Shattered Spine - Tags [Ember/Fali'vas] [Parker/So'cles?]

New Atricis Weyr's westernmost border of territory lands along a coast of beaches and seaside cliffs. From the western coasts, a large island can be seen, but is off limits due to the dangers of rogues inhabiting the island. Including the Flotilla settlement, slowly, Atricis' coastal border is growing thanks to the Pearls and their riders.
TheLifeweaver

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:56 am

https://soundcloud.com/4xcat/warframe-w ... t-together

A rather unique sight had been bestowed upon the western coastline two days prior; a ship - lashed to impromptu moorings in the form of several large rocks and bulky trees via her halyards - boasting a gaping wound upon her coastside bow. Scattered beneath the hole were the rotten planks which had once served as her skin, pried from her the very instant they had made land.

To someone more poetic the scene could have been likened to a visceral maiming - a ribcage gouged open - with carrions scavengers in the form of her former tenants picking at her innards; be it cargo or smaller sections of rotten wood. A dull haze seemed to emanate from the crew as they carried out their task, perhaps it was ale or lingering shock, yet they seemed oddly incompetent for the wizened family. And bizarrely enough, no one could fault their dullness, for the events that brought them to ground would linger in their minds for years to come.

It had been a rogue wave that had sundered them upon their return trip from the northern continent. A surge of unrelenting force which had proclaimed its passing with the deafening snap of wood and upon investigation they quickly uncovered the issue alongside the worsening flow of salt-water upon their goods. Her keel - the spinal column of a ship - and foundation to their home had cracked.

By all accounts it had been a miracle that they had made it to land, let alone preserving their goods and crippled craft. And upon caneering her they had uncovered the reason for this travesty, parasites, which had eaten away at sections of the craft which suspiciously related to areas replaced during their last visit to a dry-dock. By all accounts this would serve as the death knell for their livelihood and sever the close knit family that had festered within her hull.

To preserve it would require a small miracle; both for good weather and forgiving tides.

Yet Mother-Pern held no such inclination for mercy, casting tides as it had done since time immemorial, roiling the sands of a hastily erected caneerage and loosening supporting timber poles dug into the sands to further support the weakened craft. From within a dugout erected around the splintered section of keel, a slender figure shivered as he was splashed once more by salt-spray.

Even with the aid of wooden planks serving as an impromptu windshield and his thick leather coat the Craftsman struggled to steady the chisel held in a vice-like grip. Before him was the splintered section of keel which he had already slaved over for the best part of a day. Having erected supports with the aid of both crew and fellow craftsman he had taken to the inward section of the wound in preparation for the vertically jointed dovetail plank of hardwood which would serve as its replacement.

Soon after it would be joined by its mate in the form horizontally dovetailed plank which would serve to replace the water-ward side of the keel. And with that task complete a pair of thick rods would fuse them in an eternal union, for as long as the ship continued to exist.

Overall Khari was proud of how his efforts had come together, all that remained was to carve the dovetails into the uninfected section of keel before beginning the long and arduous task he had set out for himself and the selection of souls roped in to aid them. And for that very reason he found himself hesitating.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:39 am

You're certain of what you saw?

Quite. There is a ship, we should see to it. At least check and see if there's anything that can be done with it. If not, then it would be considered a hazard, would it not?

The pearl had a point, and Fali knew that. They both did. She pressed her fingers to the harness and looked forward, trying to see ahead of her as the creature slipped her head under the waves again. She claimed they would be there soon. The woman had no doubts about that, Nymvas was an intelligent creature, one that knew what she was doing. But her specialty was normally deep sea dives and recovery through those means. She didn't typically find moored ships and rescue them.

A feeling.

"A feeling?" Fali snorted and decided she would just trust. That's all she could do, not quite understanding the way of her darling, at least in this instance. She finally spotted the ship, but that wasn't all noticed up ahead. She looked beyond, and to the sides, as she usually did when she was out for a ride, or on any other mission, and there was someone that appeared to be studying the ship. She wrinkled her nose, wondering what he was doing, and if he was someone from the Flotilla.

I do not recognize them.

Neither do I.

Caution then. They would ride up, as they typically did when it came to strangers, since many were intimidated by the pearls, and see how he reacted to the giant sea dragon. Simple as that. Keeping her distance, Nymvas swam as close as she dared given the danger of the rocks, and let out a soft snarl, while her rider shouted to the man. "Might I inquire as to what you're doing?"
TheLifeweaver

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm

“Might I inquire as to what you’re doing?” A feminine voice questioned from the distance, her question punctuated by a roar from some unfathomable creature. In his surprise the tools of his trade dropped from his hands and struck the ground with a loud thump. There had been no warning of anyone approaching. His co-workers had taken to warning him of approaching outsiders, as to avoid another ‘Great Squawk’ incident; an event where he’d be utterly terrified by the surprise arrival of a dragon during their between training.

For hours it had served as a source of much amusement amongst them until the arrival of the foreman to recover the situation. Khari hadn’t been able to return to work for well over a day having been entirely overwhelmed by the truly alien visage that had graced his vision. They had promised not to let another incident happen by providing him sufficient warning. They’d promised.

Internally he worked through potential scenarios which could have led to this situation and nothing seemed to suitably fit. Knowing that he had very little option but to turn and confront this individual he did so; albeit in an arduously slow fashion. What he beheld slowly forming in his peripheral vision caused his breath to hitch.

A vast serpentine creature of scales sat along the coastline - baring a coloration not unlike the sea-kelp that clung to the ships hull - and yet held an otherworldly shimmer. No doubt the source of the noise he couldn’t help but stare; it was majestic and terrifying. The explanation which had formed to reply to the rider morphed into a sound not unlike a mouse being trodden on. It was a mortifying sound which made his cheeks flush with embarrassment. It had happened again.

His heart raced as he struggled to regain control of himself - to not be left useless - and the laughter towards the aft gave credence to a niggling voice in his head.

“Knew he hadn’t seen a Pearl!” One of the workers gave a hearty laugh receiving a few marks begrudgingly from his fellow. “He’s on call to try fix this tub!” The worker roared towards the rider before returning to his duties, loading another crate onto the wagon Bedeviler was pulling.

Looking down in embarrassment he took a moment to reform a semblance of dignity. “What he said.” Khari grumbled out.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Not only was Fali amused by the response, but Nymvas made a little sound in response as well. Both watched Khari make his sounds and move around while the workers gave them the answer that the man couldn't. The woman saluted and turned back to the singular man with a gentle smile, while the pearl regarded him carefully. Had never seen one of her kind? How was that possible living this close to the coast? She found that kind of fanciful, but then again, they were finding plenty of people, and often enough, that hadn't seen one of them, so she supposed it wasn't that much of an oddity.

Still settled on her pearl's back, Fali leaned forward, hands on her thighs as she regarded Khari carefully, though not in a judgemental sort of way. Then she made a decision and flicked her fingers at him. "You've never seen one of them, huh? Gentlemen, I'm stealing your man here for a moment to introduce him to my Nymvas. Excuse him while I take care of something slightly more important, if you would."

She flicked her fingers at Khari once more, while Nymvas took it upon herself to speak to the young man. If you are worried about how I will react with you so near, you have nothing to fear. I really am very well behaved around strangers. You can ask my rider about that if you so wish, stranger. Oh, though I do not wish to call you a stranger for long, so you should tell us your name.

Fali chuckled and agreed with a nod. "Yes, a name would be lovely if you don't mind. I shall share ours. Title and all. I'm Fali'vas, and this is Nymvas. We are Strikeseconds of Wavesong Strike within the Flotilla." The pearl made a whufflng song in approval, pleased her rider had made mention of the rank they had been given upon their ascension to full riderhood together.