Comfort of the Heart, Solution of the Mind - Jora | Parker

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Turn - Mid Summer 2041
This is fuzzy timed to the evening of the 52nd dragon hatching feast. The following posts regarding Revanne and J'lek cover the series of events that led to their departure, and beyond. This is their story.

Though Revanne bothered to dress for the feast, she could not bring herself to go; she could not face the abrasive merriment that echoed in the dining hall. The tunes of laughter and music and the state of her heart sung in discord with one another, souring her even further the closer she stepped towards the dining hall. Once at the doorway, the brownrider turned away, for she realised she had heard quite enough for one night. Leave them to their joy, and she would wallow in her sorrow.

With her heels removed, Revanne crossed the weyr yards with bare feet, and managed to find some solace in the feel of the cool blades of grass that cushioned every step. The air carried a heaviness to it, but Revanne had found herself accustomed to it by now, though make no mistake... she longed for a cold Benden Winter. For the meantime, however, she appreciated the summer that the south provided her with. With every step she made, the grass began to twinkle with the coming twilight, giving way to small fire bugs that slowly began to drift in the sky waning. Of course, Morgan attempted to make a snack of the little insects as they began to awaken. It seemed their flickers of life were too much for the fancy flit to ignore. Once she caught the first, Revanne gave a shake of her head.

"I really don't think you want to eat those, Morgan."

Rather than heed Revanne's wisdom, the garnet caught a second. Of course she would, but that was the problem was it not? People would do what they would, like Lorcan at the recent hatching. The way he reacted was abhorrent to the brownrider, and for all she cared about him, she could not condone his behaviour. To treat a hatchling with such abuse spoke vehemently about his toxic nature, and Revanne could not allow herself to be apart of that. She also could not bring herself to leave him either, not when his Impression remained tenuous at best... at least not for now. Given a few days, she would break the news to him of their separation, as well as her pending departure from New Atricis. For tonight, however, Revanne took this time to herself to collect herself and her future.

I know you liked him, but it is for the best, Morath assured her. Revanne looked ahead to spot her brown awaiting her by the weyr lake. Even in the dying sunlight, his mottled hide managed to caught enough colour to distinguish him as a large brown.

As she approached, he spread himself out onto the grass, and offered his belly and hindleg to her as the perfect seat. With a loving look up to the brown, she moved around the bulk of his chest, patting him lovingly along the way, and settled into the offered seat. Here, Revanne managed to enjoy one of the most spectacular views of the weyr. The light of the sun still glowed like fire on the horizon, but the skies were painted with the cool blues and purples of the waxing evening. The lake, as still as glass near the shorelines, mirrored what light remained, and all around her the blinking lights of the summer fire bugs shimmered all around her.

"Faranth, I think I'm actually going to miss this place, Morath."
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Jora had dressed up nicely and headed to the Feast. After all he hardly ever passed up on attending them. What wasn't to love? The food was always delicious, the music was lively, and generally everyone was in a good mood. Yes, there were disappointed faces from those that were left standing, but even most of them managed to find some joy in the celebration. However, this time he did not stay at the festivities very long. There was one person who was looking for in particular at the feast and she hadn't been any where to be found in the dining hall.

He knew that the hatching had taken a toll on Reva. Anyone that had been there to witness it had been shocked at the actions of one of the stands impressions. Jora, knew that Reva was very close to Lorcan. To see the man refuse the bond of a dragon...well, it was enough to make any rider furious and confused. How could anyone not want to be bonded to a dragon? Most dreamed of it their entire lives only to never see that dream come true. Jora didn't know the man, didn't really care to know him especially now, but something had to be very wrong with him to try and reject a bond made. Thank Faranth things hadn't gone as bad as they could have, but still the damage was done.

Jora asked Kiandath if he could find out where Reva was for him. It took a moment, but finally the bronze showed him exactly where she was so he made his way there.

"Faranth, I think I'm actually going to miss this place, Morath."

"Planning on leaving? I hope you were at least going to say goodbye to an old friend." Jora said as he walked up behind her. The fact she was going to leave did not surprise him for some reason.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:37 am

"Planning on leaving? I hope you were at least going to say goodbye to an old friend."

With Lorcan on the mind, Revanne was startled by the opening words, for she feared that it was Lorcan who spoke. However, when dual coloured eyes shot to the source, she was relieved to see J'lek in his place. Of course, the bronzerider could be counted to hear her words she had hoped were said in secret, thus when he drew attention to her words of departure, Revanne could not help but roll her eyes with a deep sigh. Though, really... could she blame J'lek for his quick wit over someone so simple and obvious? After the scene on the hatching sands, Revanna was left distraught and torn.

How could Lorcan treat a hatchling like that? A hatchling! The man's rejection of the blue, as well as his heated and bitter acceptance of the dragon, was as horrific as watching someone shake a baby, which would shake Revanne for the turns to come. It was a response that warned the brownrider of just what the man was capable of. There was a difference between rough around the edges, and outright abusive. After watching the events unfold on the sands, Revanne knew Lorcan fell in the latter category.

Rather than answer J'lek outright, the woman leaned back into her seat against Morath. "Please don't tell me you're here to say 'I told you so'," she replied dryly. "I have two eyes, and I definitely have two ears... so I think I know better now than you ever did about what kind of man he is."

Her eyes blankly caught sight of one of the fire bugs, but before she could focus on it, its light went out.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:48 am

Jora took a seat on the grass not far from her and her brown. He wrapped his arms around his knees and stared out at the scene. New Atricis really was a beautiful place. In his short life he had known three different places as home. First was Benden, a place that would always feel like home to him. Then, the old Atricis. Thinking about the way that beautiful place had fallen apart always made him sad. Now New Atricis. For all the places he had lived, though, he knew that home was where the heart was and his heart would always be with the ones he loved.

"Please don't tell me you're here to say 'I told you so'," she replied dryly. "I have two eyes, and I definitely have two ears... so I think I know better now than you ever did about what kind of man he is."

He turned and gave her a genuine look of empathy. "No, of course, I'm not here to tell you that. I'm a bastard, but I'm not that much of a dick." There was a time and a place to say 'I told you so', but it was never during a situation like this. Jora reached into a pocket and pulled out his tin of smokes. He put one in his mouth and then offered one to Reva. "I'm not even going to pretend to know what sort of issues a person has to have to yell at a baby dragon like that, but he obviously has some serious demons." He lit the smokes as he paused a moment in thought. "Hey...I am sorry, Reva. I know you liked him, but I like to think I know you well enough to know that he's burned his bridge."
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Car'vis and Corentivis | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am

"No, of course, I'm not here to tell you that. I'm a bastard, but I'm not that much of a dick."

Eyes flashed back to him in suspicious, only for the purse of her lips to give way to a smirk of amusement. At least she still knew how to smile. As she waved off his offer of a smoke, Revanne readied her tongue to expanded on his dickishness, and how she had heard otherwise from the girls of the weyr, but the conversation returned to the darker matter at hand: Lorcan.

"I'm not even going to pretend to know what sort of issues a person has to have to yell at a baby dragon like that, but he obviously has some serious demons."

The brownrider did not immediately answer. Instead, she watched the waning sunlight and the sparks of more fire bugs summoned by the coming night; they flared up all around them now. "That night in the dining hall when you were really digging into him, Faranth I thought you were being such an ass." She made an apologetic glance at J'lek, and even offered him a wry smile before she turned back to the lake. "I had finally drawn the line with you, found someone I genuinely thought was a great guy, and honestly, I thought your protectiveness stemmed from some sort of messed up form of jealousy over the fact I'd moved on... which of course pissed me off to no end because I had given you so many chances-" Their first game of poker, their night on a whiskey binge, their night swim, and their countless nights staying up to talk about everything and nothing, but J'lek never actually wanted her, or at least never in the way Revanne had approved of. I'm not a one night stand, Jora, she told him repeatedly when the heat of temptation was most poignant, and every time, her words dumped on him like a bucket of ice water "- But it never dawned on me you were actually right about him not being right for me, that I could do better. I thought he was better, but I guess I thought wrong."

She felt a moistness in her eyes, but quickly wiped away the evidence before the tears could make themselves more apparent. In an attempt to lighten the mood, and forget the fact she was upset, she tried to make light of the situation, "Shards, even Morath hates Lorcan, though to be fair, Morath hates anything and everyone that doesn't have a vagina."
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:55 pm

"That night in the dining hall when you were really digging into him, Faranth I thought you were being such an ass."

Jora took a deep inhale of his smoke and let the smoke blow out slowly and smoothly. It took him a remember to remember the specific night she spoke of, but a look of rememberance swept over his face when he did. "I was being an ass." He stated and then took another drag before continuing. "That doesn't mean what I said was wrong." He knew Lorcan's type. Fuck, if he allowed himself to be it was possible he could act very similar to the man. He simply didn't let things get to him to make him as bitter as the new bluerider was.

"Believe it or not, it wasn't just me being jealous. Regardless of the several times we've been almost more than friends, you've been a friend of mine for many turns, so yes...I'm going to be protective." That was true....and it wasn't true. Jora was jealous. Faranth help him, but he was. He wasn't going to admit that out loud. After all, she had given him plenty of chances, but after everything he'd gone through with Rivany, then with Safryn, he knew he hadn't been in a place to be a the sort of boyfriend she deserved.

"To be fair, I think just about anyone isn't good enough for you. I know this sucks now, but you will get through it...and who knows...maybe sooner rather than later Mr. Right will come stumbling onto your doorstep." Deep down there was a part of him that yelled at himself that it could be him. If he'd simply pull his head out of his ass long enough to realize that while playing the field was fun, it wasn't nearly as fulfilling as truly loving another soul.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 pm

"Believe it or not, it wasn't just me being jealous. Regardless of the several times we've been almost more than friends, you've been a friend of mine for many turns, so yes...I'm going to be protective."

Part of the brownrider wanted to over analyse his words, to read into his remark of "...wasn't just me being jealous" as some sort of confession, but in truth, she knew it was not. And for all Revanne wanted to call him out on it, to say bullshit, she did not have the will to do so when she had moved on and lost before she truly understood what she even had.

Revanne had genuinely cared about Lorcan.

The day he had gone down to see her in the infirmary to ask her out, Revanne easily recalled those feelings of elation that uplifted her over the fact the man had gone out of his way to see her, to be with her, and to be such a gentleman. And the date had been so perfect! He looked so handsome in his vest, and she could tell by the look in his eyes that he thought she was sexy in turn. She liked the way he treated her, and revelled in how he made her feel. Lorcan had become special to her, someone worth waiting for, but before she ever got the chance to tell him how she felt, or steal that kiss that had haunted her dreams, his true nature revealed itself to her.

"To be fair, I think just about anyone isn't good enough for you. I know this sucks now, but you will get through it...and who knows...maybe sooner rather than later Mr. Right will come stumbling onto your doorstep."

Lips pressed in an attempt to hold back the tears, but the memories of Lorcan and the strong connection they shared began to overwhelm her. He made her feel alive and wanted as though she was worth the effort. Every smile he gave her was a gift to Revanne, every moment of laughter meant to be cherished. How could someone like him be so cruel and vindictive? Had she said something wrong? Maybe it was her. In her attempt to respond to J'lek, her lips began to quiver. She could withstand it no more."But I wanted it to be him!" she finally managed to confess with such vehemence that shocked even herself. With the confession, the woman broke down, sobbing to herself, allowing the truth of it to finally sink in. Faranth, had she not cried enough over him?

Morath craned his head around to nuzzle her in comfort. He is not worth your tears, Reva. Don't waste them on him.

Mora... I think I love him... Why else would the idea of leaving Lorcan cut her so deep?

The thought concerned the brown, and for the first time he reached out to the man he had thought he loathed the most, J'lek. How many times had the man frustrated Revanne to no end, making her feel worthless time and time again with his dismissals and disinterest? Now, there was one man in the world he actually hated more than J'lek himself. For once in your life, be the friend to her that she actually deserves, the brown growled to him. Part of Morath believed she would not have been in this mess had it not been for the bronzerider's sheer stupidity as a man. The other part of the brown was desperate enough to do anything to help her stop crying.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:28 pm

"But I wanted it to be him!"

As soon as the sobs began Jora was throwing down his smoked and moving to sit next to her. He heard Morath's words, but didn't acknowledge them. They stung a little as he knew they were true. Yes, he was Reva's friend, but the brown was right, he needed to be the one she deserved to have right now. Any of his personal feelings and past regrets were not important. All that was important was comforting her. He put an arm around her and pulled her against him while saying soft words of comfort.

"Hey...I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Reva." Jora said as he placed a kiss on the top of her head. "That was insensitive of me." A hand stroked through her dark hair. "I could spiel off the old cliche sayings for situations like this, but they really don't help. Not even saying 'time heals all wounds'. That might be true, but time is a lazy son of a bitch." Sadly there was no easy fix to heartache.

"Cry all you need to, sweetie. I'm here for you. You can tell me anything and talk all you want. I wish there was something I could say or do that could make it easier or better, but there isn't. This just...well, it sucks." Jora had no idea if he was helping or not, but he was being genuine. "You cared for him, deeply, and he hurt you. There's no excuse for it. But I know you, Reva. I know how strong you are. You'll get through this and I'll be with you every step of the way if you want me to." He truly meant that. The sense of 'losing' her had made him realize just what it was he had turned away so many times like a fool. He didn't think now was the time to tell her that. To him it would seem as though he was trying to move in when she was vulnerable and that was not the case, but he wanted her to know that he was there for her now and only her telling him to go away would make him do so.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Drowned in mourning for lost love, Revanne did not realise J'lek had decided to move to her side until his arm wrapped around her to draw her close against his side. The brownrider did not have the strength to resist. She even yearned for comfort he dared to offer, for her heart had become parched from the recent neglect.

"Hey...I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Reva."

Despite his kiss, she was too frazzled to recognise the tender gesture. Instead, she clung to his tunic as she sobbed against him. On the opposite side of Revanne, Morgan landed and nuzzled against her mistress. Even her, Revanne could not feel, not when her sorrows overwhelmed her. Yet she did manage to hear J'lek as he rumbled his comforting words her, while Morath was a steady presence in her mind.

As he spoke of time being a bastard, yet a necessity, Revanne thought back on her life and her choice to come to New Atricis. She loved Morath with all her life, so she could never regret her choice to transfer to the Weyr. However, after Turns apart from her family back in Benden, and for all she loved her brother V'an, Revanne was beginning to realise she should have returned north sooner than she had decided. She missed E'von and his antics, the guidance of her aunt Shiak, and the warming presence of her uncle G'lend. Above all, however, she missed her twin. At the time, she knew she had hurt Novandra with her decision to leave for New Atricis. Maybe it was finally time to return to her family, and return to her sister.

"You cared for him, deeply, and he hurt you. There's no excuse for it. But I know you, Reva. I know how strong you are. You'll get through this and I'll be with you every step of the way if you want me to."

Her tears had calmed, giving Revanne the chance to finally speak for herself. She lifted herself off J'lek to regard the man, only to sadly reply, "I'm going back to Benden, Jora." It was time. The incident with Lorcan had proven as much to Revanne.
Last edited by Shaihulud on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Jora was content to just hold her and rock her as she sobbed into his chest. Both of his arms wrapped around her to try and comfort her, assure her that it was going to be alright...even if it didn't seem it. He remained silent with her besides the few words and noises to help comfort. Seeing his friend this tore up...and over a man that didn't deserve the tears...clawed at his own heart. For all he liked to portray the tough guy, the sort of man that wasn't susceptible to emotion, he couldn't help but feel heartbroken for her.

"I'm going back to Benden, Jora."

The bronzerider was not surprised by this. He also couldn't blame her. Jora nodded his head solemnly at her comment, but already he had made up his mind about something and he wasn't the sort that generally had his mind changed. "I said I was going to stick by your side and I mean it." Jora said with conviction, hoping that she knew he meant that he would go with her. "That is...of course...if you will allow me to." If she didn't want him to then she didn't. He would be sad, but he would honor her wishes.
Image Image Image Image