Stringing Them Along (Open)

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Lanni
Marks: 2462.00 [Donate]

Stringing Them Along (Open)

Postby Lanni » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 am

Halimila was finishing up the last few morsels of her dinner when an idea flickered across her mind. A wide smile came to the girl's face as she focused on the idea. The only thing holding the candidate back was the possibility that she might not have the tools and materials necessary for the task dancing before her mind's eye. It wouldn't take much to bring the thought into reality but if Mila was missing just one key piece then the whole idea would be moot. So with her cheeks bulging around a rather large bite, Halimila's hands floated down to check her pockets and the small satchel to see what she had with her. With a squeal and a small wiggling happy dance, Mila found what she was hunting for between the satchel and her left pocket.

Pushing her plate to the left a bit, Mila spread her goodies across the scarred table: Two odd-lengths of different colored leather, one well-loved ribbon and the remnants of an old necklace that had broken the day before. For most Mila's goodies would seem like junk or items bound for the trash but for the freckled teen it was the beginnings of a fun project. Thankful now that she hadn't thrown out the old beads last night, Mila began to arrange them in a pattern that made little sense. Big, small, skipping colors and pairing odd designs, it was as if Mila had no sense of fashion at all! With a happy hum the teen-aged candidate finished her plotting. Leaving her beads in their odd order, Mila picked up the strips of leather and the worn ribbon. After tying the ends together in a firm knot, Hali began to weave the strands together. Every so often the girl would pick up one of her beads and string it along the strand currently in her hand. Still humming to herself and her meal forgotten, Mila began to enjoy her free time creating a new necklace from the shards of the old.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3172.00 [Donate]

Re: Stringing Them Along (Open)

Postby Marvealle » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm

It was a pretty ordinary dinnertime for Nali. She sat at the candidate's table with the others that were here for dinnertime, and spent more time focused on her food. Nali tended to eat all at once then socialize afterward if there were others willing to socialize. That was probably why Nali wasn't talking to anyone when one of the other candidates sitting near her finished up her food and began to do... something. In fact, Nali was sure she remembered her name, Hali... something? She would just go with Hali for now, but she was sure it was at least that much, since she's been a candidate now about the same amount of time as Nali. They just hadn't interacted a whole lot before this.

Curiously, Nali watched, finishing her own food as Hali dropped some items onto the table that really didn't look like any of them went together. Some leather, ribbon, and some beads. She'd pulled all those from her pockets too. A bit of a packrat then, Nali thought with some amusement as she watched Hali begin to lay out her items. She couldn't see any sort of pattern to this girl's method though. After Nali's food was gone, she just had to poke her nose in to see what was going on. So she scooted herself across the long table's bench so that she was sitting across from her now.

"What are you doing?"

(Just a little note, since this open thread was posted before Nali's recent standalone, I'm going with this being before that IC as well)
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lanni

Postby Lanni » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:57 am

Hali was so lost in her own little project that she barely took notice of the world around her. Deft fingers wove a practiced pattern as the world faded around her. It wasn't until a voice sounded off nearby that Mila remembered where she was. With a small startled squeak and a flutter of her fingers, Hali turned her brown gaze towards the figure across from her. Blinking in her surprise, the brunette tried to place why the voice sounded so familiar. Sadly her startled response and the distraction of her thoughts had the bead in her fingers dropping out of her grasp. Another startled squeak left the freckled teen as she tried to catch the small bead in the folds of her skirt. Unsure if her tactic had worked, Mila turned her attention back to the female across from her.

"I'm working on a new necklace," She stated with a small dose of happy pride in her tone. "I'm always trying out new bits of jewelry and today I just happened to have the supplies to make one of my own!" Unaware if her happy mood was affecting the familiar face, Mila continued on, "I know you, don't I?" She asked tilting her head to one side with a small frown now marring her features. "I feel like I know you but I cannot place it!"
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Marvealle
Site Admin
Marks: 3172.00 [Donate]

Postby Marvealle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:32 pm

It was hard not to laugh when Hali squeaked and then dropped one of her beads. In fact, Nali didn't do a very good job of hiding her laugh, though she at least had the courtesy to not laugh too loudly. Instead she half covered her laugh with a sort of "snerk" noise, covering her mouth with her hand before schooling her features so she didn't look quite so amused by the startled candidate's antics. Especially because she did in fact answer her question.

It was interesting that Hali was making her own necklace. Nali really wasn't the creative sort, so she did find other people doing such things interesting. Soon though the topic shifted, and Nali couldn't help her chuckle this time. So far this other candidate was amusing.

"I live in the candidate barracks too. You're Hali, right? I don't remember your full name though, or at least I think I'm forgetting part of your name. Oh yeah, I'm Nali." She then realized something, letting out a small laugh as she did.

"Hali and Nali? That would get confusing really quick."
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character & Thread Tracker | Marks Tracker ::..~
Ari ..::||::.. Nali ..::||::.. K'rin ..::||::.. Tovalia ..::||::.. M'ir ..::||::.. Raevin
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Inakil ..::||::.. Elias ..::||::.. Naia ..::||::.. Sterling ..::||::.. Solonia ..::||::.. Letitia ..::||::.. Lolena'vas ..::||::.. Aoivas
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lanni

Postby Lanni » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 am

While her cheeks did flush slightly at the other girl's reaction to her bumbling fingers, Mila did understand why it was so funny. In fact if it had happened to anyone else, Hali would have joined in the giggles! Smiling through her embarrassment, Hali waited for the answer to her question. Glad that she didn't have to wait long Mila's smile grew. "I knew it!" She muttered beaming as the connection was made. As the Nali introduced herself, Mila had to blink as she too made the connection between their similar names. "Close! I'm Halimila but some call me Hali, some call me Mila and others have all sorts of nicknames for me!" Mila admitted with a chuckle of her own.

As the conversation lulled a bit, Mila went on a hunt for he wayward bead. With a happy sigh Mila fished out the small trinket from her skirt and held it up for the other candidate to see. "Pretty little things aren't they?" She asked as her mind drifted over ideas on how to continue their conversation. "So what else do you do around here? I've only seen you at lessons and chores. Do you have a craft?"
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Dining Hall”