Running....er limping away from your problems? Tag: Ember

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ainokesshou

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Varren would have been perfectly happy to keep scratching, if that wouldn't have meant that Finn must keep standing. "I'm not as worried about getting ME where I'm going as I am about getting YOU sitting down," he said, drawing his hand reluctantly away from Danteth to take his sister's arm. He followed her lead again, and smiled ruefully when she started talking about how hard she had tried to get him here.

Until the last Hatching at High Reaches Weyr, he had been pretty torn between staying there and following his sister. The deciding factor had been his desire to keep working with the same plant lines. After his injury, though, it had made more sense to leave. He hadn't been able to continue his research while recovering and he didn't really have any relationships with current candidates there. The relationships he had with weyrlings weren't necessarily positive, either.

"I hope I'll have better luck, here," he said, "but even if I don't I'm sure I will still be happier here than there." Certainly, he would avoid developing crushes on fellow candidates. He was going to focus on his plants, his sister, and his responsibilities as a candidate. He finally believed the candidate masters that romantic interest in candidacy was a bad idea, even if it didn't go beyond flirting. He hadn't completely understood that it could actually be worse if the feelings were somewhat returned than if they weren't. Even if the green his friend Impressed hadn't been jealous, their friendship would have been permanently altered when only one of them Impressed, and Varren wasn't sure if he was more hurt about being left behind, or about being....well, hurt.

"Even if I don't have better luck with the dragons," he continued, "If I end up aging out, maybe I could become a different kind of candidate, and still stay at the Weyr." It wasn't what he had always wanted, but there were so many opportunities at Atricis. He was quite far from aging out, of course, but if he thought about candidacy as something that was supposed to be a long process, then it would hurt less each time he was left standing.
Quiloth     Elahrairath     Nahumth      
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
   Atumra       Panlovis     Galask  Gask                      
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Danteth rumbled, just as disappointed to have the boy leave her side. When Finn heard her speak, she grinned and gave her brother's arm a little pat. "Well, I know you have to get me seated, so that's not a worry. We'll do that soon. Danteth says though that anytime you wish to scratch her, just stand in the Weyr Yard and say her name. She'll come down from the pavilions and join you. She's a bit of a sop for you it would seem. She never takes to anyone so quickly, save for Bast, and even he took a little bit of warming up to." She glanced over her shoulder at her dragon, before the garnet could slip away to her sunning spot once more.

What a joy she was having today. Her brother was here, she was introducing him to her dragon. She'd get to introduce him to Bast, maybe even Isi and Lor. She gave an excited grin and felt herself tug on his arm when she realized she'd be able to share three others with him as well. "I'm sorry, I'm just thinking of everyone I'll get to show you off to, including my dear pets. I've managed to Impress three of the buggers since I've arrived, one more recently because her mother, one of my own, just wouldn't give her egg up when I was trying to give them away." She chuckled and leaned her head on her brother's shoulder. "But I suppose those will have to come when we are seated, won't they?"

She was proud of him for thinking sensibly, though she knew how much he wanted a dragon. It wouldn't be easy if he didn't Impress to one, but he was right, there would be chances for him at the Weyr still if he aged out. But that was only if. She had confidence that her brother would be chosen by a dragon. If not at the next hatching, then at another, and if not that one, then another... She gave his arm a tug and righted herself to stand tall. "I don't think you have anything to worry about, Varren. There are plenty of chances for your to Impress here. Lots of dragon clutches happening each Turn, and that increases your chances of yours being in one of them." She smiled up at him. "Your dragon is here. I can feel it."
Ainokesshou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 am

"Well, I will have plenty of chances to Impress here," he agreed, "but I think I'll have an easier time putting it out of my mind here, too. I came to help you with your baby, so I'll work on being a good uncle, and taking care of my plants. If I age out, I'll just reevaluate everything." It was a terrible thought, but he was trying to be mature. And, it would be easier to deal with aging out at a new Weyr. He wasn't having to watch the boys he had grown up with caring for dragons here.

It was also pointless to worry. He wasn't even halfway through his candidate years, so Finn was hopefully right. There was a good chance that he would Impress here. If he didn't at least he wouldn't feel so humiliated at being left standing in front of people who expected things from him.

"Well my dragon isn't here YET," he teased gently, "and I think my new niece or nephew will be here first." He considered her statement about the flitters. "I wouldn't mind meeting your pets," he agreed. "I don't have one of my own. There were opportunities, but everyone said it's harder to take care of a hatchling if you have pets." Not that he'd had to deal with that problem yet. Maybe he should have gotten a fire lizard when he had the chance, since it could be 4 or 5 turns before he Impressed, if at all.

"Are they trained well enough to help with the baby? Bringing you nappies, and things?"
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 am

She didn't think he'd age out. She was just that confident that her baby brother would have his luck here at the Weyr. He was good at what he did as a crafter, of course he was, and she was looking forward to having his help with the baby. "You're going to be a marvelous uncle. The baby is going to be so loved, and I'm happy that he or she will know you, Varren." Her mind, as glued as it was on the baby, was also caught up on the plants, and she sighed. "And I hope that you can teach them how to appreciate plants. You're so good with them, so gentle. It'll be a good lesson for my child to learn when they're little."

She couldn't even begin to imagine what her little one would be like when they were still at the stage when they would need to be taught how to be good. With her brother, with Bast, with Isi and Lor, he or she was certain to grow up to be wonderful. Finn smiled, a vague image appearing in her mind's eye, and she sighed happily.

It was such a lovely image, and she knew she was being soft and sentimental. Maybe it was the pregnancy, maybe it was her happiness, but right now she didn't much care.

At the mention of her pets, and of him receiving one, she smiled. "I can call for them when we're settled if you like, so you can meet them. Belladonna is a good girl, she's very well trained, knows how to fetch things for me easily enough. She curls up against my belly protectively when we're resting in bed, and Oleander isn't far behind. Then there's little Pennyroyal, who is one of Bella's hatchlings. She is never far away from her Mama, so she likes to mimic her. I think she'll be easy enough to train too - she'll want to do what her mother does."

As they neared their destination, the baby took that time to roll and kick, and she gave a little "ooh" in surprise. "Don't worry," she said, hand on her stomach. "Uncle Varren will have Mama off her feet in a few moments. We're just about to the dining hall."
Ainokesshou

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 pm

"Right," Varren nodded, amused. "I'll be the uncle who encourages the kid to dig in the dirt, and go home muddy, sweaty, and exhausted right before dinner." Of course he wouldn't do that. He would at least make them wash their hands, and the exhausted part of it would probably be helpful to Finn instead of frustrating. "The father is a healer, too, right? Not very interested in plants?" Which wasn't surprising, really. More than one person, healers included, had thought Varren's interest in plants was strange for anyone except a farmer. And yes, intelligent farmers were constantly trying to increase how much food they could produce with the same amount of work, the same amount of land. That was similar to trying to grow medicinal plants with stronger positive effects and weaker negative effects. Varren had, in fact, learned a great deal from some farmers.

He didn't respond to her suggestion about meeting her pets, because he was caught up by her reaction to the moving baby. "Yes, we need to get you off your feet, right away, if the baby is making a fuss," he agreed, and he pointed ahead. "Is that where we're going?" he asked, correctly indicating the door to the dining hall. "You can sit down, calm down baby Finn, and I'll get you some food." he said firmly.
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 pm

"Believe me, I won't mind that at all. I like the idea of my babies, current and future, knowing the feel of dirt beneath their little fingers. You'll have to teach them that for me." She wouldn't have it any other way, because she wanted her children to have a normal childhood before they wound up in a craft, or on the backs of dragons. Unless they wanted to be with whers, or even pearls. She wouldn't mind no matter what, so long as they were happy and healthy, content and safe. "Hm?" Lost in her thoughts, she didn't catch him at first, and thanked Danteth when she filled in the blanks. Chuckling at her own foolishness, and loss of chance to swoon over mention of her Bast, Finn nodded. "Aye, Bast is a healer as well, though he specializes in the maternal end of healing. It's a good thing though, when you consider it - he's been monitoring the pregnancy because he knows what to do, what to look for, and he'll even be there to help when the day of the birth comes."

She perked up at the thought of food and grinned at how firm he was speaking. She would have said that he didn't need to wait on her, hand and foot, but she suspected she knew what kind of reaction that would have received her. Remaining quiet in those regards, she dipped her head when someone opened the door for them, then led Varren to one of the tables close by, certain he wouldn't have it any other way. "Ooft. There. Off my feet." She felt so much better to be seated, and looked up at her brother. "Honestly... think I might take you up on that offer to fetch food and drink, Varr."
Ainokesshou

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 pm

It was actually very good news that the weyrmate was a healer focused on expectant mothers. In fact, it was reasonable to assume that he knew more than Finn herself about how her pregnancy was progressing. Varren would have to make the time to interrogate ask the older healer whether there were any concerns that he could help with. Other than helping Finn carry anything that needed to be moved, entertaining her and her dragon while her mobility was limited, and basically make certain she didn't exert herself in any way.

But right now, Finn was sitting down, and asking him for help, and he was certain that he was going to fit in at New Atricis Weyr just fine. Someone here actually needed him, and that was all that mattered. "What would you like to eat?" he asked, aware that even if she still had the same favorites she'd had several turns before, they might not be what she craved while expecting. "Does Baby Finn have any special preferences?"
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 pm

She was glad to be spoiled right now. Granted, she was spoiled all the time by Bast, but it was different knowing she was being spoiled by her favorite sibling. She smiled and patted her belly, because Baby Finn did indeed have special preferences, a few different ones in fact, but Mama Finn didn't voice all of them, because some of them were rather strange, and she wasn't going to weird her brother out by her unusual cravings. Danteth tried to insist that he wouldn't mind, but she wasn't going to take that chance.

"As a matter of fact, I'm about to list off a bit of a feast." She shifted in her seat a little bit. "One is a little strange, because I can't hold back all of my strange cravings, apparently." She glanced down at her belly, and admonished - gently - the baby within. "Why must you make Mama want such unusual things, Baby Finn?" She clicked her tongue before glancing back up at her brother with a sheepish look on her face. Okay, so maybe she wouldn't request a feast, it just seemed like it in her head. "What I really want is a big, giant, as large as you can get it bowl of stew."

She then looked at him, her mouth watering at the thought though normally she would never like the idea with her stew. But lately, the idea had just made her twitch with anticipation. "With cinnamon... and redfruit... in it."
Ainokesshou

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Varren was nodding along as his sister spoke. Stew was reasonable, it was even normal. There were a lot of nutrients, in the sort of dish that could warm you from the inside out. And it was such a staple that you could almost always find some stew in a Weyr, kept warm and ready to serve for all the people working odd shifts or coming in from a part of Pern that was in a different amount of daylight.

Redfruit? And cinnamon? He wrinkled his nose. It could have been worse, those were all legitimate foods, and often the redfruit would be served with the same meal as the stew at least as a dessert. Actually, didn’t some people put cinnamon in with redfruit in some pastries? So she was just putting her dessert directly into her stew. Odd, but not odder than he should expect of a pregnant woman.

“Is it ok if I get the cinnamon and redfruit on the side, and you figure out how much to add?” he asked cautiously. He really didn’t want to add too much of either, make it inedible by even her own standards and then get yelled at for wasting food. “And did you want anything else?” Stew sounded good to him, too, as long as he didn’t add anything sweet like she was planning. Maybe they would have some dark bread as well?
ImageImageImage
Zenith         Ramlahvas
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ember

Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 am

She considered it for a moment.

Oh, Boy of Finn, you asked her a very difficult question. Came Danteth's voice then as Finn continued to think about it. She would have you bring her the entire kitchen if you would allow it. She eats more than I do.

Finn frowned and shook her head. "Don't believe her for a second, Varren. She's a thick liar. I would eat just about anything, sure, but not everything." She scratched her nose and lifted her chin, offended by her dragon and the fact that she would speak to her brother in such a manner. But she had to admit she wanted more than just stew, and the redfruit... and the cinnamon. "Getting those things on the side would be fine by me, sweets. I wouldn't mind some bread as well. Maybe a little cheese, come to think of it. And fruit, more than what I'm already getting. A bit of vegetables, steamed and seasoned. Tubers perhaps, mashed with a little gravy? Perhaps a bubbly or two, maybe a couple of meatrolls, the fresher the better..."

She had no regrets for asking for so much. Someone had offered to get her food, and she was going to ask for food. She patted her stomach and looked at him with a bright smiled. "The two of us, we're hungry, and Bast makes sure we eat plenty, but... we're hungry." She didn't care that she might be slower to lose the baby weight at this rate. Today, she just wanted to eat and enjoy herself. Her baby brother was back, and that was reason enough to let loose for a little while in her opinion, forget strict pregnancy diets for once.