Takin' Meself Oot fur a Good Auld Run - Parker | Zayn(a)

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 pm

Warning for Language

If Sigoryn had heard the thought that passed through Zayna's mind of calling the man a twat, the runner would have laughed outright. Only a proper Fortrian would have the audacity call another person a twat. It was the only good insult that came out of Fort, that and calling someone a cunt, though they did that in Ruatha too. Oh, and wanker. Shards did Sigoryn love that word, and over the turns, she had come to adopt that wanker and wank, along with the twattish term, into her own ever-increasing diction of insults. Sometimes the world needed someone to tell it the brutally honest truth of what was what, and Sigoryn wanted to think she had the vocabulary to do so with gusto.

"Oh, I don't know what I'd do with myself without it. I love being in the archives....which is probably why my skin is so pale."

"Ye need tae get oot more," she replied with a chuckle, though even she understood the pain of the sun's rays. While the people in her family always ran on the darker side with a tinge of the ginge, they still needed to exercise extreme caution with the sun, for dark skin did not necessarily equate to solar immunity. How many times had Sigoryn felt the stinging kiss of the sun on her shoulders after a hard summer run? Living so far north, she was thankful for those cloudy days that shielded her from the brunt of the sun's affections. Down in the south, however, she had not been as fortunate. Now, she always made sure to carry a salve with her on her runs, and smear it on every part of her that the sunny rays might touch.

"Thank you. I am very excited, honestly. I never came here expecting to become a candidate. Is that why you came here?"

"Emm... well, it's a wee bit complicated on account that A got sent south tae the seahold, an' A didn't really like it much. When A got searched, it was me chance tae get away from there. Sure A love the thought o' become a dragonrider, but it wasn't me only reason. A just didn't want tae be at the seahold anymore."

Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 pm

"Ye need tae get oot more,"

Zayna gave a small shrug of her shoulders. "Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't kill me to get out a bit more. Maybe see if this pale skin of mine can darken up and tan any." She would probably look pretty good with a tan, at least she supposed she would. Wasn't that always the case? At least the way she'd heard it, people preferred others with nicely tan skin. Not the wraith-like white that her skin could be. "Though, I don't believe I will be trying to run down walls or anything like that. I don't have a death wish." She clarified. She'd leave that more extreme stuff to Sigi.

She listened politely as Sigi explained to her how it was she ended up down here. "Southern Seahold? I was there for a brief period when I first came south, but I can't say that I stayed long before heading on for the weyr." Zayna didn't have much to say about the seahold, really. She hadn't been there long enough to have an opinion. "Well, if the seahold wasn't for you, then it wasn't for you. Glad something came along for you to get out of there if that is what you wanted. Plus, now we get to be candidates together." Zayna said with some excitement.

Once inside the dining hall, she found them a place to sit up at the bar. "What would you like to drink? It's on me. Sorry I can't get us something better...like whisky." Zayna apologized to her. The barkeep came up to them then and awaited for their order.

Image x4 - counted
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:59 am

"Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't kill me to get out a bit more. Maybe see if this pale skin of mine can darken up and tan any. Though, I don't believe I will be trying to run down walls or anything like that. I don't have a death wish."

Sigoryn gave a hearty chuckle in turn. "Aye, but it ain't that bad, ye know. Once ye know what ye doin', it's quite fun scampering aboot like that. It makes ye think, an' makes ye quick." After turns of running, Sigoryn liked to think she knew what she was doing when she came down the cliff side. Sure she might not be able to climb it, but she knew how to run down it as well as any sure-footed mountain goat.

As they continued their walk for the dining hall, Zayna continued, "Southern Seahold? I was there for a brief period when I first came south, but I can't say that I stayed long before heading on for the weyr. Well, if the seahold wasn't for you, then it wasn't for you. Glad something came along for you to get out of there if that is what you wanted. Plus, now we get to be candidates together."

"Aye, an' it'll be nice tae have a friend again. Don't really have many left where A come from-" Not since the fire, but Sigoryn did not want to talk about that. Wanting to think of happier things, she quickly refocused the topic "- An' we have a hatchin' comin' up. A hope we get a chance tae Impress tae them wee babes. A have ne'er stood afore." The very prospect of her first Hatching filled the runner with an excitement she had not experienced in some time. Would she Impress? And if she did, what would it be to? What would it be like?

"What would you like to drink? It's on me. Sorry I can't get us something better...like whisky."

"Emmm... well... A wouldn't want a whisky round here anyway. A don't think ye can trust the south with a good scotch. Best leave that tae the north." Maybe once she Impressed and graduated from the barracks, Sigoryn would make herself a nice cellar like her grandmother used to have. Then she could store anything she wanted, straight out of Ruatha itself. "Emmm... hmmm..." Sigoryn made a glance, and frowned at the fact even wines would be off the table for her. "Well, A guess A can drink a glass o' orange fruit juice. It's a wee shame A can't have anythin' fun in it though." Though known to break the rules from time to time, Sigoryn new better than to break them now. "What aboot ye? What ye gettin'?" There was also the matter of food, but Sigoryn needed to really think of that first before making a decision.

Parker
Site Admin

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 pm

"Aye, but it ain't that bad, ye know. Once ye know what ye doin', it's quite fun scampering aboot like that. It makes ye think, an' makes ye quick."

Zayna shook her head in mock terror. "That may well be, but I am still pretty positive I would end up killing myself trying to learn what I'm doing. I am very impressed that you have that ability, though." There was also a certain level of the want to learn how to get that good at something. Zayna knew that she didn't have the want to learn how to run down buildings. She'd rather spend her day restoring old scrolls.

"Aye, an' it'll be nice tae have a friend again. Don't really have many left where A come from - An' we have a hatchin' comin' up. A hope we get a chance tae Impress tae them wee babes. A have ne'er stood afore."

A solemn and understanding nod was given in answer. "Um, yeah, I know that feeling. My closest friend at the Harper Hall was assigned to a small hold after we both walked the tables. We were both loathe that she had to go, but I understood." Zayna still missed her first girlfriend horribly, but life, as they say, goes on. "Oh, I know. I hope so too. It's a shame we're not on the same side of the barracks. We could sneak into each other's rooms and stay up late talking...or something." Zayna shook her head. "I don't know...that's something friends do right?" She asked...apparently she wasn't so great with this friend thing either.

"They're not too bad. Certainly passable as far as whisky goes. Granted, most of the time they keep the northern bottles here as well.They just cost extra." Zayna explained. "Hmm...I guess I'll just have a cup of klah for now." She ordered. The tender then turned and got them their drink orders. "You hungry? I might get a bite to eat."

Image x2 - counted
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am

To each their own, Sigoryn thought, for she was not about to force anyone to do something they did not want to do. She simply was not the type.

"Um, yeah, I know that feeling. My closest friend at the Harper Hall was assigned to a small hold after we both walked the tables. We were both loathe that she had to go, but I understood. Oh, I know. I hope so too. It's a shame we're not on the same side of the barracks. We could sneak into each other's rooms and stay up late talking...or something. I don't know...that's something friends do right?"

A quizzical look claimed Sigoryn's visage. Wait... what? Why in the world would Zayna be in the other barracks? The runner looked to the individual who wore that lovely dress with such gusto, eyes studying every feature of Zayna now, from the sculpt of her face, to the length of her neck, the line of her shoulders, and the very shape of her conformation. Only under such scrutiny did Sigoryn come to realise that the gender she embraced did not conform to the sex hidden beneath. Yet who was Sigoryn to judge? She would say nothing aloud that questioned Zayna, especially due to the fact the runner knew better than most how it felt when mind and body did not exactly align. Therefore, it was with a shrug that Sigoryn dismissed the revelation altogether, deciding that had no bearing on her interactions with Zayna. Her only concern was that her new friend was being disrespected by being placed on the wrong side of the barracks.

"They're not too bad. Certainly passable as far as whisky goes. Granted, most of the time they keep the northern bottles here as well.They just cost extra. Hmm...I guess I'll just have a cup of klah for now. You hungry? I might get a bite to eat."

"Aye, thinkin' o' gettin' meself a warm meat roll after that run..." Her voice trailed off in thought, thinking once more on that which was revealed and how the barracks handled the matter. "Oye," she called to the bartender. Can we get two meatrolls?" Once she ordered the food, she looked back to her friend. "Ye know... ye shouldn't let them put ye on the other side o' the barracks like that. They should know better, an' it's disrespectful. If ye want me tae say somethin' tae them aboot it, A will. It ain't right tae make ye be with the boys."

Image x10 - counted
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:07 am

"Aye, thinkin' o' gettin' meself a warm meat roll after that run...Oye, Can we get two meatrolls?"

Zayna hadn't realized that what she had said would have been obviously odd to anyone with half a mind. The other side of the barracks clearly meant the boys side of the barracks, but by glance alone she was most certainly female. She had the curves, even if they weren't the most pronounced, she looked dainty, and any masculine attributes weren't so obvious. She didn't even have manly hands. "Mm...that sounds good. Nice call, Sigi." She said with a wide grin as she took a sip of her klah.

"Ye know... ye shouldn't let them put ye on the other side o' the barracks like that. They should know better, an' it's disrespectful. If ye want me tae say somethin' tae them aboot it, A will. It ain't right tae make ye be with the boys."

Sigi's comment caught her off guard and confused her at first. Her eyes shifted back in forth as she tried to figure out where that comment had come from, but then she remembered what she had said. "Oh...whoops...or not whoops really. No, it's alright...I mean it isn't completely alright, but I'm dealing with it." She realized that she was rambling so she stopped for a moment to get her thoughts in order. "I don't normally tell people I first meet, but I don't mind talking to you about it." She gave a small chuckle. "I guess I sort of outed myself with that other side of the barracks comment. Yeah, I'm biologically a boy, but I don't always feel like a boy. Like today, obviously, I am feeling very feminine. It's...ah...it's...well, it's not really hard to explain, but it isn't the easiest to understand. I feel like I'm both genders. Not at the same time, damn that would be confusing, but I have female spells and male spells. So...it doesn't always bother me to be on that side since I am male, but when I'm feeling more female then yeah...it can be bothersome. Of course...if I was on the female side I'd be in the same situation during the times I'm male." Zayna said with a small shrug.

Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 pm

"Oh...whoops...or not whoops really. No, it's alright...I mean it isn't completely alright, but I'm dealing with it."

What did that mean? Her brow furrowed as a look of disgust crossed her face. No, it was not all right, and Zayna should not have to deal with anything that did not make her comfortable. Not the sort to stand for injustice, Sigoryn had half a mind to walk down to the barracks then and there, and give the Candidatemaster Bellatrix an ear full for how they treated Zayna.

"I don't normally tell people I first meet, but I don't mind talking to you about it."

"Tell me what?" That the masters of the barracks could toss off for ignoring Zayna and humiliating her by placing her in the male barracks. She thought the weyr was supposed to be tolerant about this sort of thing.

"I guess I sort of outed myself with that other side of the barracks comment. Yeah, I'm biologically a boy, but I don't always feel like a boy. Like today, obviously, I am feeling very feminine. It's...ah...it's...well, it's not really hard to explain, but it isn't the easiest to understand. I feel like I'm both genders. Not at the same time, damn that would be confusing, but I have female spells and male spells. So...it doesn't always bother me to be on that side since I am male, but when I'm feeling more female then yeah...it can be bothersome. Of course...if I was on the female side I'd be in the same situation during the times I'm male."

Eyes widened, not out of shock that someone like Zayna could exist in that liminal space, but out of shock that Sigoryn had met someone who shared that liminal space with her. "So... ye both?" Well A be damned... "Really? Me too." How else was she to admit it other than to outright say it? "A mean, ye ain't goin' tae find me e'er in a dress. Ne'er been the sort, but A suppose that's cos A don't always feel... well... like the person me body wants me tae be. So A guess what A am sayin' is... A understand where ye comin' from." They might not entirely be the same, but Sigoryn thought they were damn close in that regard.

Sigoryn might only ever use she and her to identify herself, but that was more for other people than herself. After all, she only used A and Me, Oor and We, which would always apply to her, no matter where the heart of the self wandered. Due to the fact she changed so quick at times, she... he... they... it was all the same to Sigoryn, which meant it all ultimately meant shite to her. Those terms were used to describe her, and each one would always feel inaccurate in some way. Sometimes she felt like one with a touch of the other, she felt like both parts equally, or she felt like nothing at all. Why? She would never know, but she took it day by day, feeling like no one box would ever fit her. In the end, she viewed herself as a person, one who did not define themself by gender or sex, but by character and heart. She might never be woman, she might never be man, but she would always be Sigoryn.

Image x6 - counted
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:20 am

At the look of shock on Sigi's face, Zayna was a bit worried that maybe she had made the wrong decision. Like she had said, she didn't normally tell people she first met. Heck, she didn't tell many people close to her, but here at the weyr she thought things were a bit different. More tolerant. Of course it was naive of her to believe that everyone at the weyr was like that. She didn't want any trouble, of course, so maybe it'd be best to excuse herself.

"So... ye both? Really? Me too. A mean, ye ain't goin' tae find me e'er in a dress. Ne'er been the sort, but A suppose that's cos A don't always feel... well... like the person me body wants me tae be. So A guess what A am sayin' is... A understand where ye comin' from."

Now it was Zayna's turn to be shocked. In all her life she would never have thought that she'd meet someone else that was similar to her. "Wait, are you kidding me? Seriously? You're like me in a way? That is..." For a moment she could just stare and wonder in disbelief. "You have no idea how great it is to meet someone else like me. I always try and be discreet about mysel, because, well...the holds aren't that understanding. I got into it a few times with my adoptive mother before I learned to just...try to hide it, but...well, I like dresses and I'm not exactly the most masculine of males. I don't really even grow facial hair." This was absolutely stunning and amazing. "I think it was fated that we ran into each other today, Sigi. It's...I don't know how to explain it...I guess I just don't feel so alone anymore."
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 pm

The way Zayna responded, the wide eyed shock of being taken completely by surprise, was probably a good thing, or at least that was how Sigoryn saw it.

"Wait, are you kidding me? Seriously? You're like me in a way? That is..."

Arms settled onto the bar table in a crossed fashion, giving Sigoryn a bit of a gruff look. And while lips pressed in all manners of seriousness, the look merely appeared as one of play, for dark eyes danced in amusement. "Aye," the runner answered with the slightest nod that made those ginger coils bounce along her brow.

"You have no idea how great it is to meet someone else like me. I always try and be discreet about myself, because, well...the holds aren't that understanding. I got into it a few times with my adoptive mother before I learned to just...try to hide it, but...well, I like dresses and I'm not exactly the most masculine of males. I don't really even grow facial hair."

"The holds are filled with a bunch of wankers, so A wouldn't think too much aboot what they think. Scruff o' no scruff, ye in a weyr now, an' only fools care aboot other fools." It was one of Sigoryn's favourite sayings, one her mother use to tell her when she worried about the holders. To her mother, holders, especially those of the east, were feeble, hidebound gits. They busied their brains with worries of other people and all the little things they did wrong, pointing out ever little thing that made those other people not so perfect, or less perfect than themselves. In the end though, it was all because they were fools fretting over fools, and all so the fools did not have to fret about themselves. Naturally, this meant Sigoryn considered Zayna's mother to be just as foolish as the rest if she really got herself "up to high doh", as the mountain folk said, over something as innocent as a wee dress.

"I think it was fated that we ran into each other today, Sigi. It's...I don't know how to explain it...I guess I just don't feel so alone anymore."

The runner's gaze softened for the girl. "Aye, A suppose so. Though we're not the only ones. There're other folk in the barracks too like hus. Like Raevin. A mean, maybe he's not the exact same, but... he's close. Maybe ye should talk tae him too." Sigoryn had come to familiarise herself with those in the barracks, learning friend from foe, and while she could not say she knew Raevin well, she could at least say she knew him.
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:27 pm

"The holds are filled with a bunch of wankers, so A wouldn't think too much aboot what they think. Scruff o' no scruff, ye in a weyr now, an' only fools care aboot other fools."

Zayna nodded her head in agreement. "You aren't wrong there, I'm afraid. There are some beautiful and understanding people in the holds, well at least where I grew up, but for the most part you have to be wary of most of them. Certainly of them as a group of people." She worked in the archives. She'd read some of the horror stories that had happened to people that didn't fit the social norm as far as holds were concerned. Especially hundreds of turns ago. It seemed almost, from as far back as she had read, that the holds had gone from being semi-tolerant to not tolerant at all, and now back to being a tiny bit more tolerant. During the darker times, though, the torture and horrors some people endured was simply awful...and generally it was mainly toward those who loved their own gender.

"Aye, A suppose so. Though we're not the only ones. There're other folk in the barracks too like hus. Like Raevin. A mean, maybe he's not the exact same, but... he's close. Maybe ye should talk tae him too."

Her eyes widened even further to find out that they weren't the only ones like the way they are. She was starting to really be thankful that she had decided to come here in search of her father. "Wow, I can't believe this. Not only do I find you, but I find out there is more like us. This is...it's wonderful." She said in obvious awe. "I do believe I remember hearing the name Raevin and I think I recall seeing his name in the archives for the bloodlines of Atricis. Was his father a Weyrleader?" Zayna asked curiously. She'd been curious about the lineage of the weyr and so had gone snooping through the records to trace the leaders back to the beginning of the start of the weyr.
Image Image Image Image