Among Opals - Ember | J'on

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Season - Late Autumn (Fuzzy Timed)
Time - Later Afternoon | Shortly After Drills
Location - Atricis Weyr | Weyrlake

Speaker of the Weyr N'kili and Opal Dragon Omiimiith

Her Wing.

Only several days had passed since Ma'lek and Solange's departure, yet N'kili still had not entirely adjusted to her new position. The first few days left her dizzy with dismay, for never had it dawned on her that such good fortune could be bestowed upon her. At the start of the Turn, the opalrider's focus remained solely on the ordeal in Walled, however, it seemed that with new turn came a new opportunity. After Ma'lek and Solange offered her the option to replace them as the lead diplomats of New Atricis, N'kili realised the powers that be had provided her with a chance to succeed at her agenda. Yet she could not allow her excitement to best her. Mindfulness was critical now more so than ever before. If she was to use her newfound position to advance the cause, N'kili needed to plot with caution lest her life be cut short by an anger Mother.

While this certainly is a matter to ruminate upon, I think for now it is best that we let the matter rest. We both had a long day, and I need a good wash and oil.

Yes, Omiimiith was absolutely right. The day had filled itself with missives and requests, leaving the opalrider's eyes to become cross with words. Once the lines began to blur together, and she could not tell whether a letter's use of the word "cleave" meant to bring together or cut apart, N'kili realised she had had enough.

So shall we go to the lake then?

Yes, Miimii, I think we shall. Before she left, the opalrider made sure slip her gemlet into the gilded cage she had made for the creature. Large bodies of water were no place for the little bismuth like Pearl. Duke, however, was eager for their field trip to the lake, and even made sure to find his favourite wooden toy to bring with him on the trip. Once N'kili changed into some proper attire for the water and gathered a sheet to lay on, the little mottled brown firelizard took to her shoulder. Only then did he resumed his gnawing on the well worn corner of his favoured bauble.

"You ready too, Duke?" she asked of her friend as she made her way to the door.

He trilled through his chews.

Together, rider, firelizard, and dragon glided down for the Weyr lake, though they noted the time and realised they would not be alone. Did you hope to see some friends while we were here? she asked of Omiimiith in playful suspicion. As a social dragon, the little opal loved enjoying the company of her kin, especially other opals and pyrites, though encountering those of her hue was a rare occurrence. Omiimiith and N'kili were one of the oldest bonded opal pair of New Atricis now.

We do not truly have friends, but I did hope to make one today.

N'kili smiled warmly at her lifemate as they touched down. Then do take your time, and I will enjoy the sun. Even in autumn, the sun had not forgotten how to warm with its inviting rays.

That does sound nice. When N'kili dismounted her dragon, the little opal skipped off to the waters and submerged herself the moment the water reached her shoulders.

Friends, that would be a nice thing to encounter, N'kili thought with a faint smile. During her previous time in New Atricis, the opalrider had failed to do such a thing. Granted there were some acquaintances she had made, even daring to fancy one or two of them, N'kili was never actually granted the opportunity to know anyone well enough to call them companions or friends. Instead, N'kili found what consolation she could in solitude, or at least what solitude Duke permitted her to have. "Do you wish to swim as well?" N'kili asked of the little brown.

Large eyes regarded her before his excitement swept him off her shoulder. After several waves passed beneath him, the little brown relinquished his toy and dove into the refreshing lake.

And now N'kili was alone. She wrapped her arms across her chest, for she did not entirely know what to do with herself. Therefore, she thought it best to relax, just like she promised herself. There was a nice stretch of sandy shores for her to enjoy, thus she decided to do just that. Once she settled onto the sand with a blanket spread out beneath her, N'kili laid back to enjoy the warmth of Rukbat's embrace.

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 am

Time for the lake! I don't even need a bath, I just want to swim!

J'on chuckled and grabbed hold of Dashing's favorite toys. The canine was eager to get out as well, perhaps just as much as his larger opal friend. Thankfully he was trained well, and would stick close to his human, not going far over the course of their time outside. He really was a good pup, even though he was still young and should have been more likely to zip around uncontrolled.

You got to him early.

That I did. And I had some help from Fox. Along with some of their friends who had experience with the creatures, which had helped. Now he had a well trained and beloved pet who enjoyed nothing more than charming the socks off of strangers until he got attention from them. If you want to go on ahead, you can. Or are you planning to wait outside for me? The response didn't surprise him - she was going to wait outside - and so he grinned and hurried up, placing a hand on her warm hide once he and Dashing were outside.

She nosed against the canine and crooned when he licked her cheek in return. If only they could speak to one another, she would have told him she would race him there, which would have been funny she thought, but instead, she watched him bound around in little hops, his excitement to play and splash evident. The closer they came to the water, the more excited event Desdomondyth became. There's another opal at the lake. I think I shall go greet her. You should greet her rider.

The young opal lifted into the air and flew towards the lake, landing in a dainty manner in the water and sinking until she came upon her older opal brethren. Hello! I am Desdomondyth of rider J'on, who calls me Des. Who might you be?

Tossing one of Dashing's toys for him, as far as he could to give him the chance to properly greet who he suspected was the older opal's rider, J'on approached N'kili and smiled as he stood next to her. "She's gorgeous." He said, nodding towards Omiimiith as Desdomnody joined her. "Mind if I join you since our girls are greeting one another?"

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 pm

The sun felt divine, leaving N'kili to smile at the warmth. It felt like the rain of one thousand loving kisses upon her skin, seeping through flesh and warming the soul. It had been some time since N'kili had lost known the feeling, thus through the use of simile did N'kili manage to recall what the touch of affection once felt like.

Don't think such things. You will find someone again, Omiimiith was swift to remind her.

The opalrider chuckled softly in turn. Perhaps... Though was it truly the end of the world if she did not? So many turns had come and gone, leaving only Omiimiith as a constant in it. While lonely at times, N'kili could not entirely say she was saddened by her state of persistent solitude. There was certainly a peace to be found there. Some people lived their entire lives in such isolation. Who was to say she was not one of those people?

And yet a part of her did ache for that companionship. Several men had offered their affections to her over the turns, but N'kili had never been one to enjoy their intimate company. So disinterested by the thought of their rough touch and thoughtless kisses, she often found herself repulsed by the very idea of trying. Oddly, however, she never thought that way about women.

"She's gorgeous."

The masculine voice successfully true N'kili's thoughts away from the idea of companionship. She regarded the man, suspicious of the compliment.

"Mind if I join you since our girls are greeting one another?"

Yet despite her former thoughts, it did not necessarily mean she did not get along with men. If anything, she liked to think she had proven otherwise over the turns. "I don't mind at all," she offered with a kind smile. Reaching over to her blanket, N'kili tugged the corners around her hips. "I take it then that she's yours?"

In all honesty, it was not common for N'kili to meet other opalriders. Why did they always seem so rare in the very weyr they came from?

Hello! I am Desdomondyth of rider J'on, who calls me Des. Who might you be?

Omiimiith immediately trilled back at the sight of another opal. I'm Omiimiith! It is so wonderful to meet you. Eyes whirled blue towards her new companion. How old are you? I never see many opals where we've been. I'm always the oldest, and that's never fun.

Ember

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:09 pm

"I take it then that she's yours?"

Once, when he'd first Impressed her, there'd been uncertainty and distance in confirming that Des was his due to the circumstances that had followed where his family was concerned. But ever since that had fallen by the wayside thanks to his beloved Fox, love and affection for the opal brightened his face the moment the very thought of being able to do so came to him. He nodded and settled down next to the other opalrider, lifting his chin towards his tiny little dragon - though little and tiny were hardly words that should be used to describe a dragon (he was going to anyway). "That darling little thing is my Desdomondyth. Impressed her here at Atricis nearly three Turns ago now. She's my everything." He turned to face her and offered his hand. "J'on, by the way. Pleasure to meet you."

How old are you? I never see many opals where we've been. I'm always the oldest, and that's never fun.

She flapped her wings in her excitement, though she hadn't meant to splash anyone in the process. It was just a fun thing for Des, always, to meet other opals, and this one was so excited to see her! J'on says I'll turn three in the summer. That seems like so long though for him, he says it hasn't been very long at all. She didn't quite understand the difference, but if it meant she got to spend more time on Pern with her rider, than so be it. You're the oldest you know? I'm the oldest I know! Though I think that comes more from all the babies that keep hatching, though J'on says they're supposed to be rare. I didn't know that we're supposed to be a rare dragon. I don't feel special or rare. I'm just Desdomondyth.
Shaihulud

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:17 am

Three? Oh yes, she was so young indeed. As Omiimiith crooned in amusement, she listened to the loquacious little beast wander off with her words, entwining thought with conversation. Desdomondyth seemed like quite the jovial creature.

J'on says I'll turn three in the summer. That seems like so long though for him, he says it hasn't been very long at all. You're the oldest you know? I'm the oldest I know! Though I think that comes more from all the babies that keep hatching, though J'on says they're supposed to be rare. I didn't know that we're supposed to be a rare dragon. I don't feel special or rare. I'm just Desdomondyth.

Yes, she was the youngest, and they were indeed one of the rarer sorts of dragons, but that did not mean they were anything like even browns or pewters, which were even more rare than themselves.

Yes, though perhaps uncommon might be a better word for us. Though we might not be found much outside of Atricis, we still have a big family with in it. Still, Omiimiith still had difficulty located their own sort. Ages had past since she lost saw her brother, and turns had gone since she met an opal or pyrite older than herself. N’kili thought it had to do with their size, making them pervious to the threat of thread fall and their lack of endurance. Under masses of stress and exhaustion, mistakes were easily made, meaning opals and pyrites could very well be the most susceptible to mistakes made in fall.

”That darling little thing is my Desdomondyth. Impressed her here at Atricis nearly three Turns ago now. She's my everything." Though she did not entirely know the reason why, something about the man told N’kili he was nothing for her to worry about. He did not seem like the sort of man to impose himself on her, much like she was not the sort of woman impose herself on a man. She accepted his hand. "J'on, by the way. Pleasure to meet you."

“Thank you, J’on. It is always nice to meet another opalrider. I’m N’kili, Speaker of Atricis, and it is a pleasure to meet you.” Taking in the man, she noted more than just his demeanour. He seemed not at all like the youthful sort she would have expected of a rider of three turns. “You seem older for someone so freshly Impressed. If you do not mind me asking, did you Impress from the stands?” It was possible that he was an older candidate at the time of his Impression, though N’kili it thought it worth asking nonetheless.
Ember

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Yes, though perhaps uncommon might be a better word for us. Though we might not be found much outside of Atricis, we still have a big family with in it.

Des considered that a moment, and were she human, she would have nodded in response to what was being said. She understood it - few though their color were in number, they gathered in a relatively large amount within the walls of their home. That warmed her, and she enjoyed the thought immensely. Crooning, the young opal decided she liked her elder very much so, but wouldn't dare call her that - she was still considerably young and sprightly, so there was no need to insult her by calling her that word.

But she would respect her, which was something she had come to deserve and earned throughout her Turns with hard work and experience. I would like to meet other opals sometime, I think. J'on says that I shouldn't be so impatient, but sometimes I think it isn't fair. There are so many greens, and blues. But I suppose he has a point. She paused to consider something else, and started to brighten, chirping happily when she came to a realization at the end. I do have my brother, and I get to spend time with him sometimes. Just not all the time, but that's okay! We still get to see each other, and now I have a new friend in you too!

He tilted his head in her direction, denoting that he had taken in her name and title and meant to be kind and considerate of her presence. "Well, N'kili, Speaker of Atricis, I'm afraid that I was never a stands Impression. I just had a... series of unfortunate situations take place around the time I Impressed." Thinking of what had happened before, after he had bonded to his Desdomondyth still left a bitter taste in his mouth, but he just had to think of her, had to think of his boyfriend, and it soothed him. "Growing up wasn't much better. I suppose that's where the aged demeanor I give off might come from."
Shaihulud

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 pm

I would like to meet other opals sometime, I think. J'on says that I shouldn't be so impatient, but sometimes I think it isn't fair. There are so many greens, and blues. But I suppose he has a point. I do have my brother, and I get to spend time with him sometimes. Just not all the time, but that's okay! We still get to see each other, and now I have a new friend in you too!

How amusing this youngling. The older pearl admired her for her spirit as they same alongside one another. Such youth was to be cherished by humans and dragons alike, enough so that Omiimiith said nothing about her own brother whom she had not seen in turns now. N'kili never told her what happened to him, but Omiimiith recognised it was best not to ask a question when she would likely be hurt by the answer. In the back of her mind, when the name Towodith manifested, she knew in her heart why she no longer felt him. You can always call upon me as a friend, answered the older opal, who decided not to worry the innocent creature with sad stories.

"Well, N'kili, Speaker of Atricis, I'm afraid that I was never a stands Impression. I just had a... series of unfortunate situations take place around the time I Impressed. Growing up wasn't much better. I suppose that's where the aged demeanor I give off might come from."

"My apologies for your circumstances," she answered kindly and genuinely. "Though I hope fortuned has favoured you since your Impression. And please, call me N'kili. There is no need for ranks among opals." The formality of titles always made her feel uncomfortable outside of those occasions when they were deemed necessary. This was due in part to the immense sense of self awareness that occurred when the title was uttered in moments of rest, a time when title and duty were furthest from her thoughts.
Ember

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:59 am

You can always call upon me as a friend,

That pleased the young opal very much. She wriggled down into the water, belying the elegance she so normally threw off on dry land. But she was happy, excited. She was in the presence of another opal, and one that wanted to be her friend. How could she not be so out of touch with her natural personality? And you, in return, can call upon me to be your friend if you'd like. We need to stick together, us opals. It only makes sense that we should, now that we know of one another.

"My apologies for your circumstances, though I hope fortuned has favoured you since your Impression. And please, call me N'kili. There is no need for ranks among opals."

The look that passed over his face then could only be described as a mixture of happy and loving. He nodded slowly as he considered the man that had placed it there, and slowly he came out of the slight stupor that had resulted. "Yeah. It took me a while to realize I had better things here than what I was stupidly holding onto when it came to my previous life." He glanced at her, his face suddenly masked by something serious. "How is it that we can be so foolish sometimes? I've tried figuring that out since I Impressed, since he came into my life and I resisted how kind and loving..."

He stopped for a moment and looked at his fingers, realizing he was getting too personal, too fast. He could have saved the two of them so much heartache and pain had he not dug in for so long. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laying something on you when we've only just met." Then he put a smile on his face and looked at her. "So before we sink any further down a hole I've tried to create, tell me about yourself, N'kili? I haven't met any of the older opalriders before on such a personal level - I'd really enjoy knowing more about the color and the riders themselves."
Shaihulud

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 pm

"Yeah. It took me a while to realize I had better things here than what I was stupidly holding onto when it came to my previous life. How is it that we can be so foolish sometimes? I've tried figuring that out since I Impressed, since he came into my life and I resisted how kind and loving..." It seemed J'on had something on his mind that was bothering him, but just as quickly as the remark came... "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laying something on you when we've only just met. So before we sink any further down a hole I've tried to create, tell me about yourself, N'kili? I haven't met any of the older opalriders before on such a personal level - I'd really enjoy knowing more about the color and the riders themselves."

With one stream of thought, the opalrider evolved from joyful to melacholic, regretful, and finally to cheerfully pleasant. The transition indicated a weight upon the man's heart, an injustice of the past so recently conquered, and yet forever lingering. And for all J'on tried to fight it, keeping his outlook positive at least outwardly, the pain still showed.

"It's all right," N'kili answered in assurance. She regarded the man, eyes welcoming to a friend. Perhaps it was their dragons, or the realisation this man was likely safe, that N'kili found herself willing to talk to him at depth if he required it. As a former Envoy, N'kili was also use to the emotional burdens shown by others. While she would maintain her composure, she would also offer an ear where required. "If you have something on your mind, I can listen. It is my understand that sometimes it is best to talk through things. The fact you mentioned it to an acquaintance merely means it still bothers you." Sometimes catharsis was the best remedy for such things, to lay it out all so the mind could better process it and discover a cure that the heart could bear.