Meeting the Other Sibling <Tag Sunaia>

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
LdyPayne

Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

After the fun playing an egg then a hatchling for the Candidate lesson on how to dodge clumsy hatchlings Lerina knew she should try and pay a visit to her half sister. Even though she was likely very busy with Candidate lessons and chores Lerina was sure she could find her during the evening free time.

Deciding it may be best to stay out of the actual Candidate Barracks area, Lerina sent a message ahead of time to Sunaia to ask if she wanted to meet up after dinner. She suggested meeting outside the Dragon Candidate Barracks so there isn't any worry about rules being broken. Lerina wasn't allowed non Candidate visitors during her time as a Candidate at Igen and she didn't recall there being a similar rule here when she went over the basics with K'rios some time ago.

Issormoth was soaking in the sun down by the lake ready to come and meet his rider's sibling if Sunaia had any interest in meeting him. He will let his Lerina decide but he expected Sunaia would want to meet him, what young Candidate wouldn't want to meet him?

Lerina could feel the amusement from Issormoth but didn't inquire into what was amusing to the brown. She had a pretty good idea and didn't feel any need to have Issormoth repeat it to her to confirm her suspicions. Reaching up she scratched Evana's chin, the star Furflit an almost constant companion. As she waited for Sunaia to arrive, Lerina wondered if Ghost felt neglected since she rarely took him with her now when before he had always slept in a pouch made especially for him.

Tag Sunaia/Caryatid
Caryatid

Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

When the message had come inviting her to meet her half-sister, Sunaia was laying in her cot practicing her breathing exercises. The healers of Atricis had done had worked a minor miracle in pushing away her lung ailment. The climate here had helped too, surely. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been able to breathe so deeply without also bracing herself for the tug and pull of coughing. And it was just as well-- the labour of candidacy was such that she was often exhausted, given she had to keep up with those who hadn't spent the last Turns confined to a bed, pale as milk and weak as a newly hatched sport dragon. She could feel herself growing gradually stronger, hand in hand with the exhaustion, and hoped it would be enough, should she be fortunate enough to become a weyrling.

It was more exhaustion than hope and contentment which had her in its grip, when the invitation arrived, but tiredness was quickly replaced with a thrill of excitement. Another half-sister! Would Lerina like her? Certainly not if she arrived smelling of chores, hair unbrushed and clothing rumpled!

Sunaia hastened to put herself in order. Armed with a fresh change of clothing and her hair captured in a braid, she dashed towards the exit of the barracks and immediately spied the woman waiting for her. As that had to be her, she raised her hand and called, "Lerina!" as she hurried across the yard.

It was good to not be rendered breathless by a quick walk.

She drew herself up short of offering a hug when she was near enough, but her eyes and smile were bright as she studied the brownrider. It struck her that all of L'van's children held themselves with an appealing confidence-- no great surprise to see, given their sire. "It's so wonderful to meet you! Thank you for sending this invitation." Her eyes flicked around. "Is... Issormorth coming too? That's his name, isn't it? Papa's mentioned him before, he's so proud of you both."
LdyPayne

Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 am

Lerina didn't have to wait long before she noticed a girl about her age coming towards her in a quick walk. She already know what Sunaia looked liked so she started to wave almost at the same moment Sunaia called her name. Lerina smiled and waited for her to close the distance.

"Hello Sunaia, I am glad you were able to get away from your Candidate chores so we can spend a little time together," Lerina greeted her. "We didn't really have much time to chat during that mock hatching practice thrown for the Candidates a little while ago. That was rather fun, I wish I had games like that during my own time as a Candidate."

<I knew she would want to meet me,> Issormoth told Lerina smugly.

Lerina gave a chuckle both at Sunaia obvious interest in meeting her brown and Issormoth's own smug response. "That is his name, you have it right. He's over by the lake enjoying the sun. We can walk over there to meet him if you like, or I can have him come here."

It wasn't surprising her father told Sunaia about her and Issormoth. She was also confident L'van didn't tell her anything she may not want her half-sister to know or would prefer to tell herself. Then again what she wouldn't want to be told to Sunaia or even K'rios she hadn't actually told her father yet so no worries about any mistakes on that front.

"Are you excited for the Hatching coming up?" Lerina asked.
Caryatid

Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 am

In truth, Sunaia ached all over, hard labour being as far from her forte Rukbat from Pern itself. But seeing the light in Lerina's eyes at mention of Issormorth, and she had her answer. Setting thoughts of aching feet and back aside, she smiled at the other woman and tilted her hand lakewards. "A walk would do me good, and it would be an honour to meet him. Shall we?"

She set an easy pace as she stepped in that direction. Not that the brownrider wouldn't be able to keep up, or even because of her aches and pains, but because it would give them more time to speak as they went.

"I find that adding a little fun helps with learning. People remember best what they enjoy most... that and their biggest mistakes. But no one was mauled, which matters most," she said, making a joke of it by tone and the twinkle in her eyes when she glanced over at Lerina. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Her smile lost a little of its shine for the question put to her though. Excited?

No, the feeling in her belly whenever she thought of it was too nervous for excitement. A silly feeling to have, and her so experienced with hatchings. But here was another example of L'van's children succeeding on the sands, walking beside her, and she'd yet to succeed, herself. Her half-sister might think her a failure... or a whiner, depending on how she answered. So she took her time, considering her words before speaking them.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the eggs hatch. It's always exciting, isn't it? All of those new lives. What was Issormorth's hatching like? If I were to guess, I'd bet you remember every minute."
LdyPayne

Thu May 24, 2018 1:06 am

Lerina was fine walking at a slow pace as she did want to talk as they headed towards the lake. If she just wanted to introduce her Issormoth to Sunaia she could have had him at her side at the start. Lerina wanted to get to know her half sister first then Issormoth can have his moment later.

"It certainly doesn't hurt and it was a fun exercise," Lerina agreed. "K'rios should incorporate more fun learning activities with the Candidates. I have offered myself up to help with Candidate lessons or even Weyrling Lessons and activities if needed. Things are different here than they are up North and I want to know those differences. It's important since New Atricis is now my home."

Lerina was also quite eager to see the eggs hatch, especially since this was the gold's first clutch. She had heard Andromedath was been brought to Atricis by her mother before she died along with her rider. She was a gorgeous gold too with an interesting pattern own her tail. Not only that but she heard the Candidates will be allowed to touch her eggs before Hatching Day, something Lerina had never heard of before.

"I will be up in the stands cheering for you and hoping you Impress," Lerina assured her. "We have many riders in our family as I am sure you are aware."

There was nothing that would ever make her forget the moment Issormoth look into her eyes and they became as one. It has been a surprise a brown has chosen her and she would go through all the pain and suffering she had to endure, as Issormoth was worth it. Lerina would have preferred to have been treated like any other new Weyrling but that just wasn't going to happen in a place like Igen. She also remembered how much she had to fight for her right to Stand after her father was driven away and accused of deserting his position as Weyrleader. Now she knew beyond a doubt it wasn't true, her father was driven out all because the other riders couldn't handle the idea of having non traditional dragons brought in, among other progressive changes.

"I remember the good and the bad of finding my Issormoth. At least here, should a brown choose you, you will be welcomed with open arms." She smiled at her sister, hoping it didn't sound like she was envious. "Speaking of which, what colour of dragon would you like or are you pretty much open to any?"
Caryatid

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:58 pm

We have many riders in our family as I am sure you are aware. It was a struggle to keep her smile in place when Sunaia heard that sentence. Lerina meant it kindly and her enthusiasm for the prospect of Sunny Impressing seemed genuine, but that one sentence summed up every mote of guilt and anxiety she'd stockpiled after every hatching. So many of them, and so many failures. Like ice water down her spine, the worry of disappointing everyone, with the natural and legitimate focus on riders in their shared bloodline.

But she fought to keep her smile because she knew, were she in her half-sister's place, she'd think and feel the same. "I think I'd be blessed if any dragon chose me, really. I don't have fingers and toes enough to count how often I've stood now without success. I think that must mean that if one does choose me, it will be the right one, whatever the colour. Or... you know. If one doesn't, then none of them were right for me."

What a terrible thought. And horrible for light conversation. So she was quick to seize the reins and shift back to a less dire tone.

"When I was small, I thought I could share Zenjarth with Papa. I don't think he minded the idea much either, or if he did, he hid it well. They'd come visit and I'd spend hours climbing all over him, or telling him stories, or singing... maybe more than colour, someone as patient as he's always been would be a good match," she considered. Sunaia glanced over and studied Lerina's expression. "What sort of dragon is Issormoth?"

It was a good question-- one which would tell her a lot about the rider as much as the dragon.
LdyPayne

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:25 pm

It occurred to Lerina Sunaia may be feeling she will never Impress given she had Stood for quite a few Hatchings already and none had her dragon. Lerina on the other hand Stood once and Impressed and never had to feel whatever her sister had felt every single time she was left on the Sands.

"It must drive you nuts to Stand so often and still haven't found the dragon for you," Lerina said then realize 'nuts' may not be the word for it. "Not that its much consolation as I am sure you heard it many times now, but so many Candidates are left on the Sands and eventually age out. It happens plenty of times and often to people everybody felt were a sure bet to Impress. In the end I do hope you Impress but if that isn't to be, there are other wonderful things available here in the South. The Daywhers are truly fascinating and I don't think there's any age limit for them...or those new beings recently discovered, Pearls I believe they are called? In the end, whatever path you choose if it can't be dragonrider, we'll always still be family."

Lerina couldn't help but laugh when Sunaia described her relationship with Zenjarth. That bronze must be loved and crawled over by every child L'van fathered. "I used to do that too. I always talked to Zenjarth and told him about my day, what I learned from other dragons at Igen. I never lacked having a dragon or two wanting to talk with me and share their day. Then I Impressed Issormoth and he's always there for me too now." Lerina shied away from mentioning the dreadful Turns of near isolation she endured after L'van was driven off and she Impressed a brown, the first female to ever do so at Igen. Even dragons who had been so friendly towards her had stopped talking to her, all except her mother's and brother in law's. It was good to be able to be natural around dragons once more and meeting the wonderful variety at New Atricis.

"Issormoth is very couragious and a stable presence, never given to over reacting to things which considering how things were for us during Weyrlinghood is a good thing." Lerina loved Issormoth and couldn't think of anything negative about the tri-coloured brown. "He's very unique in his own way of course but overall he's fairly laid back and not one to get overly excited about things."

<You sure are taking your sweet time bringing her over,> Issormoth cut into Lerina's thoughts. <Not that I am impatient but she may be eager to meet me.>

Lerina gave her head a shake. "It seems Issormoth is getting impatient for us to join him, not that he'll admit to it. Lets pick up the pace a little."
Caryatid

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:02 am

How sweet Lerina was, to realize, and to understand. Sunaia gave her half-sister a much stronger smile, one marked with a hint of relief. "It's challenging," she offered as an alternative adjective. "Especially with examples like you, and K'rios, and Papa. Right here in front of me. I want to do well, and do right for the family. There's not a lot of... points in common, between those who ride and those who don't. It's all I've known. So... hopefully but I have to be realistic about it and have a back-up plan, I suppose."

It wasn't as if her plan to hire out as a dragon washer, explained to Mar'lus in jest, would work. Nor could she return to her original dream of being a Harper-- she was too old to apprentice. She supposed that left working with the Headwoman as an assistant. Twenty Turns of that and she could be Headwoman, herself.

But there wasn't a lot of shine to that path. No pull, no lure. She needed to learn to be content with what was instead of dreaming about what wasn't, though. She knew that.

So Sunaia put a good face on it and kept her smile. "He sounds like a wonderful partner to you." And then she laughed, imagining that they'd been scolded by the brown. "You seem more patient than he does though, so you're a wonderful partner to him too. Come on. I can walk faster, I promise. Let's go see your steady, impatient brown."

So saying, she took her skirts in hand to avoid tripping over them as she walked faster-- but she didn't run. Running was a quick trip into an asthma attack.
LdyPayne

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:28 pm

"You'll always have a place here no matter what the future holds for you," Lerina assured her. She wondered if part of the reason Sunaia hadn't Impressed yet was due to her ill health. She may be looking better now since the first time Lerina saw her but Lerina wondered if all her efforts to be a dragonrider may be a foolish dream? Not something she would say to Sunaia, as that would be cruel. But dragonriding was hard work and very physically demanding. Lerina had to work twice as hard as anybody else in her Candidate group partly because she was a woman. Not to mention she had to endure the fall out after L'van was driving off plus the worse treatment she suffered in the first few months since she Impressed a brown. Even after the beatings stopped she still had to work hard, demand to be allowed to continue training as any brown Weyrling would be. Fortunately SUnaia would never have to deal with the worse of what she had gone through simply for being here but still, it was very physical work and Sunaia didn't have good health to begin with.

Despite what many thought however, and her own views, Lerina was confident K'rios would never have allowed Sunaia to be accepted as a Candidate if he didn't feel confident she was able to handle the work should she Impress. Lerina also felt she was looking healthier since the Dodging Hatchling exercise Sunaia had organized.

"I also have a feeling what held you back from Impression up North may not be an issue with Andromedeth's clutch. I will be watching closely on Hatching day and rooting for your success. I will be here for you should this not be your time again either. In fact I will have a fine skin of wine for our enjoyment either way."

Lerina smiled in response to Sunaia saying Issmorth was a perfect partner for her too. Lerina doubted there was every such a thing as a dragon and rider not being perfect for eachother. It may be partly due to the fact one's life depended upon the other and in almost all cases it was the same for the human side. Not a pleasant thought but she was still eternally grateful Issormoth was not the sort of Hatchling to panic easy, otherwise she'll likely have lost him in those first few Sevendays.

With the pace picking up it wasn't long before they reached the water's edge where Issormoth waited. The brown was impatient to meet the sibling of his rider but like with most things he just didn't muster up the enthusiasm to actually speed up the process by meeting them half way. Besides, they had arranged to meet here at the lake and that was where they will meet.

"Sunaia, this is Issormoth," Lerina introduced needlessly. The brown was quite distinct with his clear markings and distinct shades of brown. There are times Lerina felt he looked as close to bronze, at least on parts of his body, as a brown could get. He didn't have the metallic sheen but after a recent cleaning and oiling the sun sometimes gave his hide a similar sheen. Lerina wasn't disappointed in any way Issormoth wasn't a bronze, in fact she was grateful he wasn't. Lerina doubted the fools up at Igen could handle the thought of a woman Impressing bronze much less actually seeing it happened.

<Hello Sunaia, I am pleased to finally be able to meet you...I should apologize for my rider for making you wait so long to do so. I've been here all this time and she dragged her feet bringing you here.> Issormoth addressed Sunaia.
Caryatid

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 am

How reassuring Lerina was being. Sunaia looked up at her half-sister and smiled, without restraint or qualification. She could see, she could almost sense, how hard Lerina was working to put Sunny at ease. It was touching and she found herself feeling tender about it. It was a good thing she'd come South, and not just for matters of her health.

But she found herself curious too. "You think I'm not meant for the... the traditional dragons?"

That was an odd thought. Sunaia was no hard-liner, and those who spoke disparagingly of the new or unique colours were people she preferred to avoid-- there were odd undercurrents in their dislike, most of the time, and it made her uneasy. There was such beauty in the world, and in dragons themselves, that it seemed strange to her to be hostile to any of it, besides. But she'd never considered herself in that light. Was there something different in those new shades, something which might find a resonance in Sunaia?

She wasn't certain what to think or feel about that. Had Lerina seen something about her that was different?

Before she could chase that line of thought further, she found their way forward filled with a number of delightful shades of gleaming brown. Tilting her head back and shading her eyes, she surveyed Issormoth in much the same way he was studying her. That he chose to speak to her caused her shaded eyes to widen. There was a rarity, and such a gift that it provoked her into formality-- she swept into the sort of curtsy she typically reserved for those times when she was being presented to high rank. It was Lord-appropriate, and regal.

"If anyone should apologize it should be me, Issormoth," she soothed. "I shouldn't have kept you waiting, Lerina was only being polite to me, I'm not as fast as I used to be. But meeting you was worth the walk and the wait. It's a great honour, sir."