Dual Purpose Little Chat <Tag K'rios/Ember>

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
LdyPayne

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 pm

It was something Lerina had been thinking about for awhile especially now that she knew things were different in New Atricis compared to how she experienced Candidacy herself. She was quite certain many of female Candidates were hoping for a Gold just like they were back in Igen but with all the non standard dragons here, she knew many would be hoping for a Garnet or an Opal or maybe any of the fighting dragons. For all she knew they were encouraged to be open to any Impression including brown and bronze. With her father as Weyrleader he was certain he would encourage such in much the same way he did at Igen but unlike that horrible Weyr, here his idea would be accepted.

But what different things the Candidates were taught did have her curious. Learning she had relations here, including a half brother who was an Assistant Candidatemaster, Lerina knew she had an in to perhaps learn more about New Atricis Candidacy. Not only that she was more than willing to talk to them about being a Brownrider, even if her experiences up till the moment she came here weren't pleasant. Maybe knowing they would never face the worse that could happen like she did, would set women's minds at ease should any Candidates worry about what would happen if they Impress something unexpected.

But first she would need to find her half brother and see if he was willing to hear her out and let her observe a Candidate lesson or two. A part of her was worried however he may not want to meet her given to her knowledge he had not tried to contact her. Then again she hadn't tried to contact him either so she shouldn't assume anything. For all she knew he was just too busy to seek her out or worried she may not want to meet somebody who for all intents and purposes was a total stranger. By this point however Lerina was used to having half siblings she would likely never meet so didn't let that deter her from seeking him out now that she had a plan in mind.

Finding a time when he didn't seem busy with the Candidates wasn't easy however but finally she spotted him alone and not looking like he was hurrying from one place to another. She was dressed nicely as it was a fine Autumn day but not excessively so. On her shoulder perched Evana, her furflit which was a Turnday gift from her father. In the time sinse she had grown close to the Star Flit and enjoyed grooming and training her in her free time. It took some effort to ensure Evana wouldn't harm Ghost but that didn't stop the furflit from tormenting the poor gemlizard when she wasn't paying attention. Fortunately Evana hadn't tried to bite Ghost as Lerina didn't know what would happen to both her pets if that did occur. Gemlizards could extrude a toxin which Lerina had no idea how it would affect her Furflit so she would rather avoid finding out.

"Assistant Candidatemster K'rios, I was hoping to run into you," Lerina called out as she strolled towards the Pyriterider. "If you have some free time I would like to talk to you for a couple of reasons."
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm

While the candidates could be counted on to keep the classrooms clean, there were times when K'rios liked to take the broom and cloths to them himself just to pick up things that tracked through in between classes when he had a little bit of downtime. It kept him busy, gave him something to do, and every so often allowed him to give the spaces a little bit of that deep clean shine they sometimes needed. Today was one of those latter instances where he'd decided that one of the classrooms needed to have a little bit of extra polish put to it, so while he could have assigned a few candidates to the job, and probably should have, since he had no Wing duties or drills, Iktomith was plenty tended to, and Norissa was with her mother for a few days, he figured why not take care of it himself?

Stop. This is almost insulting on a whole 'nother level, even for you.

You're just jealous because you don't get to have snacks while you work. He stopped, after stacking the last of the tables in a corner off to the side, to grab a drink of water and pluck a grape from the bowl he'd placed on the desk still in place. Besides, it's good to keep myself busy, Iktomith. It keeps me out of your hair, does it not?

The pewter snorted. I don't have hair... He sounded perturbed by the words, and didn't bother to ask what they meant - instead he went towards the end of ignoring his rider, which was fine with K'rios. It wouldn't last long, but for now there would be silence, and K'rios could live with that.

K'rios grinned and chewed on the grape, grabbing the broom in preparation to begin sweeping when he heard a voice coming from the doorway. It wasn't familiar to him, but once he saw who it was, he recognized her immediately. The corner of his mouth curled and he heard her words, nodded his head, and went to grab a couple of chairs. "A few things first." He said as he set them up around the desk, poured her a glass of the still-chilled water from the pitcher he had. "I'm in need of a break right now for one," he handed her the cup and sat in the other chair, invited her to do the same. "For two, I've been waiting for you to finally approach me, so it seems that my patience has won me favor." He flashed a smile and tipped his head in her direction. "And finally, let me say that it's good to finally meet you, even under formal circumstances."
LdyPayne

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Lerina didn't know how K'rios would react to her showing up at his office like this nor did she know if he was aware she was a half-sister. She didn't want to come off as expecting some special reaction to her appearance solely based on their blood relationship. She most certainly didn't want or expect any special treatment either, not that a Candidatemaster would have any authority over her, a full wingrider. Not that she would treat any Candidatemaster disrespectfully especially when it came to their charges. K'rios's reaction to her request was definitely not one she had considered either, even if she didn't have any expectations on how he could react.

Learning he had been waiting for her to approach him first however did catch her by surprise. "Why on Pern did you feel you had to wait for me to approach?" Lerina asked after walking into the room and accepting the glass of cold water. "Especially since it's clear you've been eager to meet me."

Lerina took a sip of water, her mind trying to figure out why K'rios hadn't wanted to approach her first. Did he worry she'll not want to meet him? OR was he too nervous to approach? Lerina didn't ask any questions however, instead she waited to hear what he would say in response to the one question she did ask.
Ember

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 am

Well, she didn't seem upset, just curious, so he figured it didn't hurt to tell her the truth of the matter. He scratched his ear and set his glass down. "Our father asked me to allow you to do so on your own time. He never told me why, but I've been under the impression that things were never easy for you coming in. He wanted to ensure you had time to settle in before you were introduced to a sibling you've never known. I've done it more out of respect towards you, and not wanting to overwhelm you."

Perhaps he'd been wrong to do so, but he was glad to have the chance to get to know her now. "I'm thankful for the time we have now though, whether or not I was correct in doing as he asked." He would never know whether it had been for the best or not, though he would wait to see what Lerina had to say about the matter. Depending on her reaction, perhaps he'd have a better idea on the subject. "I know this doesn't seem like a good time to meet up, but I have time now, and I'll also have time later for a longer meeting together. I don't intend for this to be the only time you and I get together to chat, or spend time together. If you are in agreement."

He wanted to spend more time with his sister, to get to know her, to see if they got along. He didn't have much family on his mother's side of things, and of those that existed, he didn't get along well with most of them. Knowing he had many that existed from L'van, however, warmed him, and he wanted more than anything to try and get along with those that he encountered from his father. Then again, he knew there was the possibility that he might not get on with everyone, Lerina included.
LdyPayne

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 am

After listening to K'rios's explanation why he waited for her to approach, Lerina felt a mix of annoyance and appreciation. She didn't need L'van going around telling others to leave her be in fear she'll feel pressured or break but she realized he wasn't doing it to baby her or because he felt she was too emotionally fragile to meet a half siblings but because he really didn't want her to feel pressured or overwhelmed.

It was all fine for the first few Sevendays at Atricis but now she was settled more than enough to meet her siblings and face any pressures or challenges Atricis could throw at her. She made a mental note to assure her father next time they had dinner together.

"I might have been overwhelmed at first but I'm fine and more than willing to meet any of my half siblings. I know father has plenty of children scattered all over Pern and I met a very small number. Its nice to know father isn't my only relation here and I would love the opportunity to get to know you as a brother."

"I did come here to see you both because I have questions and am curious about how Candidacy differes here compared to what I experienced at Igen. Also, I wouldn't mind helping with lessons if you need a guest speaker sometime." Lerina decided to get 'business' out of the way then they can talk more as siblings so they can get to know each other. "We can talk about that and get to know each other at the same time, I don't mind how we do it. I'm already a dragonrider so it's not like anybody can think I"m trying to curry favour from the Assistant Candidatemaster."
Ember

Fri May 04, 2018 5:14 am

He nodded, glad that they were of a similar mind when it came to getting to know one another. Their father had many known children, but they also knew that he had a few that were likely unknown - after all, he had been one of them. So to know that she was looking forward to getting to know him was a pleasing thought, and he provided her with a smile in response to her words. "I'm glad you're in agreement then. It would be a shame if we didn't have the chance to get to know one another." With that being said, he sat back with his water in hand and listened to what she had to say next, a feeling in his spine telling him it would not only be interesting, but important for her as well. Why else would she have chosen to come to him as a both her a brother and Candidate Asisstant as well?

He found he wasn't at all disappointed and more than willing to answer any questions she had on both accounts. "I'm more than willing to help you out with your questions first of all. I'm not quite sure how things are at Igen, but if you tell me what it was like for you, as you're able to, I can then proceed to tell you how things are different here at Atricis." He shifted a little, before sipping from his drink. "See, I was born here at Atricis, at the old Weyr that is, and I Impressed there as well, came South. I've never known any other home. So I've had no reason to really know what any other place is like. But I'm willing to know what another Weyr is like, and I'm willing to tell you what this one is like, of course." As for the rest, it thrilled him to know what she was interested in working with him on some lessons, and so he nodded.

"I'm more than happy to have you help with lessons. I'm always looking for guest speakers, someone to step in and work on physical exercises with them, so on and so forth. If you have something in mind, then by all means, I would be thrilled, and I know for a fact Bellatrix, the Candidatemaster who is my boss, would allow me to make arrangements. Did you have something in mind that you'd like to speak with them about in particular, or should we speak back and forth about things first before we settle on something?" Getting to know each other well... as eager as he was about that, he figured that would come out in due time. For now, he wanted to hear about her ideas, and discuss the differences between the two Weyrs. Then, he'd open up and listen to her in return with delight.
LdyPayne

Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 am

Lerina laughed lightly when K'rios admitted he had no idea how things were done in Igen. Because she had no idea how things were done here other than what she was able to learn by asking a few people it would be just as easy for her to say the same thing. "Well, I expect the basics are the same...but Igen is very much against any of the new types of dragons and definitely frown upon women Impressing anything other than Gold. Female greenriders are tolerated but I am sure many riders would prefer not to have any. During Candidacy we weren't told about Garnets, Pewters or any other non traditional dragon even if somebody asked about them. That is one of the biggest differences I can think of off hand, but I am sure there are others which I'll realize once I learn more about the typical lessons."

She didn't know how much Atricis Candidacy talked about the North other than general knowledge of all the Weyrs and Holds and she certainly didn't know much about the South and the various holds and Weyrs here, or even the very different flora and fawna. She encountered the newly discovered Basalisks and Glossomers, both creatures she never heard of before they showed up here in the last Turn or so. Much of the differences she learned during the 'refresher' classes she attended in the first few months of her arrival to better prepare he for the fighting Wings. Despite going through Weyrlinghood in the North she hadn't fought Thread in a Wing and needed practice to fit in with any of the Atrician wings. Fortunately she was active now and that helped greatly in settling in as well.

"Maybe give me a basic run down of what you teach Candidates by lesson name and I can point out what sounds different from what I learned and tell you what I was taught that you didn't mention." Lerina suggested. "After that I am sure I can think about what sort of lesson I would be willing to help with."

ooc: I think we could just assume they figure out differences etc...and move to more social chatting if you like, or end on your reply and we can work out a lesson Lerina can help with?
Ember

Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

K'rios did, detailing what went on during classes, how things were handled, and what it was that he usually did as an assistant to the Candidatemaster. He listened to what she had to say about Igen, and would counteract each thing when they came up, he would bring up things about Atricis and she would do the say, and they noticed things that were different, some that were not but for the most part... it seemed as if things were done differently on a 50/50 split. In some areas though... When they were finished, it was agreed upon that she would come in to view some classes, then step in on one as an assistant to him - he would sit back to supervise, and she would be the main focus of the delivery. He liked that idea, to see how she would compliment the subject matter rather than being in the teaching role for once.

He made notes, wanting to make sure that Bellatrix would be in the know, and to make sure that the woman would have the chance to speak to Lerina if she needed to, but he suspected she wouldn't have a problem. As long as K'rios knew what he was doing, she generally had faith in his abilities. With everything squared away, he figured it was time to discuss some things, perhaps get to know one another. "I'm genuinely interested in knowing about you. If we asked our Dad, he'd tell me to stay away from anything sticky. But I would like to know about things that make you happy, when your nameday is, if there's anything I can do for you, your favorite foods... silly things like that I suppose. Well, maybe not silly things. Building blocks instead, perhaps?"
LdyPayne

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:57 pm

After working out the similarities and differences between Igen Candidacy and New Atricis Candidacy Lerina found herself more comfortable around her half brother, at least on a professional standing. He had a way about him Lerina expected Candidates found easy to approach him with any questions or issues they may have. How lenient or strict he was about rules and the like she couldn't tell at the moment but in time she will learn that. As she will never be a Candidate again it didn't matter too much to her either way but it would be helpful to know should she be a guest speaker in one of his lessons.

Once the discussion wound down and K'rios moved the topic to just getting to know each other Lerina felt herself tense. Not in a bad way but more because she expected him to start asking about her past. When it was clear he was more focused on her own interests and what she liked in life, she relaxed. It wasn't hard to talk about pleasant things after all.

"I do enjoy spending time with family and we certainly have plenty of that no matter where we are it seems," Lerina responded. Of the family she knew of from their father's side, every Weyr in the North had some and clearly in the South too. Maybe not in all the Weyrs here, but it wouldn't surprise her in another decade that would change. "I love Gathers and talking with dragons, they do seem to like talking to me even dragons who aren't bonded to my family and friends."

"my Nameday is the 7th of Gilgat," Lerina continued answering K'rios's questions. "I really love cake especially spiced cakes oh and stew. There's just something about stews I enjoy more than simply slices of roasted meats with vegetables and tubers on the side, but I enjoy most foods and the variety down here is exquisite, so much so I am surprised I don't weight as much as Issormoth."

"How about you K'rios? What do you enjoy the most food wise and when is your Turnday?" Lerina inquired. Getting to know somebody was two sided and she was as curious about him as he was about her. "Do you have somebody special in your life? Any children? If I'm already an Aunt here in the South I would like to meet my little nieces and nephews. I miss all the ones I left behind in the North."
Ember

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 pm

He listened to her tell about herself and he found his face blossoming in a bright smile. It seemed their father had shared quite a bit of himself between some of his children after all. When it was his turn to tell her about himself, he was quite happy to do so, the grin still on his face, telling her surely that she was in for a bit of a treat once he started to speak.

"Well, I love to eat myself. Sweets are one of my downfalls, though my personal favorites are pull apart deserts, the kind that tear into pieces with ease. Oh, and spiced breads with fruits and nuts in them. I can't get enough of those. I'm particularly fond of stews myself. There's one I tried once that had chicken meat in it. It was a rather rare dish considering how rare chickens are, but it was absolutely delicious. If I'm ever able to get my hand on some of that meat, and the recipe, I'll have someone make some for us. I wouldn't mind some more, and I'm thinking you'd like it yourself." He thought it would be a nice way for them to further bond - their shared like over a dish that would make them both happy.

"And my nameday... believe it or not, we share a month!" That made him happy for some reason, and he wasn't sure why. Perhaps it was because of the fact that they shared something together? "We might have to celebrate with each other next Turn? Mine is on the 25th of Gilgat. Yes, I have a daughter named Norissa. She will proudly tell your she is three whole Turns old when you meet her for the first time. She's a bright, darling little thing that enjoys flowers, dragons, sunshine, and dresses."

The look on his face as he thought about his little girl softened, and he chuckled. "She's been the light of my life ever since she was born. Her mother didn't want a thing to do with her, so I've been taking care of her ever since. I've had to have her in the creche quite a bit, and she has a foster mother, but she's so good, so happy, and I feel like I've done a good job in giving her a good start on life." As for someone special in his life, that soft look remained, and he nodded. "I do have someone special in my life, yes. We've been together for a little while now, officially at least."