Awkward Little Stars - Aino | Al'ster

Despite being new, this dining hall is very similar to the one back at old Atricis, giving a familiarity to the new Weyr. It is one large, central cavern carved out from the side of the cliff with many tables of varying sizes and seat numbers. The kitchens are attached, and there is a set of stairs leading down into the lower caverns.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Season - Early Summer 2048 (continuation of The Cheer)
Time - Evening
Location - Atricis Weyr | Dining Hall - 72nd Hatching Feast

@Ainokesshou | Al'ster

Angela still tried to understand why someone like him would tell her something... well... something like that.

"I meant. . . I know being pretty isn't important. I wasn't trying to say that you being pretty was more important than your intelligence, or your craft, or anything. I just meant. . . that you are pretty. Your face is nice to look at. . ."

The more he said, the more her own golden complexion brightened with a blush. Why did he say such things? What did he mean when he said them? And did she want it to mean anything?

"I can't be the first person to tell you that."

Eyes averted his own, hesitant to answer that last part, if only because Angela began to suspect it might actually make things worse if she did. But he did kind of present a question that needed to be answered. "Ummm... actually yeah." People always said that sort of thing about her sister, but never herself, and honestly, Angela was all right by that. Emalia liked that sort of attention, revelled in it even, but Angela preferred to keep to herself and avoid that sort of recognition. It was why she actually felt so out of place in the dress she wore. The way the silver gilt fabric cinched about her waist fanned about her chest asked for those in attendance to regard her. And regard it seemed they had.

"Sorry," she quickly apologised. "I'm not really good at this sort of thing..." eyes widened when she realised how that could have been taken. "The compliment, I mean!" Angela would never imply that he liked her, or that she even liked him. He was a friend. "I just... I don't know..." eyes buried once more to the floor, not really knowing how to explain how she felt at the moment.
Ainokesshou

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:22 pm

He was making her blush. He supposed at least she matched him now, though he thought the blush looked much more attractive on her than it did on him. He just looked blotchy and awkward. She actually managed to look even prettier when she blushed.

But that he was the first person to tell her she was pretty? That didn't make any sense. She was pretty in a nice, comfortable way, even in her daily clothing. Now that she was wearing something meant to call attention to her appearance, it was really obvious.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, at all." Al'ster said. "And there's nothing wrong with how you are taking the compliment. I guess I can understand why no one mentioned you were pretty before, because they had so many other nice things to say about you that matter more."

She was good with lizards, after all, and a hard worker, and friendly. "Pretty is only something that's on the surface. You're also nice, and helpful, and obviously care a lot about your family. They probably focus on praising the good things about you that you can actually control."
Quiloth       Elahrairath     Nahumth       Arjunavoreth
ImageImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas Maukerith
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask             Aesk     
Shaihulud

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, at all."

Silver eyes dared to regard Al'ster, albeit with a touch of hesitation.

"And there's nothing wrong with how you are taking the compliment. I guess I can understand why no one mentioned you were pretty before, because they had so many other nice things to say about you that matter more."

The blush deepened, or at least it felt it had by the way the heat came to her face, nearly numbing her cheeks and the tip of her nose.

"Pretty is only something that's on the surface. You're also nice, and helpful, and obviously care a lot about your family. They probably focus on praising the good things about you that you can actually control."

How was Angela supposed to respond to so much praise as the kind he bestowed to her? Silence ensued, the kind that spoke of her own uncertainty and lack of words for response. Eyes darted about, worried if she drew even further attention to the things he spoke of, there might be the real possibility of upsetting his dragon. As a weyrbred woman, Angela could scarcely stand the thought of hurting any dragon, especially one as young as Maukerith. Think on the dragon managed to give her just enough of a distract for the two of them, even if it was slightly repetitive. "H-how is Maukerith? I mean... is he settling?" Are we bothering him? she wanted to ask, but did not dare. Once more she thought of the fact if they brought any more attention to the matter, they would arouse the brown's suspicion.
Ainokesshou

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Al'ster was grateful when Angela managed to change the subject. He was flustered, but confused. Why did she act like it was so odd to acknowledge she was pretty. She seemed flustered, too.

And she asked about his new favorite subject. "Maukerith is just fine, sleeping right now, but absolutely perfect." He grinned at her. "It's a good thing I know from my experience with Ripple that it's normal for him to sleep so much, and frankly, given how much he eats when he's awake, I will probably be glad of it for a while."

It didn't occur to him that Angela might be worried about the tone of their conversation, that it was inappropriate. There was a difference, after all, between telling a young woman she was pretty and trying to crawl into her bed. Flowers were pretty, stars were pretty, and some women were pretty. He could acknowledge she was nice to look at without it going further than that in his mind. Certainly he would never do anything to risk or upset Maukerith.

"He's far more energetic in short bursts than I expected, but those bursts are ridiculously short right now. I'll probably have trouble keeping up with him once he spends more time awake."
Quiloth       Elahrairath     Nahumth       Arjunavoreth
ImageImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas Maukerith
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask             Aesk     
Shaihulud

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am

Her awkwardness stemmed from the fact that so often when she heard someone addressed as pretty, it was attached with a catch. In the case of Emalia, who was far more frequently showered with compliments, there always seemed to be ulterior motives for it. However, where Angela balked at the idea, Emalia flirted with it, for she enjoyed the idea that anyone might admire her in such a way. Of course, if disinterested, she would tell them 'no', though if she did enjoy the company, she would happily duck off for a quick snog if either of them were brave enough. Meanwhile, Angela sat back in shock that her sister would dare such a thing with someone she hardly knew.

Of course, even knowing someone, Angela still could not fathom such a thing, though others had made it clear that such thoughts had crossed their mind about her. They had not called her pretty, not like they had with Emalia, but they had shared their... thoughts... And immediately, Angela shrunk from them.

No thank you.

Did Al'ster tell her for the same reasons Emalia received those compliments? After a moment of thought, Angela realised it was for the best that she did not pry anymore into the reasons why the weyrling brownrider made such an observation about her.

"He's far more energetic in short bursts than I expected, but those bursts are ridiculously short right now. I'll probably have trouble keeping up with him once he spends more time awake."

"Maybe," she chuckled with the slightest sound of tightness in her voice. She feigned a smile, albeit a nervous one, and glanced about, until finally she caved. "It was good talking to you, Al'ster. I'm happy for you-" she made a glance around, spotting Emalia with ease "-I need to go find my sister now, make sure she doesn't get into trouble."

It was mostly a lie, though Angela did want to at least be with her sister, if only because she would provide Angela with the shelter she required from the odd feelings she began to sense. Uncertainty, doubt, distance... and something else she was not entirely familiar with, though not at all equipped to deal with at the moment. "Thanks for speaking with me though. I'll see you around, Al'ster."