Wher play - Open

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ainokesshou

Sun May 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Atumra's strutting was becoming unbearable. Yes, she knew that he had caught Dolcekil, that he had sired a clutch, and she had heard quite a bit from him about how it would be an enormous clutch, and every day wher in it would be strong, and quick, and clever, and....

Basically, he was a proud papa without even an egg yet to croon over. So Natara was hearing every bit of it. At least he knew better than to bother Dolcekil with his boasting. But SHE hadn't stopped hearing about it since he came back from the run.

So she was doing her level best to wear him out today, and remind him that there were plenty of things that he couldn't do, and being proud of succeeding in reproducing was a little silly. They had started with tag, and even with her limited to staying on the ground, and outside, the game had been so uneven that they had stopped quickly. Of course he couldn't turn and maneuver like she could. He could spend all day following his prey, and any human target they were tracking would be worn out long before he would, but Atumra couldn't keep up with Natara's ability to dodge unless she was already worn out.

So they moved on to a kind of wrestling they were developing together. Atumra had to pin her down and hold her there without hurting her. No teeth, no claws, not enough of his weight to crack bones. Just immobilize. So far he hadn't even had to worry about how much of his weight to use, since she kept slipping away from him. Still, they probably made an amusing sight, day wher and handler roughhousing in the Weyr Yard on their off day. She'd honestly been expecting comments all day, but so far people just shook their heads and moved on.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
LdyPayne

Wed May 30, 2018 5:43 pm

It being an off day for the Jewelhandler, Shyran decided to work with her flits. She had came to Atricis with just two fancy flits but now thanks to gifts from her parents for graduating and one she acquired from a Pearlhandler who was handing out a clutch, Shyran's collection of pets had grown to six. The youngest was about a Turn old now and at the age where reinforcing her training was a good idea. There was also the fact Ember was likely to rise soon which would mean a clutch for Shyran to either hand out or send to her folks to sell at the shop.

Today Shyran was just focusing on training and play for her pets. Pacaran had watched with amusement as she ran through her firelizards, sending them on short message deliveries, finding and bringing back various items, from painted shells to items she had in her apartment. Eventually she sent them all off to enjoy themselves after deciding their training was still well ingrained. Besides there was something else going on in the Weyr yard that caught her attention.

One of her fellow Daywher Handlers was wrestling with her Daywher. Shyran watched in amusement as Atumra tried to pin his handler only to have the slippery woman slip out from underneath. She chuckled as she watched, amazed at how playful it all looked, like there was no cares in the Copperhandler's world. Maybe there wasn't, especially now that the mystery of the Felines was solved. So far it looked like the humans training and breeding the huge felines had fled New Atricis territory though a part of her would prefer to continue tracking them till the rogues and all of the Felines of that particular breed wiped out. Not practical in the long run as the South was huge and it'll take far more Whers than they had to hunt them all down. Even with the help of dragonriders it would take far too much time and manpower to do.

<She's going to slip away from you again,> Pacaran warned his Packmate. Now that Dolcekil's Run was over Pacaran didn't feel any ill will towards Atumra. During the chase he was a competitor for Dolcekil's attentions but now Pacaran was just pleased such a strong and able male won Dolcekil's favour. He was eager to see the results for the Pack badly needed more young ones to fill out their ranks. As large as their Pack was, large enough to warrent him and his sister Diplomat to be hatched, Pacaran still wished to see it grow and prosper.

Shyran chuckled after hearing Pacaran's warning only to see come to fruition. Natara was definitely very agile and strong and she would never be mistaken for a fragile lady. Shyran was used to strong women as that was how things were ran in Walled Hold. She herself hadn't been physically strong back then compared to how fit she was now, sporting her own muscular form. Unlike Natara however her muscles were lean and still very feminine looking.

"Did you cover yourself with grease Natara?" Shyran asked with a laugh. "The way you keep slipping out from under Atumra, it just has to be grease."
Ainokesshou

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Natara laughed out loud at the comment she heard, and Atumra finally found the right amount of force at the same time. He pushed out enough air that she had to stop laughing from the belly, but was still giggling as she shoved ineffectually at his belly. Finally he moved, after she mentally admitted he had her.

"Not...grease...." she gasped out, sitting up and leaning against his side. "But...plenty of sweat...."

After a few deep breaths, she grinned at Shyran.

"He was supposed to figure out how to hold me down without hurting me. So he was holding back, but was holding back too much. Think he figured it out now, though, thanks." She didn't add that the real purpose had been to wear Atumra out and remind him that siring a clutch didn't make him invincible. Especially since they'd managed to wear her out too in the process.

She certainly wasn't getting onto her feet anytime soon, and Atumra was breathing heavily as well. "I suppose I could have used grease, but I wouldn't want to have to clean up afterward."

It had been - not surprisingly - fun to play with her bondmate like that. They had spent much too long a time feeling the same tension as the rest of the wherguard until the felines were mostly dealt with, and Natara thought she probably wasn't the only handler who could do with some more relaxation.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Now that the wrestling match was over she moved in closer to stand near Natara. Shyran gave Atumra a smile as well. "Whether grease or sweat that was quite the game you two were playing." She nodded as Natara explained the goal of the exercise was and had to agree it would take a fine balance between just enough and not too much pressure. Coppers were Guardians and pretty much the largest of the Daywhers and certainly the heaviest. Her own Pacaran was larger in length than most Coppers but he lacked the heavy musculature typical of the Guardians. Even then she knew Pacaran could still easily crush her beneath his weight if he wasn't careful. Or anybody they happen to be apprehending during a patrol.

"A good lesson though, to find the right balance," Shyran agreed. "Also very useful to bring in prisoners if they have to be tracked down, like those horrible people who trained monstrous Felines to attack us and our nightwher partners."

"How have you been by the way?" Shyran asked, switching to a more easy topic to talk about than the felines. Those monsters and their human handlers had caused so much pain and suffering it wasn't a good topic to get into. "Oh and congratulations Atumra on a successful Run."

Pacaran had been in the same mating run, his first such event but the Jewel hadn't succeeded. He had no hard feelings towards Atumra, in fact he thought Dolcekil made a good choice in choosing the Copper over him. He fully intended to chase her again next time unless he decided he preferred one of the other females. But that was in the future and not something to worry about as yet.

<You have my congratulations as well Atumra, Dolcekil did well in choosing you. I hope all your offspring grow up healthy and strong.>
Ainokesshou

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:16 am

"It is a useful skill, at least in theory," Natara said, grinning, "though I think most people we deal with are either going to surrender immediately when they see a day wher or be a deadly threat that we can't afford to hold back with." Her sentences were still punctuated with brief pauses to breathe, and her cheeks were bright red with exertion, but she was clearly unhurt.

Atumra was feeling equally tired, though his exertion had been more intense control and less movement, so he wasn't having any trouble breathing. Still, the two of them were definitely done for the day. Then Shyran congratulated Atumra, and for a moment he seemed to forget he was exhausted, puffing up a little while Natara tried to find the breath to laugh.

"Shards, don't congratulate him about it," she giggled. "I haven't gone a candlemark without hearing about how amazing his offspring will be." It wasn't even that Natara was disinterested, Atumra was just going a bit over the top, at least when talking to her.

She gave Shyran a considering look. "I don't know how much you've been taught about fighting without weapons," she said. "I'm not personally very good at dealing damage that way, but I AM decent at slipping away," and she wiped at her forehead, "with or without sweat to make it easier. I personally think if you don't have a weapon in hand, it's best to get away from a fight."
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Shyran couldn't blame Atumra for being proud to have Sired a clutch even if it hadn't been lain yet. She was certain Pacaran would be just as proud if he had been the chosen male for the Run. It did make her wonder though, if Pacaran did sire a clutch what would the offspring be like? A mix of typical Daywher colours or would it include more Diplomats? Shyran will have to wait and see but she did wonder if there was any record of Diplomat clutches and if they differed from typical clutches. A thought for another time.

She gave a shrug," I pretty much only know what we were taught in Daywherlinghood. Thanks to all the training and exercise during training I am in far better shape now than I used to be and I do make the effort to keep it up. As for my combat skills I wouldn't say I was top of my class, but I can hold my own for the most part, or at least long enough for backup."

Shyran certainly wasn't the sort to go looking for a fight, armed or unarmed, she would prefer to talk or negotiate her way out of physical confrontation. "It's a good policy to have, I rather avoid a fight if necessary, armed or unarmed. Fortunately, I do have quite a few eager defenders besides Pacaran here. In fact I just finished some training exercises with my fair of flits. They are very useful as extra pairs of eyes and an excellent distraction should I not be able to avoid a physical confrontation."
Ainokesshou

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:35 pm

Natara nodded, knowing that many of the dayhandlers relied more on basic physical fitness and their partners' fighting skills to get by. It made sense, depending on their roles, though being bonded to a guardian wher, she didn't have that luxury. "Long enough for backup is all that really matters," she agreed pleasantly, even if it wouldn't be good enough for her. Still, the other woman was bonded to one of the new diplomat whers. Of course they wouldn't be expected to be the most aggressive warriors in the pack.

"I like to avoid real fights, too," Natara went on. "I just don't feel the same way about....play fights? Practice fights? Sparring is a good way to get your brain focused on your body, and then wear your body out." She was definitely physically drooping, her muscles that pleasant side of sore that predicted she would sleep heavily that night, though she would get hungry before she got sleepy.

Then the comments about flitts as defenders registered. THAT was impressive, and she gave Shyran a considering look. "I have two canines, but they're useless in a fight. I certainly don't bring them along on patrols, about all they're useful for is controlling vermin." And frankly, the two of them working together were barely brave enough to take on larger rodents, even though each of them was large enough they shouldn't be worried. "Do you TRAIN them to protect you, or is that just something they want to do?" Certainly Atumra's little Wisp wasn't inclined to get into fights on Natara's behalf but then, he didn't seem interested in listening to her at all.

She had frequently considered, and then decided against, acquiring a flitt of her own, but if they were instinctively inclined to watch their human's back, it might be a good idea.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 pm

"Practice fights are good, one way to keep one's combat skills, even basic ones up to par and keep those muscles in shape," Shyran agreed. When she first was trained in basic hand to hand combat and weapons training during her Wherlinghood a whole new group of muscles hurt than those from other forms of exercise. Climbing and harnessing Pacaran definitely didn't work those muscles so Shyran did put in some combat exercises regularly just in case. Maybe not as much as some other Daywherhandlers, especially the Guardian Handlers but enough for her purposes anyway.

"I haven't trained my initial pair of Firelizards to actually fight, mostly they were trained as messengers and companions. As I acquired more however I'm adding some combat training too, nothing serious though but more how best to avoid being hurt by humans who may be trying to hurt me or them. Most will come to my defense however, regardless of training. I figure having a couple good at fighting off enemies, or at least keeping them busy while others fly for help is a good way to do it. Using diplomacy will always be my preferred method of handling confrontation but I know sometimes that isn't possible."

"Having a flit or two who are naturally inclined to be good defenders makes the training easier, just as flitters with the right aptitude for delivering messages are more easily trained to do so. Unfortunately some flitters just aren't interested in doing things like that and there's not much you can do to make them." Shyran remembered a customer who came to her parents shop complaining their firelizard was useless. Her parents had did their best helping him with training but the flitter just had no interest in doing what his owner wanted him to do. In the end they sold him another egg with the hopes it will hatch out a firelizard more interested in delivering messages.
Ainokesshou

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:40 am

Natara sighed about the flitts trained as messengers. Her parents' letters tended to include pointed comments about that idea. Here she was, living in a Weyr, accidentally bonded, and she couldn't even manage to find a pet to send letters home. They were practically ankle deep in various kinds of lizards that could carry letters between and she never bothered to get an egg. Letters took a fortnight to go back and forth sometimes.

Oh well, maybe she would finally give in. "Are they easy to train as messengers," she asked idly. She doubted they were easy to train in defense, but maybe she could train one to be a distraction.

Or to retrieve her arrows. That actually sounded like an excellent idea.

Shyran was saying, though, that they had a variety of different personalities and Natara sighed. "Like ending up with two good-sized canines that are cowards who want to hide behind me every time there's a storm, instead of acting as guard dogs. They scare off rodents, though. And they are warm to cuddle up to in the winter."

Maybe, if she just assumed that she could find something useful that suited the critter's personality, instead of having one purpose in mind?

But carrying messages seemed like such an important reason to get a lizard pet.

Ugh, maybe she would just wait until the next time she saw someone handing out eggs. At least then she wouldn't waste marks on something that wouldn't even carry a letter.

"Of course practice fights are good for keeping the muscles working," Natara returned to their earlier topic, "but I have to admit, I also like the competitive part of it. The fact that you can win without killing something, or lose without injury. There's still a rush of energy, but without the danger. It's fun," she said simply, though fun was too simple a word for the elation she got in playfights, whether she won or lost.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LdyPayne

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:47 pm

"They are pretty easy to train as messengers, some take a bit more work and of course there are a few who just don't do it well," Shyran responded. "Most of mine are excellent message deliverers but I do have one that takes a bit of encouraging to do it and I wouldn't rely on him to deliver anything important."

Shyran chuckled when Natara observed even large canines could be useless as guard dogs in a thunderstorm. She couldn't blame the dogs for being afraid of the loud noises of a thunderstorm but it would make their job as guards a bit useless. Fortunately she had never heard of a firelizard afraid of thunder.

"I am no expert on training canines, my family's shop mostly dealt with selling canine supplies and some special treats. We worked more with fancy flits, breeding and training the darlings." Shyran was very fond of fancy flits and she had so many now but still had little trouble keeping them all in line and well trained. "If you ever decide to get a fancy flit or other firelizard I will be happy to help you train it."

Now that she had two female Fancy Flits it was very possible she'll have eggs soon and could give her fellow Daywher Handler one but she didn't want to offer just in case Natara wasn't yet interested in getting one. Thinking about it was one thing but actually getting one a different story and Shyran didn't want to offer just in case Natara felt she was obligated to take one when the time came.

"I never felt any desire to kill something so I can understand it feels much better to subdue somebody without injury or killing them. In all honesty the only time I wanted to kill something was after Roavani was killed by a feline leaving poor Shiravani Wherless. I was so angry I wanted to do something, fortunately I was talked out of it by Darrow and my darling Pacaran. I would likely have been killed, I never realized just how huge those rogue Felines really are but I am glad the truth of the attacks were found out and the bastards who trained them captures and punished." Shyran knew not all the Rogues were caught but the survivors fled as far as they could by all accounts. They hadn't come across any ever since a group of nightwhers discovered the truth.