Shadows and Shadowing <Tag Feraliss/Ember>

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
LdyPayne

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Like every evening Inggharudube spent about an hour working out, always pushing himself to do more and being as strong, agile and flexible as he could be and keeping himself in perfect physical condition. Only then did he feel like he was ready to face the evening. Bathing and changing into his usual work clothing and well worn Wherhide, Inggharudube roused his Wher ready.

It was a free day for him but that didn't mean he didn't like to keep to the same routine. Inggharusk still needed to be exercised and tonight Inggharudube planned to take him out to hunt instead of just feasting on the Weyr stock. The bronze preferred to hunt his own food and not from a pen and Inggharudube enjoyed being out in the jungle. But first he had to get the bronze harnessed up and appropriate gear stored up.

This he could have done in the Wherhandler caverns but Inggharudube instead carried what he needed and lead Inggharusk outside. The sky was clear and the moons up so there was plenty of light without being overly bright for a Wher's sensitive eyes. Once they were out in the jungle Inggharudube knew his bronze will be far more comfortable but was fine for now.

Flying overhead was Goad, Inggharudube's starlizard. The bioluminscent spots along his body catching the light of the moons, making him stand out among the darker back drop of the Weyr. Inggharudube wasn't the most affectionate when it came to his pet but he at least provided all necessary care. Goad didn't mind the lack of pampering however, he was independant enough to hunt for himself now and find his own companionship. When Inggharudube was planning to go out however, the starlizard always came with him, sometimes riding on Inggharusk's back or flying overhead.

Iggnarudube tossed the harness he was carrying up onto Inggharusk's back and started shifting it into place before tying it off. It was a task he was very used to doing so it wouldn't take him very long to get the harness secure. He did notice a few spectators but it didn't bother him to be watched. Looking around Inggharusk he realized one of the spectators was taking a particularly keen interest in what he was doing.

"If you want to learn how to properly harness a Wher, come on over and I'll show you," Inggharudube called out.

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Keeping an eye on what the handlers did had taught Fliss a decent amount about what it was they did, and whers in general, though he was still trying to fuel himself with information on an almost constant basis. Most nights he'd spend time, when not dealing with chores or lessons, in the general areas where the handlers would tend to their beasts in the hopes of catching something new. Tonight he was not only seeing something that had made him catch and pause, but by a man that he hadn't seen yet, and so he'd paid particular attention to the situation. He looked like someone that should have caution used around him, and while Fliss wasn't worried about anything at any point in time - he doubted trouble would be brought to him so long as he didn't bring trouble to anyone else - he still knew he shouldn't fuck with someone like that.

He was called over by the man, and he decided to take him up on the offer because that thought of caution aside, he was very much interested in learning about the harnessing procedure, and the bronze wher he was bonded to period. He approached, pushing up his sleeves as he moved, and smiled to himself when he felt Astral land on his shoulder. The protective blue wasn't going to let him approach a wher, however tiny that he was, without being close to his human, never mind the fact that he wouldn't be able to "protect" him from the much larger beast no matter how hard his little heart tried to act every inch the big bad dragon.

Nodded when he reached the handler's side, he offered his hand, out of respect, and tipped his head with bit of a smile on his bearded face. "Thank you for giving me some of your time, sir." He knew better than to go without addressing him as anything other than "sir" or "handler, sir". "If there's anything else I can learn from you tonight as well, I'd appreciate it. i'm new to whers in general, and eager to learn what I can about being a handler."

LdyPayne

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:19 am

He was a polite young man, Inggharudube gave him that. There had been a time he expected to be shown such respect, especially by the male slaves he trained but those days were gone and while he was a Wherhanlder at New Atricis he won't ever be training slaves again. Fortunately he was quite fine training anybody who expressed an interest to learn what he could teach when it suited him.

"Name's Inggharudube, this here is Inggharusk." Inggharudube took the young man's hand and gave it a solid shake. He probably could crush the man's hand but he saw no point in it, especially if he wanted the man to be able to use it to help. Mentally he told Inggharusk to get a good scent of the young man and not fuss. "Now that we shook hands you can offer yours to Inggharusk, palm up so he can get to know your sent and see you as a friend."

The Bronzehandler took note of the protective looking blue firelizard on the young man's shoulder. "Best make sure he behaves himself when you do so. I would hate to see your friend injured or eaten should it try and make a go at Inggharusk." He knew his bronze was more likely to rear back to protect his vulnerable eyes from an attacking firelizard than try to eat the creature and by then Goad would be dealing with the blue. However he would prefer not to have any incident with the firelizard and a potential Wher Candidate if that was why the young man was so curious, would need to have his pets well under control.

Image x10
--claimed--
Ember

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:57 am

Fliss offered the bronze his hand, palm up as instructed, regarding the large beast with the respect and awe that he deserved. He was impressed with the raw strength that radiated from him, and he smiled as he waited for the passing - or not - grad that he would receive from him. "I am honored to be in your presence." He said, not quite in reverence, but close enough to let the bronze and his handler know that he was showing the creature the respect that he deserved.

While he waited, he received additional instructions from the older man, and he knew what he meant about Astral. The blue was cantankerous at best, especially when it came to his protective stance, and he didn't wish to see him put to harm. But he was smart enough to know that was a very real possibility if he was too much of a little shit while he was in the company of Inggharusk.

It was with that in mind that he spoke to the blue, quietly, softly, while he sat perched on his shoulder. "Stay where you are while you're here, Astral. If you try and leave my shoulder, I won't hesitate to send you away." There was an edge to his voice as he ended his little line that came with some force. He wouldn't hesitate to do exactly as he said. The blue sagged against him, a telling sign that he understood, but would do as he was instructed.

"He'll listen." Fliss promised, glancing at the handler. "I'll make sure of it."

Image x7
[ claimed ]
LdyPayne

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:15 am

Inggharusk took a step forward so he could lower his great head and sniff the boy's palm, getting a good wiff of his scent. He won't forget it now as he was very good at remembering scents. It was what made him such an excellent tracker though in time he may forget which human it belonged to. He just wont't forget the scent itself.

He did keep an eye on the little blue winged creature on Feraliss's shoulder. Inggharusk was more than capable of eating the little firelizard if he thought it was a threat but he personally would prefer to make friends with it like he did with Goad. The Starlizard was an interesting companion and along with his Handler they made a good team. The Starlizard could get into small places Inggharusk couldn't reach, not without causing quite a bit of destruction and noise. Satisfied neither human nor firelizard was going to be a problem, Inggharusk gave a deep snort and took a step back, satisfied.

Giving a nod when he saw the firelizard take a more relaxed stance Inggharudube decided the blue won't be an issue. "Good to see you have good control over him. If you hope to be a Wherhandler you will need to be firm, sometimes Whers can be stubborn creatures even when having a strong bond. Inggharusk can be a handful when his blood is up. Good thing you caught him in a good mod, it wouldn't be the first time he tried to take an arm off of somebody he decided he didn't like." Inggharudube sounded like he was being serious but in truth he was teasing the boy, curious how Feraliss will react.

"Now what's your name boy? I do like to know who I'm speaking with especially if you want to learn something from me." Inggharudube eyed the other man calmly.

Image x4
--claimed--
Ember

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 am

Good. He had some respect from the wher, though the man knew he wasn't going to always be so lucky. This was just a whim of good fortune, he was certain of it. Thank fuck whers couldn't sniff out what you were in a past life, Fliss thought, he wouldn't have passed the mark then. Pulling on those thoughts and tucking them down, not wishing for them to be revealed at any point in time, he listened and decided it would be best to just focus on what was being said. "Is that so, sir? Shame I had to deprive him of a snack then. Perhaps next time I'll have to bring him a few tasties as an apology offering, don't you think?"

He was still grinning when his name was requested, and he bowed his head in greeting. "I'm wher candidate Feraliss, and I appreciate this chance to learn from you both." He turned partially towards Inggharusk and gave him a little bow, showing the wher his thanks through motion as well. "I assure you both that I make a good student, and I'll do my best not to be overly tiring or annoying when I'm around you both."

LdyPayne

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Inggharudube snorted at Feraliss's response but nodded approval. He liked the fact the younger man wasn't easily intimidated even at the possibility of getting hurt by a Wher as big as Inggharusk.

The bronze had his own thoughts about the conversation and gave his own snort which was far louder and more gruff than his Handler's. >Not eat human, not good good, but tasty treats welcome, bring next time.>

"Oh no you don't,' Inggharudube cut in having caught what his bronze had told Feraliss. He looked over at Feraliss as he continued." He gets more than enough food as it is and the last thing is him thinking he can get free treats from random people he meets."

"Come over and stand at my side Wher Candidate Feraliss," Inggharudube directed. He waited till Feraliss joined him then he pointed out the various straps which made up Inggharusk's harness. "I'm sure you've seen riding harnesses before, if not on a Dragon or a Wher than I expect you must have seen them on a Runner. If not, pay attention. If you have, pay attention anyway."

"One thing about Whers, unless you get one who likes to pull pranks or is just a smart ass, that's different from Runners is they aren't likely to suck in all the air they can into their lungs while you're tightening the girth strap. On Runners you got to give them a good punch to ensure they exhale so you can tighten it up properly. Otherwise when they exhale, your saddle's going to slide right around their torso. Whers on the other hand, are smart enough to cooperate. Doesn't hurt to double check, just in case you got a prick."

"Once that is good and tight, make sure it's not too tight, you don't want to make your Wher uncomfortable either. He won't like that in the long run so best check with him that all's lying well. It will take a bit of adjusting when the harness first goes on but your Wherlingmasters will explain all that. For now just watch what I do and if you have any questions let me know."

Ember

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Feraliss chuckled at the response he received from the bronze, and would have responded, but his handler got there first. "Oh, I understand a glutton when I meet one, sir. The thing on my shoulder tends to be one if I allow it." Astral gave an indignant chirp because he knew he was being spoken of and didn't quite appreciate what he was hearing, Feraliss gave him a pat and assured him mentally it was just a tease.

He made his way over to Inggharudube and listened carefully. Thankfully, he understood the concept behind harnessing a runner, so what he was saying about tending to one made complete sense, and made him grin as it was explained because he knew the truth behind it. He could remember how frustrated some of the beast would make some of the men in the camp over the Turns, especially the more stubborn creatures. His prick of a father's own stallion had been like that....

His hand tightened against his leg slightly and he had to shift his feet and refocus his gaze to return his attention to what was being said to get back into it. Before his mind drifted off completely, that is. Thankfully he didn't miss much of what was being said, and gathered more than missing very much at all. "Of course I'll let you know, sir. For now, I think I'm just eager to see what it looks like harnessing up a wher. This will be a learning experience for me."

LdyPayne

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Inggharudube nodded and began showing the way to properly set and tighten the riding harness on a Wher. Because of their bulk and placement of the wings there was some distinct differences in how the leathers had to be placed compared to a Runner or even a dragon but overall it wasn't much different He showed how tight to make the girth strap and other areas and how to check to make sure it's not too tight. Inggharusk shifted through the procedure, getting bored with the lesson. He was ready to run and get on with the night's tasks. He knew better to give his Handler a hard time by making the simple task more difficult but it was mostly his own desire to get it over with that kept the bronze still.

"There you go, that's how to harness a Wher," Inggharudube finished. "Care to come along for a ride? It's my day off and my plan was to head out into the jungle and let Inggharusk hunt. It'll be a good learning experience for you, if you have the night free that is."

Ember

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 am

It wasn't the most eye opening learning experience, but it was one that he wasn't likely to forget, thanks to how similar it was to harnessing a runner. He noted the similarities, and too notice of how different it was at the same time. There are touches that he might forget, he knew, but if he went to his room in the barracks when it was time to retire and sketched things out, then he was less likely to lose out on the details. Not only that, but he was certain he would get the chance to see this happen again between now and the next hatching, which made it even less of a pressing matter to recall. Even so, he wasn't likely to let it slip on purpose, but it wasn't something that he was going to force himself to remember when there were so many other matters concerning whers to remember.

"Doesn't look all that difficult at all. Or that different from tending to a runner beast. Though Inggharusk looks quite bored, sir, if you don't mind me saying. So if I can take you up on that ride, I wouldn't mind the chance to see him in his glory, or at least partially in it." He didn't know if he'd be able to see the bronze hunt, or if that would be something that would take place away from them, but either way, just for the chance to see the beast run a bit would be worth it. "And so you know, I'm free. Only chores I have left are ones that don't need to be done until just before bed."