Takin' Meself Oot fur a Good Auld Run - Parker | Zayn(a)

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Late Winter
Late Afternoon
Weyrbowl

Dragon Candidate Sigoryn

Honestly, the Candidate Barracks did not know how to do a good run. After the physical training in the latter half of the day, the Candidate Master set the candidates loose to enjoy some free time around the Weyr before dinner. Sigoryn, however, took it upon herself to continue her run, and set off for the pavilion up above. The zig-zagging path that climbed up the steep face provided her with the challenged she craved, pushing her body to the limit, but she yearned most of all for the sprint back down. Once she reached the peak, she settled on the cliff edge, and dangled her legs over the ledge. She massaged them, assuring herself in the process she still had the strength for the brutal descent she would soon attempt. Eyes traced the stone, sketching her own path back down the rocky face. Where would she jump? Where would she land? Did she have space for a roll? Did she have enough of a ledge? Once she plotted her course to the bottom, she stood to her feet and shook out her form.

A cad uise a good drink efter this, she thought to herself as she started with a light jog down the first leg of the trail. It did not take the runner long to deviate, however, for soon she lept off the ledge, and skipped her way down several rocks to the second stretch of the path. But she did not remain there long, for she began to run down the cliff face itself, using what few ledges and cracks the rocks provided to navigate her way down for the weyr yards. The rocks reminded her faintly of home and the mountain faces she and Edyca use to sprint down. Due to the unfamiliarity of this particular course, the freestyle run down the rock side challenged not only Sigoryn's body, but her mind as well, forcing her to use her problem-solving skills on the fly as she made the dash down.

Tak it easy. Dinna rush lest ye fall... she warned herself when she nearly missed a ledge. Any tumble down the rocky edge would prove fatal. Instead, she exercised caution as she continued her way down. The candidate recovered herself fast enough, and took several steps down the beaten path before deviating once again down the cliff face. Turns of practice had trained her eye, letting her find all the little places that would fit her feet or her fingertips, calculating the distances she knew she could make in a jump, how to catch herself, and when to give herself a hop in recovery before she took on another leg of the steep descent. The ground far below jostled with every jump, every skitter, every slide, but soon she neared the point where the roofs of - Whit are thae? Craft Halls? Handler Cabins? Dinna matter... - were close enough for her to aim her jump. With little effort, Sigoryn made the impressive leap, and rolled across the stiff tiles of the roof when she landed. To her feet, she returned, and with several more hops, she slipped her way down the wall face, catching two window ledges on the way to ease her descent.

Once she felt the dirt of solid ground give ever so slightly underfoot, the broadest grin claimed her, a bright white-toothed one that spoke of the pride of her accomplishment. "Fook ye, ye tall jobbie! A beat ye!" she shouted back to the mountainside. Once more she had proven her prowess to the world.
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm

When Zayna had first come to Atricis she would have never expected that she would be where she was now. Well, she was obviously still at New Atricis, but her position there now was not one she'd ever thought she'd be in. While she had been working in the archives and doing other duties any other normal archivist would do, now she was a candidate. That had been the most unexpected thing to have happened to her since....well, ever really. Though, she supposed that if her father was a rider and had come from riders, then rider blood was in her as well. Still, it was all a bit shocking and exciting.

While she was excited to possibly impress to one of the magnificent dragons, there was some downsides to being a candidate. For one she didn't get to practice her craft as often as she had been. Today for free time she had gone to the craft halls to do some work, though, that she knew still needed to be done. All it was she had to do was finish scripting out the final passage of one book, but it was a book she loved reading which is why she wanted to do it. That hadn't taken long and after that she really didn't feel like going back to the barracks.

She really wanted to go get a drink at the bar. That was another thing about candidacy that irked her...the no drinking. What really irritated her was that she looked extra cute today and she knew it. Her hair was laying perfectly, she'd managed to put on some makeup that really made her eyes pop, and the new dress she was wearing really accentuated her in a feminine way. She bought it as a gift to herself after being searched. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt her to just go to the bar area and order something non-alcoholic.

Zayna was just thinking about that when suddenly there was a person dropping literally in front of her. "Fook ye, ye tall jobbie! A beat ye!" She had stumbled back to avoid being landed on and now stared at the person in dismay. "Hey! Watch where you're...dropping from." She scolded whoever it was. "What on Pern were you doing up there?" She asked curiously then.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 am

For Sigoryn to successfully stay on her toes, she always made sure to watch where she was going. Sure the body appeared out of nowhere, but the runner saw the individual fast enough to deviate her final fall with a bit more of a push off the wall. No harm done.

"Hey! Watch where you're...dropping from."

Of course, Sigoryn was also not the sort to take shit from anyone, regardless of whether or not she was in the right or wrong. If she had actually run into them, then fine, she would have apologised, but that had not been the case. "A missed ye, ye git," she answered back with a taste of spit and vinegar in her words. "So let off."

"What on Pern were you doing up there?"

On one hip, and then the other, Sigoryn placed her fists. Rather than answer the individual immediately, she regarded her path, and then answered with words made more clear for common ears. "A was runnin'," she answered. Even when speaking with clearer words, her accent continued to heavily weigh on her voice. "The barracks do a shite job tryin' tae run us candidates. So A took it 'pon meself tae run a wee bit longer." Thus down the cliffside she descended. The adrenaline continued to pump through her veins as she recovered, but she finally began to settle, calming herself down from earlier. "A'm Sigi. An' who the fuck are ye?" Despite her belligerent choice of words, the temperament of her voice rang with an odd tone of rugged civility.
Parker
Site Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:39 pm

"A missed ye, ye git. So let off."

Zayna furrowed her eyebrows in irritation at the insult. Great, here she had been in a rather good mood and now she was equally as irritated. "I'm not a git and regardless if you missed me, a warning would have been nice....and polite." She bit back in an equal tone.

"A was runnin'. The barracks do a shite job tryin' tae run us candidates. So A took it 'pon meself tae run a wee bit longer."

A look was given up the wall the woman had just descended from. "Last I check, running was done on the ground, not down walls." Zayna wasn't out of shape by any means, but she certainly didn't go out of her way to exercise more than necessary. "Call me a pansy if you want, but I think we get plenty of running in as a candidate." She thought the woman looked familiar. Now she knew where it was she knew her from. Since she hadn't been a candidate all that long herself she didn't really know any of the others.

"A'm Sigi. An' who the fuck are ye?"

Goodness, this woman was dripping with charm, wasn't she? "I'm Zayna. I'm also a candidate, but I haven't been one for very long. You're from....Ruatha?" She asked curiously, though she had a feeling she was right.

F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:42 pm

"I'm not a git and regardless if you missed me, a warning would have been nice....and polite."

Not like Sigoryn had a chance to give warning at the time. It was clear when she made the final leap, but this person decided to walk in the way without looking. Sigoryn would have said as much, putting the person in their place, but brushed it off with a huff. Really, some things were not worth arguing about, especially dumb shite like this.

"Last I check, running was done on the ground, not down walls."

Arms folded across her chest with a hint of pride. "A took a shortcut," the runner answered with a smug grin.

"Call me a pansy if you want, but I think we get plenty of running in as a candidate."

"Fine, ye pansy." The remark was made in jest, and was followed by a warm warble of mirth. "Ye said 'call me a pansy'."

"I'm Zayna. I'm also a candidate, but I haven't been one for very long. You're from....Ruatha?"

"Ye bet ye arse A am. What gave it away? Me charm? Or ye one o' them bastards who thinks all gingers are Ruathan?" Sigoryn chuckled. "A am just messin' with ye. A can be a git meself, but A think that in order tae be a true Ruathan, ye need tae be a right git. What aboot ye? Ye don't sound like ye from the Weyr. Where aboot ye from?" Behind the gruffness of her personality, Sigoryn liked to think she was not all that bad. If anything, she liked to think her honesty was worth more than all those courtesies expected of her in proper society.

Parker
Site Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 pm

"A took a shortcut,"

Zayna looked up the building again and pondered just where it was she had come from before coming down the side of it. "Apparently. That's one brave shortcut. I'd have broke my neck." She stated. Yes, she'd been startled, but she was also rather impressed by the woman's physical prowess.

"Fine, ye pansy. Ye said 'call me a pansy'."

A feigned look of insult swept over her face as she could hear the jest in Sigi's voice. "That I did. At least I'm as pretty as a pansy too, though." Zayna struck a dramatic pose playfully. In all fairness, she did feel very pretty right now.

"Ye bet ye arse A am. What gave it away? Me charm? Or ye one o' them bastards who thinks all gingers are Ruathan? A am just messin' with ye. A can be a git meself, but A think that in order tae be a true Ruathan, ye need tae be a right git. What aboot ye? Ye don't sound like ye from the Weyr. Where aboot ye from?"

Zayna couldn't help but laugh a little. Yes, there was no doubt Sigi wasn't afraid to simply say what she wanted, but she sort of liked it. "No, ah, I was an apprentice with someone from Ruatha who had an accent like yours. He also liked to call me a 'git', so I put two and two together." For the life of her she could not remember what that lad's name was now. "Oh, I'm from Hold Gar. Fort territory." She answered. "I was just getting ready to head to the dining hall to get a boring drink. If you're done taking shortcuts and running, you're welcome to join me."

Image x1 -counted
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:18 pm

"That I did. At least I'm as pretty as a pansy too, though."

While Sigoryn was not the sort to be forthcoming about such things, she had no shame in quietly agreeing. Yes, she was pretty, possessing the sort of delicacy that Sigoryn herself often found herself lacking. But was it really lacking when she simply knew herself not to be the delicate type? They called her boyish back in Beinn and Alba, noting her demeanour and attire, yet though they said it in jest, Sigoryn had come to realise there was a truth to their remarks, for maybe boyish was a better way to describe herself.

"No, ah, I was an apprentice with someone from Ruatha who had an accent like yours. He also liked to call me a 'git', so I put two and two together."

The runner laughed. "Ye know, we also say it as a term o' endearment. Maybe he liked ye." To be fair, though, "git" was used not only in part of Ruatha, but also in parts of Fort and Tillek as well. It was a common word among common folk.

"Oh, I'm from Hold Gar. Fort territory."

Sigoryn had heard of Hold Gar, but she had never been there. Still, she gave a nod of understanding, accompanied by a casual "Oh" of acknowledgement. It was one of those sounds people made to fill in the gaps of conversation while helping it along.

"I was just getting ready to head to the dining hall to get a boring drink. If you're done taking shortcuts and running, you're welcome to join me."

Maybe that was a good idea. Sigoryn took a glance of the wall she had scaled down, and realised that her body begged for drink and food now. Water was fine enough, though she missed a nice dram of whisky in the evening after a hearty meal. She doubted she would find a nice spirit like that down in the dining halls, and then, of course, there was the matter of whether or not they would have let her drink it anyways. "Aye, guess that sounds good. A am a wee bit parched after that run, an' A could go fur some good food too." She motioned for her fellow candidate to lead the way. "A don't remember seein' ye in the barracks afore. Ye new?"

Parker
Site Admin

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:34 pm

"Ye know, we also say it as a term o' endearment. Maybe he liked ye."

Zayna chuckled and shook her head. "I guess that makes it a little better, but no...he didn't like me. He wasn't into..." She almost said men, but stopped herself. While she was in no way ashamed or embarrassed by her dual gender, it wasn't a topic she normally brought up when first meeting someone new. "He wasn't into me. I think he was too jealous of the fact I was better than him in most of our lessons."

"Aye, guess that sounds good. A am a wee bit parched after that run, an' A could go fur some good food too. A don't remember seein' ye in the barracks afore. Ye new?"

"Wonderful." Zayna said and then began to lead them towards the dining hall. Shards, she wished she could sneak a bit of whisky, but she was too much of a rule follower to do that. Plus, the fear of getting in trouble to the point she wouldn't be able to stand was enough to keep her honest. "Um..yes and no. I'm new to candidacy, but I've been at the weyr for a little bit." She answered her. Of course, the other reason she probably hadn't seen her in the barracks much is because her room was on the boys side. Zayna really didn't care for the fact that the barracks were separated by gender as it made for some awkward and uncomfortable moments for her. "I'm an archivist, so most of my time before candidacy was spent in the archives." She went on to explain.

Image x7
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

"I guess that makes it a little better, but no...he didn't like me. He wasn't into..."

Had Zanya finished her thought, while Sigoryn would have been quite surprised, she also would not have judged. After all, who was she to say how men and women should present themselves when she herself failed to conform to such ideals. Hell, she hardly felt woman at all half of the time. She honestly did not feel like anything at all if she were truly honest with herself.

"He wasn't into me. I think he was too jealous of the fact I was better than him in most of our lessons."

"Well, his loss than. Not all men can't help the fact they're a bunch o' insecure bawbag." That was how Sigoryn would interpret the story, only because she had lived it several times herself. As she followed the fellow candidate into the dining hall, she listened curiously to what which Zayna said.

"Um..yes and no. I'm new to candidacy, but I've been at the weyr for a little bit. I'm an archivist, so most of my time before candidacy was spent in the archives."

"Huh," answered the runner. "A ain't been down tae the archives yet. Then again, A don't think A would know what tae dae with meself down there." Sure she could read, but she did not do it out of curiosity or desire; she did so out of necessity. "Well, A am glad yer joinin' us in the barracks." Sure it made Zayna competition in a way, but if a dragon really wanted Sigoryn, they would chose her regardless of whether or not Zayna stood at her side.

Parker
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

"Well, his loss than. Not all men can't help the fact they're a bunch o' insecure bawbag."

Zayna smiled brightly and chuckled. She liked to think it was his loss, regardless of what her biological body was like. Still, she had done much better for himself than that twat. Taylnn had been everything and more that she could have possibly wanted in a girlfriend. How she missed her still, but she would never regret the time they had together. "No, not all of them can help that. Though really, they should maybe try to."

The dining hall was busy, but not too packed. Still, there was likely too many people for her to steal a glass or two of some fine whisky. Hell, even some bad whisky would be great right then. Zayna wasn't a drinker, but she enjoyed it enough to miss it. She was sure if she talked to her father he'd happily let her sneak a glass with him...maybe. They were still getting to know each other, but she had a feeling he would be keen in letting her bend the rules a little.

"A ain't been down tae the archives yet. Then again, A don't think A would know what tae dae with meself down there. Well, A am glad yer joinin' us in the barracks."

"Oh, I don't know what I'd do with myself without it. I love being in the archives....which is probably why my skin is so pale." She said. Her complexion was rather fair. During the summer she'd rather stay in where she didn't burn and hurt from being out in the sun too long. "Thank you. I am very excited, honestly. I never came here expecting to become a candidate. Is that why you came here?" She asked curiously.
Image Image Image Image