots instead, she grinned behind her mug instead. Just her luck she run into a baker tonight of all nights! "Please tell me you might be in possession of some good, fresh, baked things?" She would, even, be willing to pay for them.

Whether the girl was an Apprentice or not.
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ V'ric ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

Ainokesshou
Marks: 1476.00 [Donate]

Postby Ainokesshou » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 am

Being a weyrling was exhausting. At every stage, someone told him it would get easier after some specific thing changed. When the dragonets started sleeping for longer periods of time between meals. When this particular growth spurt ended, and they weren’t all needing so many oilings that P’list privately thought that the smell of the oil had become permanently stuck in his nose. When they were big enough to fly the short distances between barracks, lake, and feeding grounds, so they wouldn’t be slowly toddling after their riders.

At every stage, either something would be added in terms of lesson or chores, or some other change would happen to wear them out. And now, on top of everything else, P’list was going through a growth spurt of his own. He was ALWAYS hungry. When Elahrairath was hungry too, it felt like he was just a bottomless pit of starvation. He was outgrowing all his clothes, it seemed like he only went a few sevendays between getting new pants that were a little too long, and realizing that the same pants were now barely reaching the top of his ankles. But mostly, as he was thinking before, he was hungry. If he wasn’t sleeping, or assigned to some chore or task, he was probably in the kitchens hoping for a snack. Because it seemed like his stomach was always trying to digest itself.

He peeked into the dining hall, just before heading off to bed. His stomach was unpleasantly empty, and if he didn’t eat something now he would be waking up too early, starving half to death. He saw a kitchen worker standing in the threshold of the kitchen, and he tried to look as pitiful as possible. He couldn’t quite pull off the pathetic eyes he had managed as a child, but he was very obviously gangly and awkward, and he thought most of the kitchen workers could tell by looking at him what he was going through.

“Could I get something to eat before bed?” He asked. “It confuses Elah when HE wakes up because I’M hungry.”
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth       Folith          Zenith
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3172.00 [Donate]

Postby Marvealle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 am

Lolena was a little surprised to see one of the wherhandlers in this early into the evening, but then again, it wasn't unheard of for some wherhandlers to wake up early for this or that reason. No doubt, her bondmate would still be asleep though. So she watched as the wherhandler, bronzehandler of all things too, stepped up Lolena and made her request.

"Please tell me you might be in possession of some good, fresh, baked things?"

She chuckled in response to the older woman, before realizing that might have seemed rude and stopping herself by clearing her throat.

"Ah, yes, ma'am. I am actually baking something right now. It isn't much, just an apprentice's recipe, but I am looking for a taste tester."

Before she could say more, someone else approached, a boy probably around her age, looking pathetic with his begging eyes. He might have looked to be in that awkward stage of life that boys apparently went through, but he was rather pathetic.

“Could I get something to eat before bed? ...It confuses Elah when HE wakes up because I’M hungry.”

Lolena chuckled again, "Ok, ok, I have something sweet in the oven right now that I need taste testers for." She glanced between the two before her to show she was talking to them both. "I could possibly hunt down some bread rolls from dinner that were left over as well, at least to tie you over until my pastry snacks are done." And in case her pastries didn't pan out somehow, the two wouldn't be without something in their stomachs.

"Oh, forgive me, I am Lolena, an Apprentice Baker. I'm here late practicing some recipes." Best to get introductions out of the way, as well as give them both the chance to turn down her pastries. She needed taste testers, sure, but she wasn't going to force someone to eat something from an apprentice if they didn't want to.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Ember
Marks: 1108.00 [Donate]

Postby Ember » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 am

It had been perfect timing after all then - fresh baked goods at a time when an Apprentice was trying to practice. This would feel like she was being spoiled. "I don't know about the young sir here," Saibra said, indicating P'list. "But I for one would be happy to taste test anything you might need us to try for you, young ma'am." She gave a respectful bow of her head - even if she were older, even if she did outrank the girl, she wasn't going to disrespect her when she was offering free, fresh baked goods.

"It already smells so wonderful. How long have you been baking, Lolena?" She realized it could have been long, that the girl looked to be about the same age as P'list and he himself seemed awfully young. "Oh, where are my manners!" She pulled out her hand and offered it to first the baker, then the rider. "Saibra, of bronze Sarsk, who is still blissfully slumbering in the darkness of his den."

She felt for her bond, and sure enough, he was sound asleep. There would be no waking him up until he was good and ready to be roused, and that wouldn't be until it was time to eat. It was routine - same time every night unless things needed to change for a reason. Usually he could be moved if need be, he wasn't that lazy, thank Faranth. But they hadn't had an emergency like that before.

She hoped they never did.
Last edited by Ember on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn ~◇*◇~ L'van ~◇*◇~ D'kellen ~◇*◇~ Dirce ~◇*◇~ V'ric ~◇*◇~ K'rios ~◇*◇~ J'on
Saibra ~◇*◇~ Joss ~◇*◇~ Rathiran ~◇*◇~ Alastair ~◇*◇~ Fali'vas ~◇*◇~ Wykoda ~◇*◇~ Cataren

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

Ainokesshou
Marks: 1476.00 [Donate]

Postby Ainokesshou » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 am

P’list grinned when she offered them sweets if they waited a little bit. Some of the older riders claimed that there were things you shouldn’t eat right before sleeping, but he had never had a problem yet. He was pretty sure that his body used food up too quickly for him to have any issues like that, though in a few turns that might not be true anymore. “I’ll try some of your sweets when they are ready,” he told Lolena. Honestly, HE was doing HER a favor, right? “I sure wouldn’t say no to some rolls while we wait, either. My belly is so empty, it’s ridiculous,” he added, though surely it hadn’t been THAT long since dinner.

“It doesn’t matter if they aren’t perfect,” he continued, “s’long as you don’t poison us, I’m sure we’ve both been through worse.” He had tried some of that dried trail meat that caravans carried with them once, and he had been convinced it wasn’t really food. Even if the sweets got burned, or were too chewy or something, they would be better than that.

He wondered when the girl had started baking, too. They’d both been weyrbrats at Atricis Weyr for turns, though they didn’t really have the same friends, but he couldn’t remember if she had always loved cooking. He did wonder why she had not stood at a Hatching yet, but he knew better than to ask that sort of question. Some girls still felt uncomfortable with the idea of riding a fighting dragon, and some weyrbrats had health problems that you couldn’t see, but that kept them from being candidates. He had asked an older kid once several turns before he himself was eligible, and his foster mother had scolded him harder for his rudeness than he had ever experienced before or since.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth       Folith          Zenith
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask

Return to “Dining Hall”