Conditional Release - [Tag] Parker/Mar'lus

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Caryatid

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 am

Not everyone your age thinks ahead. Sunaia felt her stomach drop. Her age. But it was the reasonable statement. Her age, her rank, these things conspired against the flutters she'd felt in her chest, first seeing Mar'lus. Candidates were strictly off-limits, she was younger, and he was clearly showing himself to be a sensible, thoughtful man-- which did nothing to help with the flutters, even as she tried to swing her thoughts (and emotions) into something more zen. Something less disappointed. "I'll have to remember you to solicit you as a client, if I decide to make a craft of it," she gamely said. As if she was going to forget the bronzerider.

Having work at hand helped, at least. Truly Shardamakath would never glisten as he did on this day, his gleam as much a reward as the obvious contentment in the bronze's mindvoice. And wasn't that a reward too, that he'd speak to her?

Don't sigh and mope, it's unbecoming. You're blessed, she reminded herself privately, before sighing and trying not to mope.

"I'm trying to picture a bad path from here, dragon or not, but I'm not sure I have it... ah... in me." Wait. Oh Faranth, he'd noticed. Her hand gritty and oily in various places, Sunaia pressed palm to cheek and felt the heat radiating there. She could lie! The sun here, the humidity, they had teeth in a way that Telgar's climate lacked. She was a recovering invalid! She could absolutely lie. It might even be easy!

Except pre-guilt already showed on her face as she said, "It's hotter here than Telgar." This had the virtue of being technically true. "Maybe I should get down," Sunny added. She leaned down to let the brush slide down along the bronze's neck to splash into the lakewater. "I can scrub on his shaded side."
Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Mars gave a solid nod of his head as he rinsed off the hand brush he'd been using and applied more sweetsand to it. "I think Shardamakath would be happy to be one of your first customers." He said, though his attention was not on her but hide. He had no way to know that his comment on her age would have sent a small dark cloud over her, but it was the truth. Shards, there were mornings he woke up and felt twice his own age and cursed it, but then he would remember some of the things he'd done in his life and reminded himself it was a wonder he'd lived to be this old.

"Truthfully...any path within a weyr is better than many of the alternatives outside of it." Mars knew that to be all to true. Even when he had been a prisoner of Benden for stealing from them it had been a better life than he had lived as a holdless man or as a mercenary. "Besides, planning is important, but...there is also something to be said for living in the moment."

Upon hearing her express a need to get down, Shardamakath knelt down again. Be a gentleman, Mar'lus. My hide is wet and slick now. The bronze suggested as he knew his rider would not think of such a thing himself. He didn't want to see her lose her footing and fall into the water even if it wasn't that far of a drop.

"Here, allow me to give you a hand down. Wet dragon hide can be slippier than you'd think." He said, obediantly doing as his dragon suggested, and offered a hand up to her to take.
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Caryatid

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:23 am

Another mark of a kind man: here she was spouting nonsense, and he was going along with it. As if it were a real plan, with merit! Sunaia had to laugh (softly, softly!) because if she didn't laugh, she'd sigh. It wasn't fair. "Consider it done, then. I'll try to be here whenever I see you heading for the lake, Shardamakath. First on my client list."

But he had a point about living in the moment. That, admittedly, was not one of her strengths. Plan ahead, have three scripts and be ready, willing, and capable of shifting or adapting when needed. Be prepared. She'd planned for one thing for turns and turns; there was precious little room left for anything else. Yet here was one of the moments he spoke so easily of. His hand hung in the air and she could feel herself sliding precariously on Shardamakath's neck, a victim of gravity and hide's slickness both. It would be so easy to reach out and take the hand offered.

Take it and touch him, which might give away the runaway drumming of her heart.

Gravity won. The tilt worsened, her speed picked up, and she snatched at the offered grip to keep from dropping like a ragdoll into the water. Thank Faranth for the strength in a rider's hand and arm-- it saved her from making a complete fool of herself. As it was, proving the complete lack of strength she presently possessed, she swayed and and threatened to knock into the man as her knees dipped, trying to get her feet beneath her. She felt her lungs seize, which made her yelped, "I'm sorry!" both higher and breathless than she'd intended.
Parker
Site Admin

Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 am

I am not sure how we happened to be lucky enough to receive your generous help today, Sunaia, but I for one am very grateful for it. The bronze said as he preened even more. He wasn't the most arrogant or full of himself bronze, but even he couldn't help but love the idea of getting special treatment for a bath. "Putting aside the fact he is merely basking in all this attention. We are both very grateful for your help today." Mar'lus said politely. Shardamakath gave him a wave of approval for his initiative on being polite. Even after so many turns together, the bronze still had to remind his rider to actually speak to people. He didn't have to worry so much about him being rude, just being too quiet.

"I'm sorry!"

Mars was beginning to wonder why it was taking the girl so long to accept his hand for help down. Then she began to slide down without warning, wet dragon hide really was slippery, but he was able to catch her before she planted face first into the water. "Easy there. You alright?" He asked as he helped to steady her on her feet in the water. Mars was not a slight man in the least. He was tall, broad, and certainly didn't lack for muscles thanks to how he had lived so far. He kept a hold of her for the time being as it didn't seem like she was completely stable yet. "Take a moment if you need. There is nothing to be sorry about."
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 am

Amused, Zenjarth had kept quiet when he'd seen the two of them at the lake. His rider wouldn't find it quite so charming or funny, but the elder bronze thought it quite the sight indeed. It wasn't until L'van decided it was time to give him a bath that he tried to dissuade him, at which point the Weyrleader looked in the direction of the lake and suspected that there was something going on that his dragon didn't want him to see. Whatever it was, it only meant that L'van was going to head in that direction, and so he made his way over there, fingers opening and closing around his supplies with every step that he took. He tried to think of all the scenarios in his mind that could be taking place that Zen wouldn't have wanted him to see. The bronze insisted, upon his rider's arrival, that maybe he shouldn't have been so insistent, because L'van frozen and his face twisted in a way that had even the bronze thinking a healer might be needed.

"Take a moment if you need. There is nothing to be sorry about."

"Perhaps you should be the one apologizing to her, Wingrider Mar'lus." L'van's voice was tight, clearly indicating that he was less than thrilled with what looked like, to him, an embrace of some kind. Perhaps it wasn't that though, Zen tried to tell him, but L'van snorted and brushed a mental hand towards him. He had been a younger man once, before he'd settled down in his salt and realized how much better it was to focus on just one. "If there's no other reason to be touching my daughter, I do believe you can let her go at any moment now."
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Caryatid

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:14 pm

It was a cruel kindness to be told to take all the time she needed because suddenly Sunaia needed that moment to stretch on forever, knowing at the same time that she really ought to squirm free. It was a horrible thing to take advantage of his thoughtfulness and bide in Mar'lus' arms but he was so steady and strong. She felt herself softening, a sweet sort of composure combining leading her to tilt a shy smile up at him as she collected herself-- and made no move to extricate herself from the support he was offering. Say something witty and win another moment here! her mind insisted.

But as she was choosing the perfect words to do just that, another voice was heard. The very worst possible voice to hear, in fact.

"Papa!"

Love ballads never included events such as this in their lyrics: the mad scramble and splashing to put some distance between the man and woman, the burn of embarrassment and dread and guilt which sprang up, the look on L'van's face as she turned her disheveled self to stare at him. Oh no. Oh no no no. He was angry with Mar'lus when all the bronzerider had done was try to be kind.

Sunaia wanted to explain that and take the blame on herself but her tongue seemed tied in knots of a sudden.

"It's not... we were just... I got dizzy in the sun and..." Were it anyone other than her father there, they might have bought these mangled half-truths. But L'van was likely to see through the fluster and mark the other side of things in her expression: the signs of 'it's not' and 'we were just' and 'I got dizzy' being half-lies too. At least for Sunaia. "Please, Papa, don't be mad at him. It's my fault," swung back to true again but was miserable, all the same.

Moment, ruined. And it was all her fault.
Parker
Site Admin

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 pm

"Perhaps you should be the one apologizing to her, Wingrider Mar'lus."

Mar'lus turned quickly to see where the tight, tense voice was coming from and why they were addressing him so severely. He was a bit shocked to see who it was that was standing there glaring at him. Mars didn't have very many encounters with someone as elevated as the Weyrleader, but...here he was none the less and then the man was angry with him to boot. "Weyrleader L'van?" He questioned.

"If there's no other reason to be touching my daughter, I do believe you can let her go at any moment now."

"Daughter?" Mars said with some surprise as he released Sunny as the Weyrleader had suggested....strongly. He looked between her and L'van and he could see the familiar resemblance. Well, it really shouldn't matter whose daughter she was, there was nothing untoward going on between them. Sunny apparently was attempting to get the same message through.

"Please, Papa, don't be mad at him. It's my fault,"

"Sincerest apologizes, Weyrleader L'van, but I swear to you I was merely only trying to stop her from falling into the water." Mars stated as politely as possible. Truth was, his hackles were a little raised at the fact the Weyrleader would automatically assume something more was going on, though he knew what it looked like. His other issue was simply the fact that, while yes Sunny was young, she was still old enough to make her own decisions. Apparently the Weyrleader was rather protective of his daughter, a thing that Mars could appreciate but not understand since he didn't have children. "Would you have rather I allowed her to fall face first off of my bronze?" He asked. There was a twinge of something in his voice that wasn't entirely respectful, but for the most part it was an innocently asked question.
Image Image Image Image

Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:26 pm

L'van's smile tightened, and he looked between the two of them. Sure, he was glad that his daughter hadn't fallen in the water or harmed herself, but that didn't mean he had liked the way she'd been held, or the fact that Sunny was looking at Mars in a manner that suggested thoughts were being spared to something other than the less than pure. He had been young and brash and bold at one point n his life as well. He wasn't entirely trusting of the intentions the younger bronzerider had.

Zenjarth told him he was being paranoid, but he chose to ignore sense and instead focus on observation. That's what he did, he observed, and what he had seen did not sit well with him. "Then I thank you for being the savior in the situation, but an extended hold was not necessary when all you could have done was set her on her feet and moved on with your life." The tone suggested that the man was walking on thin ice with him, not a good position to be in with L'van. "Sunny, I think perhaps the healers might wish to see you after this?"
Dirce L'van D'kellen D'ante V'ric Na'vi K'rios J'on

Fali'vas Koda'vis Melangell Cataren Sianca Feraliss Yaranavexa Rathiran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

[ Threads Wanted ]

“It's better to write something, anything, than to starve the monster. The monster must feed. And it will feed on your soul if not your words. Its appetite is insatiable. Write to save yourself from the monster.”
― Don Roff ―
Caryatid

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:58 am

Oh, this was bad. L'van's tone was not one she'd ever heard aimed in her direction but she'd heard it aplenty when he was poised and prepared to dress down an erring rider-- though always before, they deserved it. Or, at least, she'd always believed they'd deserved it, and every childhood instinct she had now was telling her that there was something L'van knew that she didn't, to justify such behaviour. It was a strong impulse, coupled with the guilt she felt for her private thoughts. He'd read her like a book, of course. He knew.

A much smaller part felt a rare and novel twinge: rebellion. She'd never rebelled before, she'd never even so much as talked back. She trusted her parents to know better and wanted to make them happy, to erase any displeasure, but this...

This was unfair. It was her thoughts, not Mar'lus'. He'd been nothing but a gentleman. Yet, if she spoke up to explain and defend him... he'd know. Did it matter? Surely now he realized she was the Weyrleader's daughter and that L'van was angry, he'd avoid her like the plague. It would be the right thing to do to set the story straight.

But what if he didn't avoid her...? If she explained the foolish girlish flutters, it would be certain he would.

Sunaia grasped for a compromise. "Papa," she said, with head bowed and tone respectful as she attempted a last time to take the blame without fully explaining, "it was my fault. I was holding onto him. I didn't let go and he was only being polite."

That was all she could manage before paternal judgment was rendered-- banishment! She dipped to retrieve the bucket she'd carted down here; the brush would have to remain, floating in the lake. It would be too embarrassing to slosh around Shardamakath to hunt it down and Papa wouldn't likely tolerate any dawdling. Not right now. She kept her eyes down and avoided looking at the unfortunate bronzerider caught in the middle.

But as she stepped forward, she whispered out of the corner of her mouth, "I'm sorry. It isn't your fault."

That was the extent of her newly discovered rebellion, she could express no more. There was plenty of apologetic left, however, and some of it directed at L'van as she stepped by him, delivered in a sorry glance.
Parker
Site Admin

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:49 pm

One of Mar'lus's hands clenched and unclenched in irritation as the Weyrleader continued to treat him like a ruffian who only thought one thing about women. Perhaps that was what his past would label him as, but that was never who he was. For L'van to automatically jump to the stereotype angered him. Besides, he doubted the man even knew of his past as a raider, so the harsh judgement was even more unfair.

Hooded eyes gave a hard, unwavering look back at the Weyrleader while Sunaia tried to once again take the blame for something that needed no apology. She'd fallen, he caught her, that was as guilty as the situation could be. He'd harbored no alterior motives in holding onto her a second other than making sure she had her balance before letting her go. For Faranth sake, she was at least ten turns younger than him. "It isn't your fault either, Sunaia. Your father should not be so over-protective." Mar'lus said to her back. While he kept his voice a bit lower, he really didn't care of L'van heard him at this point on not.

Shardamakath realized now was maybe the time to step in. I believe it is obvious that no one was meaning ill will towards anyone else. It is far too nice a day out for squabbles. Weyrleader, your daughter has a gentle and firm hand. I am sure she will be a great rider herself one day. He said trying to take a more diplomatic and tactful route.
Image Image Image Image