Hot Day in Spring - Parker | Darrow

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Season: Mid Spring
Time of Day: Afternoon

Even in the height of Spring, Summer was already making itself known. Sigoryn found out about as much when she took a run on her rest day. Rather than descend the cliffside, she opted for a languid jog for the Weyr Lakes. She thought she would make it fine enough, but by the time she reached the shores, she had gone through her entire skin of water with her body begging for more. She could wring no even a single drop from it as she walked in exhaustion to the log that rested along the shoreline, and settled down with a huff of exhaustion. Every inch of her beaded with sweat, from her brow to her toes, while rivulet trickled down along her spine, and pools gathered under her breasts, across her belly, and in the pit of her arms.

It was the humidity that did it, a wall of moisture that felt like it bore oppressively upon her shoulders. It felt as if she bore twenty pounds of weight when she carried nothing but the skin at her side.

Should she drink from the lake? She supposed it was clean enough, though it went against the grain of what she had been taught as a child. One never knew what had died upstream, and nearly everyone knew how fettered water was a wonderful way of dying a miserable death. No... she would skip the risk of dysentery. But where could she find clean water?

With a glance cast about, she caught sight of a man not far up the beach from her. Maybe he had a skin he would be willing to share? The runner found the strength to pull herself back to her feet, and all for the promise of water. Even if it was just a small squeeze from a warm skin, anything was better than nothing, well... almost nothing.

"Oye!" she called out to the man in hopes she would gain his attention rather than be shrugged off. "Ye wouldn't happen tae have a skin o' water A could have a wee sip from?" Hopefully, he would not ignore her.

Parker
Site Admin
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:05 am

Summer was grasping the heels of spring it seemed like today. It wasn't so much that it was too hot, it was merely too oppressive. Darrow was a native of the south, but not even he liked this sort of oppressiveness. Thank the goddesses today was a free day for him and Argow, so they didn't have to be out working in the heat. However, he and Argow had a differing on what they thought they should do with their free day. He wanted to stay in and work on some music, but she wanted to go swimming. In the end, he finally compromised with her. They would head down to the lake where she could swim and he could find a shady spot to sit and either play his violin or work on a score.

Are you sure you don't want to join me, Darrow? The water feels absolutely amazing. Much better than that shade you're sitting under. Argow stated, trying to coax her handler into the lake with her.

I will maybe join you in a bit, Argow. Right now I want to work on my craft. I don't get to do this that often. Go, have fun. I'm sure that there are some dragons or something that will play and swim with you. Darrow told her as he made another notation on the page he was writing on. His violin rested in its case next to him. He looked up to see his black daywher bounding into the water without a care in the world.

"Oye! Ye wouldn't happen tae have a skin o' water A could have a wee sip from?"

Darrow looked up and around, unsure if he had heard what he thought he did. Then, he saw a woman who seemed to be looking and talking right at him. Since there wasn't anyone else closer she had to be asking him. "Um....yeah, sure." He sat his things down and stood up. He'd brought a skin of water with him to sip on while they were by the lake. "Here you go." Darrow held out the water to the wore out woman.

Image x10 - counted
Image Image Image Image Image
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

.::..::..::..::..::..
PC Character Tracker | Marks Tracker | NPC Stash
Shaihulud

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:28 pm

The man seemed a bit confused at first, though Sigoryn could not entirely blame him. It was not like they knew each other or anything. If anything, her request was an odd one for a stranger to make. Still, regardless of his uncertainty, he offered his kindness. "Um....yeah, sure."

"Thank ye," she answered appreciatively. Even if she acted like an uncouth ogre at times, Sigoryn knew her manners well enough to use them. Even at the dinner tables back in Beinn and Alba, the made sure to mind their pleases and thank yous. As he retrieved the skin, the runner glanced at the other items he had scattered about him. Immediately, she noticed the violin.

"Here you go."

She took the skin, with a nod, "Aye, thanks," but also noted the knots at his shoulder. A dayhandler... but was he a harper. Rather than ask immediately, she took a swig of the water, and sighed in relief. That was exactly what she needed. "Ye a harper o' somethin'?" she asked him as she handed back the skin and gestured to the instrument.

Image x4 - counted
Parker
Site Admin

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:08 pm

"Aye, thanks. Ye a harper o' somethin'?"

Darrow looked over at his instrument and the pages he was writing on. He'd been smart enough to pay a rock on top of the pages as now the wind was curling the corners of the page upwards. Chasing after papers was not something he wanted to do, especially when it'd make him appear silly in front of a new person. "Yes. I am. Well, I'm a dayhandler first and for most." He answered her in a soft voice.

While he wasn't as timid as he use to be, he was still quite shy and quiet when it came to talking to people he wasn't all that familiar with. Thanks to Argow and friends like Shyran and Devyn, though, he was learning to stop being so shy and just...talk to people. "My family is harpers in Walled Hold. We've been entertaining there for many, many generations. Even being a guard now, I can't give up my craft."

"Oh, my name is Darrow, sorry. I forgot my manners." He said properly and was rather proud of himself for not have stuttered once.
Image x5
F'lin & Mnenomth | C'sian & Gastoneth | Sid'nis & Iolith | Ao'mek & Tlamehath | Lorcan & Hydranth
Image Image Image Image
So'cles & Ylpeysth | Locke & Wraith | Kisle'vis & Cetovas | Journeyman Zaynallen
Darrow & Argow | Naji & Weisdan | Candidate Carver | Ferghas & Fersk | Corbin & Corsk

Shaihulud

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:24 pm

"Yes. I am. Well, I'm a dayhandler first and for most. My family is harpers in Walled Hold. We've been entertaining there for many, many generations. Even being a guard now, I can't give up my craft."

Shards did the man ever come off as quiet, but Sigoryn heard him well enough nonetheless, and found herself easily relating. If or when she Impressed, she doubted she would ever give up running completely. The desire to cut a path across the world with her own two feet was more than a want of the heart, but a yearning of the bones. When days passed without a good run, a physical ache from unspent energy built up in her joints and gnawed at her spine, begging for release. No, even if her time was spent mostly in the skies, Sigoryn would always make sure to reserve what was left of it on the ground. A will always be a runner.

"Oh, my name is Darrow, sorry. I forgot my manners."

"Oye, don't worry. A seem tae o' furgotten thaim too," she replied as she handed back the skin. "Nice tae meet ye Darrow. Me name is Sigoryn, but ye can call me Sigi. Normally only let me friends call me that, but seein' that A don't really have friends here o' anywhere really, A figured A can start by introducin' meself as one." The runner meant it. Not since the disappearance of her station and her family back in Ruatha had Sigoryn found herself close to anyone. It left her feeling lonely for some time now, and she recognised it was time to open herself up again.

Image x4 - counted
Parker
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:26 pm

"Oye, don't worry. A seem tae o' furgotten thaim too. Nice tae meet ye Darrow. Me name is Sigoryn, but ye can call me Sigi. Normally only let me friends call me that, but seein' that A don't really have friends here o' anywhere really, A figured A can start by introducin' meself as one."

"Sigi, the pleasure is all mine." Darrow said politely and still quietly. He did give her a warm smile at the fact she was allowing him to call her something normally only privy to her friends. "You're new to the weyr then, I take it? It would be a honor to be considered a friend. I am a bit lacking in a quantity of them myself." It was still a bit hard talking about himself, but with Argow's help he was trying to be more open and social with people. "You're from the north? I haven't heard anyone with an accent like yours before." If he were being honest a few of the words she'd said he had to take a minute to understand.

Just then the sound of splashing came closer and closer. Darrow turned to look and saw his black daywher trotting towards them. "Argow, if you're going to shake that off do it away from us, please." Darrow told her sternly in a voice that was a bit louder and more sure of himself. He knew his daywher well enough to know she had a mischievous streak and wouldn't hesitate to try and get them wet.

I wasn't going to! But now I want to....but I won't. I do have manners to you know. She replied back with some snark as she shook off in the swallows and then closed the distance between them.

"Sigi, this is my black, Argow. Argow, say hello to Sigi." Darrow introduced them.

The black dipped her head in a mock bow. How do you do? You look as if you've been running from something....or running after something.
Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

"Sigi, the pleasure is all mine. You're new to the weyr then, I take it? It would be a honor to be considered a friend. I am a bit lacking in a quantity of them myself."

"Well maybe we can change that then." It would be nice to know someone in the Weyr and honestly consider them a friend.

"You're from the north? I haven't heard anyone with an accent like yours before."

"Aye, that A am," she replied. She would have elaborated, but before she could, her attention was suddenly grabbed by an approaching daywher. During her time in Southern Seahold, Sigoryn had seen her fair share of daywhers. Seeing one now, however, so close, and with herself now bearing the rank candidate, she could not help but regard them differently. She appreciated them more, and did so with the wonder of what it might be like to be bonded to one. If she failed to Impress to a dragon, could she stand at a daywher clutch?

"Argow, if you're going to shake that off do it away from us, please."

So she belonged to him.

"Sigi, this is my black, Argow. Argow, say hello to Sigi."

How do you do? You look as if you've been running from something....or running after something.

Sigoryn smirked from the beast. "A wish that were true. Probably be more fun that way," she jested back, knowing full well what "chasing" might mean to a wher. "But A just dae it fur shits an' giggles, stretchin' meself out an' warmin' up me legs fur when A want tae have a bit more fun." Did dragonkin understand what teasing or joking was?

Parker
Site Admin

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:49 pm

"Aye, that A am,"

Before Darrow had the chance to ask her where about in the north she was from, he had an over-excited puppy of a black daywher rubbing lovingly against him. "Argow! Stop it! You're all wet! You're getting me all wet." He scolded the black, but she didn't seem to care one little bit. Argow gave her handler a few generous licks on the face before she stopped accosting him. He was now rather damp and his face was coated. "She can be a little too loving sometimes." He stated as he tried to rub his face clean of the slobber.

"A wish that were true. Probably be more fun that way. But A just dae it fur shits an' giggles, stretchin' meself out an' warmin' up me legs fur when A want tae have a bit more fun."

That makes sense. I like to just run sometimes too. Or just swim or do anything like that. Darrow likes to do his music, but I like to be active. Do you like to swim?! I've been trying to get Darrow to swim with me, but he says he wants to finish his music. Argow said with excitement.

"Argow...she's obviously tired. She probably doesn't want to swim right now." Darrow said and gave a look of apology to her. Yes, Argow was great at getting him to have to come out of his comfort zone by talking to people. Plus, now with her there, he was far too shy to strip down himself to get into the water.

It would be so much fun though! And the water feels great! Argow went on to say.

Image Image Image Image

Shaihulud

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:11 pm

When the wher tackled her bonded with affectionate nuzzles and licks, much to her handler's dismay, Sigoryn could not help but laugh back in turn. Doe eyes brightened, accompanying the white grin of laughter she offered the pair, one wide and bright enough to even make her nose crinkle and her cheeks blush. Seeing the two of them, she did not think "too affectionate" was possible. Affection by one's lifemate could only be enjoyed and savoured.

And the mention of swimming, the candidate cast a glance to the lakes. On a hot day like this, those waters sure did look like an invitation, even if Darrow seemed to nervously oppose it by invoking what he likely hoped was Sigoryn's own opposition. But there was no opposition to be had on Sigoryn's behalf. She actually quite liked the idea.

"A think A actually agree with Argow aboot this. The waters dae probably feel as lovely as they look." Though not entirely a prude, the runner at least had a shred of modesty compared to many weyrbred folks... only a shred mind you. "A don't oppose, A mean if ye all right by it. A don't want tae offend ye though if ye don't want tae... even if A think ye should." If anything, it would be good for him. "Besides, it's fuckin' hot oot here."