Wher play - Open

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ainokesshou

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 am

Natara sighed. "I've completely given up on any real training for them," she said. "They do their business outside, and they submit to me and Atumra." She shrugged. "I'm probably SUPPOSED to want them to be fierce protectors, but if I wanted everything I was SUPPOSED to want, I'd be some crafter's wife in the Smith Hall, maybe playing a bit with making jewelry, and raising a houseful of brats." She wrinkled her nose. Children were tolerable, if she ever accidentally ended up with one, she'd manage ok, mostly because the kid would spend a fair amount of time in the creche.

Admittedly, it had never occurred to her to get someone to help her train the canines. Or a fancy flitt. How would that even work? "Doesn't the training have to come from the person giving the orders," she asked. "I mean, if I get a fancy flitt, and it's trained to obey you, but ignores me, that's not much better than no training at all."

She nodded along with Shyran's comment about wanting to kill those felines. Even before the organized attacks, Atumra had harbored a healthy dislike for large cats, since an injury from one of the other varieties that predated their bonding. After the rogues and felines began targeting the Weyr, Natara had begun to hate them as much as her bondmate, and she couldn't say that had changed. It was good that Shyran had not done anything stupid when her friend's wher was killed, though. Even the wherhandlers who were more skilled fighters had suffered losses, and Shyran was not a warrior.

"I probably would have been pretty calm about killing any of them," she agreed, "though maybe I would have been upset about it later. And clearly, that was an example of a time when it is useful to capture instead of kill. We know a lot more about them than we would have if the handlers that encountered them had just killed the entire group."
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Shyran gave her head a shake and chuckled lightly. "Ideally it should be the one the firelizard is bonded to doing the training but it is possible for somebody else to do so. The owner does have to be there and need to be able to at least project her need to have the firelizard obey the trainer."

"Basically, how I would do it is first get to know the flitter. I would start being there during feedings, start offering food as well with the owner's encouragement. Establish a trust between me and the firelizard. I would work from there, partly showing the owner what methods to use, training them in some aspects on the right way to train a firelizard and how to adopt one's methods as not all firelizards respond to the same 'rewards' for doing a task. Most are very food oriented but some, especially older firelzards tend to respond better with praise and feelings of love." Shyran hadn't trained many firelizards belonging to other people but she helped her parents do it for many Turns so knew the process. She also knew that it was not really the firelizards they were training in many cases. "More times than not it'll be more teaching the owner how to train their firelizard especially with first time owners."

"I also have my own firelizards well trained and sometimes learning by example is the best way to go, they will explain to the trainee what needs to be done. In that way having one or two well trained firelizards makes it all the more easier to train any additional firelizards one may acquire over time."

"Yes, I have to agree capturing was more beneficial too," Shyran agreed. "I just hope we have seen the last of those felines and their sick minded handlers."
Ainokesshou

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:28 am

Of course it depended on the flitt's personality. Natara knew from her own canines that humans weren't the only ones with quirks and preferences, and that it was an extremely difficult struggle to get an animal to act against its personality. But as long as it wasn't completely contrary to the canine's personality, well her pups hadn't been born able to chase off rodents and other vermin. But since they weren't scared of small pests, teaching them to do it had been about rewarding them. And one preferred play as a reward, the other preferred praise and affection.

But nothing and no one could get those two girls to challenge anything large enough to be a threat.

"I don't think I could handle so many flitts or lizards, especially with my pups," Natara said, in response to Shyran's comment about a large fair making it easy to train, "though it was easier to train the two of them together, I'll admit. Annie was more reluctant to learn basic commands until her sister learned them and got rewarded in front of her."

She shook her head firmly then. "Even if we haven't seen the last of those felines and rogues," she said, "we know what we are dealing with now. I think on some level we kept underestimating them, both because we didn't know how large they were, and we didn't know they had human intelligence directing their behavior. We won't make those mistakes again."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 pm

"A fair can be as small as just two firelizards, no need to get as many as I have." Shyran smiled. "I grew up around fancy flits since my parents were breeders and run a pet supply shop in Walled. Being around so many flits and working with them for so long, its far easier for me to handle the numbers I have than it will be for most people."

Shyran glanced towards her Wher who was watching the interactions of a couple other Daywhers not too far away. She didn't sense any worry or concern from Pacaran so turned her attention back to Natara. "There was a time Pacaran and I wondered if the Felines were intelligent enough to negotiate with but since they always attacked first and never made any attempt to communicate from the reports I read about the attacks, there was no way to find out without being in danger. To know humans trained and controlled those Felines to attack our patrols and the night Whers Patrols too. It's simply horrible. Those Felines probably would have stayed away and never caused us any trouble if it wasn't for those Rogues."

"I probably should get going, Atumra may be worn out but Pacaran needs his exercise now. Besides I am sure you want to hit the bathing cavern and get all that mud off of you," Shyran grinned. "It was a pleasure talking to you Natara, we should definitely do something together later, maybe grab a drink or something?"

ooc: I think we can wrap this up on your reply.
Ainokesshou

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:44 am

Natara smiled ruefully. She supposed that your parents' crafts were destined to end up part of your life even if you didn't pursue them yourself. Of course, she had copied her own father right down to the specialization in weapons as a smith. "That makes sense," she said, "even children who don't apprentice to their parents' crafts tend to absorb quite a bit of information."

Natara supposed it made sense that Shyran and Pacaran had wanted to negotiate with the felines. It was their very nature after all, and if the big cats had genuinely possessed human intelligence of their own, it would have been a reasonable idea. The human rogues had not been worth negotiating with, of course, since there was no room for diplomacy with a group that set out to commit murder instead of communicating. She still didn't know if they had even wanted anything from the Weyr, or just enjoyed killing.

"I do need a bath," she acknowledged, looking down at herself with a smile, "and so does Atumra. " She didn't even bother wiping herself down, knowing that there was no point, though she looked off toward her own apartment. "I suppose a flitt would come in handy now, if I could send it to get clean clothes," she mused. Then she grinned at Shyran, through the mud and sweat, "I'd love to share a drink with you sometime when I'm not a mess," she agreed, before heading back to get something to wear after a dip in the lake and a hopefully hot bath.
FIN
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage