Running....er limping away from your problems? Tag: Ember

The main, central area of the Weyr, since it's no longer a "bowl" like before, people have taken to calling it the courtyard, or more often, the Weyr Yard. Dragons land and take off here while people walk from building to building going along their daily duties.
Ainokesshou
Marks: 796.00 [Donate]

Re: Running....er limping away from your problems? Tag: Ember

Postby Ainokesshou » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Varren would have been perfectly happy to keep scratching, if that wouldn't have meant that Finn must keep standing. "I'm not as worried about getting ME where I'm going as I am about getting YOU sitting down," he said, drawing his hand reluctantly away from Danteth to take his sister's arm. He followed her lead again, and smiled ruefully when she started talking about how hard she had tried to get him here.

Until the last Hatching at High Reaches Weyr, he had been pretty torn between staying there and following his sister. The deciding factor had been his desire to keep working with the same plant lines. After his injury, though, it had made more sense to leave. He hadn't been able to continue his research while recovering and he didn't really have any relationships with current candidates there. The relationships he had with weyrlings weren't necessarily positive, either.

"I hope I'll have better luck, here," he said, "but even if I don't I'm sure I will still be happier here than there." Certainly, he would avoid developing crushes on fellow candidates. He was going to focus on his plants, his sister, and his responsibilities as a candidate. He finally believed the candidate masters that romantic interest in candidacy was a bad idea, even if it didn't go beyond flirting. He hadn't completely understood that it could actually be worse if the feelings were somewhat returned than if they weren't. Even if the green his friend Impressed hadn't been jealous, their friendship would have been permanently altered when only one of them Impressed, and Varren wasn't sure if he was more hurt about being left behind, or about being....well, hurt.

"Even if I don't have better luck with the dragons," he continued, "If I end up aging out, maybe I could become a different kind of candidate, and still stay at the Weyr." It wasn't what he had always wanted, but there were so many opportunities at Atricis. He was quite far from aging out, of course, but if he thought about candidacy as something that was supposed to be a long process, then it would hurt less each time he was left standing.
Elahrairath    Folith   
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Atumra    Panlovis     Galask                    

Ember
Marks: 341.00 [Donate]

Postby Ember » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Danteth rumbled, just as disappointed to have the boy leave her side. When Finn heard her speak, she grinned and gave her brother's arm a little pat. "Well, I know you have to get me seated, so that's not a worry. We'll do that soon. Danteth says though that anytime you wish to scratch her, just stand in the Weyr Yard and say her name. She'll come down from the pavilions and join you. She's a bit of a sop for you it would seem. She never takes to anyone so quickly, save for Bast, and even he took a little bit of warming up to." She glanced over her shoulder at her dragon, before the garnet could slip away to her sunning spot once more.

What a joy she was having today. Her brother was here, she was introducing him to her dragon. She'd get to introduce him to Bast, maybe even Isi and Lor. She gave an excited grin and felt herself tug on his arm when she realized she'd be able to share three others with him as well. "I'm sorry, I'm just thinking of everyone I'll get to show you off to, including my dear pets. I've managed to Impress three of the buggers since I've arrived, one more recently because her mother, one of my own, just wouldn't give her egg up when I was trying to give them away." She chuckled and leaned her head on her brother's shoulder. "But I suppose those will have to come when we are seated, won't they?"

She was proud of him for thinking sensibly, though she knew how much he wanted a dragon. It wouldn't be easy if he didn't Impress to one, but he was right, there would be chances for him at the Weyr still if he aged out. But that was only if. She had confidence that her brother would be chosen by a dragon. If not at the next hatching, then at another, and if not that one, then another... She gave his arm a tug and righted herself to stand tall. "I don't think you have anything to worry about, Varren. There are plenty of chances for your to Impress here. Lots of dragon clutches happening each Turn, and that increases your chances of yours being in one of them." She smiled up at him. "Your dragon is here. I can feel it."
Image Image Image Image Image
Finn & Danteth | L'van & Zenjarth | K'rios & Iktomith | J'on & Desdomondyth | Saibra & Sarsk

Image Image Image Image Image
Fali'vas & Nymvas | Master Rathiran | Candidate Dirce | Candidate Varric | Candidate Kelajosidran

Compendium | NPC Archive | Wanted Connections | Marks Tracker | Emporium

Ainokesshou
Marks: 796.00 [Donate]

Postby Ainokesshou » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 am

"Well, I will have plenty of chances to Impress here," he agreed, "but I think I'll have an easier time putting it out of my mind here, too. I came to help you with your baby, so I'll work on being a good uncle, and taking care of my plants. If I age out, I'll just reevaluate everything." It was a terrible thought, but he was trying to be mature. And, it would be easier to deal with aging out at a new Weyr. He wasn't having to watch the boys he had grown up with caring for dragons here.

It was also pointless to worry. He wasn't even halfway through his candidate years, so Finn was hopefully right. There was a good chance that he would Impress here. If he didn't at least he wouldn't feel so humiliated at being left standing in front of people who expected things from him.

"Well my dragon isn't here YET," he teased gently, "and I think my new niece or nephew will be here first." He considered her statement about the flitters. "I wouldn't mind meeting your pets," he agreed. "I don't have one of my own. There were opportunities, but everyone said it's harder to take care of a hatchling if you have pets." Not that he'd had to deal with that problem yet. Maybe he should have gotten a fire lizard when he had the chance, since it could be 4 or 5 turns before he Impressed, if at all.

"Are they trained well enough to help with the baby? Bringing you nappies, and things?"
Elahrairath    Folith   
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Atumra    Panlovis     Galask                    

Return to “The Weyr Yard”